Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goodbye to (local) law enforcement

Goodbye to (local) law enforcement

I’m about to hang it up after almost 12 years. I’ve been hired for a special agent position with a large state investigative agency (basically a state-level FBI) and will be starting soon. I will be working narcotics, so I’ll be right at home.

I’m excited, but somewhat sad too— I enjoy working for my current agency, I have a lot of good friends here, have had a lot of good times, been able to work dope nearly my entire career, made sergeant, SWAT, firearms instructor, etc. I will definitely miss being the “real police”. But, in the end, this is a huge opportunity for me and I think it will be best for my family in the long run.

Also— I’ll soon be adding a bunch of you local guys to my ignore list.

Funny you post this, some guys here were talking about it the other day. What are the big draws to go statie?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    I’m about to hang it up after almost 12 years. I’ve been hired for a special agent position with a large state investigative agency (basically a state-level FBI) and will be starting soon. I will be working narcotics, so I’ll be right at home.

I’m excited, but somewhat sad too— I enjoy working for my current agency, I have a lot of good friends here, have had a lot of good times, been able to work dope nearly my entire career, made sergeant, SWAT, firearms instructor, etc. I will definitely miss being the “real police”. But, in the end, this is a huge opportunity for me and I think it will be best for my family in the long run.

Also— I’ll soon be adding a bunch of you local guys to my ignore list.

Congratulations! Stay safe and have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. No View Post
    Funny you post this, some guys here were talking about it the other day. What are the big draws to go statie?

For me— the pay is better, the schedule is better, and the ability to stay in investigations the rest of my career, which I would not be able to do at my current department. Nothing wrong with patrol, but investigations is what I really enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. No View Post

I think this is very state and agency dependent. No way I would have spent 30 years on the highway. Fortunately, my old agency is a state police vs highway patrol.

In my case, I wanted to shoot guns, drive fast cars working undercover and chase hot chicks.

Edited to maybe add value. Salary and flexibility in assignments were big issues for me, as was retirement. LSP retires at 3.3% a yr and you can stay for 100% retirement.

I enjoyed being able to move between Narcotics, Intelligence and regular Detectives. A state agency also likely has more resources and technical capabilities.
    Last edited by LSP552; 07-07-2019 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    For me— the pay is better, the schedule is better, and the ability to stay in investigations the rest of my career, which I would not be able to do at my current department. Nothing wrong with patrol, but investigations is what I really enjoy.
    Makes sense. The one we were eyeing does fugitive work and investigations, and you can switch back and forth. Tempting to do fun shit and actually get paid for it..

Congratulations, sounds like a good move.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Congratulations, T. They're fortunate to have you and I wish you a long and rewarding career with your new outfit.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Student
    I'm glad you were able to continue something meaningful to you while being able to take better care of your family.

That is hard enough to accomplish outside the context of law enforcement.

Congratulations. I made a similar move recently. It definitely doesn’t feel great leaving a bunch of your friends behind, but you have to do what’s best for yourself and your family.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

User Tag List