Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Week 328: Dot Torture

Week 328: Dot Torture

Week 328: Dot Torture

Results may be posted until August 8th, 2019.

Designed by: David Blinder
    Range: 3 yards, or shooter's choice
    Target: Ten 2" circles - download here: http://pistol-training.com/wp-conten...ure-target.pdf
    Start position: Varies, see below
    Rounds fired: 50

The basic distance intended for this drill is 3 yards. You may choose another distance if you want. All 50 hits are required to pass. There is no time limit - this is a primarily a marksmanship drill.

Dot 1: Draw and fire one string of 5 rounds for best group. One hole if possible, total 5 rounds.

Dot 2: Draw and fire 1 shot, holster and repeat x 4, total 5 rounds.

Dots 3 and 4: Draw and fire 1 shot on #3, then 1 shot on #4, holster and repeat x 3, total 8 rounds.

Dot 5: Draw and fire string of 5 rounds, strong hand only, total 5 rounds.

Dots 6 and 7: Draw and fire 2 shots on #6, then 2 on #7, holster, repeat x 4, total 16 rounds.

Dot 8: From ready, fire five shots, weak hand only, total 5 rounds.

Dots 9 and 10: Draw and fire 1 shot on #9, speed reload, fire 1 shot on #10, repeat x 3, total 6 rounds.

Total your hits to determine your final score.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Gun and holster used
    Distance
    Total score
    Pass or fail
    Anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

S&W 442 from a safariland 25 pocket holster
    3 yards
    46/50

Of the 4 misses 1 was a bonehead pull on the draw of dot #2, 1 on the doubles from dot #6, 1 on the draw from dot #9, and on dot #3 i couldn't identify a fourth hit or a clear double so I'm taking a miss there as well. I generally suck at sho/who but find a snub easier to handle here. The gun is small and locked into my hand and the da pull isn't as vulnerable to anticipation and snatching like my other guns, for me.

Name:  20190709_102351.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  40.8 KB
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Glock 19 in Kramer belt scabbard (no concealment)

3 yards

46/50 - fail but pretty good for me. Just felt a little shaky and snatched at a couple of the shots. On the up side, shooting the 5-yard Roundup (with my LCR) and Snubby Super Test lately has really helped my SHO/WHO shooting.

Name:  22267ABD-9806-4684-965B-E13F44E5A5C9.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  43.9 KB

S&W 43c from low ready. I just got it today and haven't decided on a holster yet. I have several to try.
    3 yards.
    50/50.
    This is a really fun gun to shoot.
    Name:  IMG_3568.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  33.6 KB

Sig 229R from Safariland ALS/ALS GUARD duty rig
    4yds
    48/50
    Dropped one on 7 and one on 8. Rushed them both.
    FAIL

Noticed: Need to shoot my duty gun more. I just really hate shooting Sigs compared to my CZ.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

For the guys shooting revolvers, how are you navigating the final two dots? Are you doing the reload? Using speed loaders?
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    For the guys shooting revolvers, how are you navigating the final two dots? Are you doing the reload? Using speed loaders?
    With my 43c I just laid the rounds on a blue barrel beside me. Loaded 1, fired, then loaded 1 loose round for the second shot.

Load one loose round, fire, speed strip reload two, fire, speed strip reload two, fire, speed strip reload one, fire.

I've been using dot torture for dry fire and range warm ups a lot the last couple months. Last weekend's results:

44/50 @ 3 yards
    Fail
    S&W Model 640-1
    148 grain cp wadcutters with 158 grain Geco JHP for the reloads.

Observations:

I really need work on single handed shooting. Oddly I'm moderately better WHO than SHO.

I've been focusing a lot on J frame practice the same couple of months. The biggest challenge with Dot Torture has been point of impact. Almost all ammo tried has been 1 to 2 inches low at 3 yards (except Sellior and Ballot 148 grain wadcutters which go about 1" high). Groups have been decent but landing outside the dots unless I aim at the top edge of the dot or above. This session was my first trying the Taurus boot grip. With the new grip, point of impact shifted almost to point of aim. Progress!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    With my 43c I just laid the rounds on a blue barrel beside me. Loaded 1, fired, then loaded 1 loose round for the second shot.
    When I’ve done it with a .38, I used a speed strip from my pocket like I carry .38 reloads normally.

Should shoot this again with my 642.

Mine is strictly a lounge/bug gun so i don't plan to reload it much, and i don't have speedstrips or speedloaders for it yet anyway, so i just loaded from a cargo pocket with loose rounds
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

User Tag List