Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Non-Toxic Cleaner

I used to think this stuff is overpriced and it's marketing claims are ridiculous. But ever since getting a sample bottle from a match, I've been using Breakthrough, and in my opinion it is a better solvent than anything else I've tried:

https://www.amazon.com/Breakthrough-...6Z7?th=1&psc=1

The price for smaller bottles is ridiculous. And don't ask me what makes this stuff "military grade"... It only comes in spray bottles, which are great for getting solvent everywhere else than where you wanted it. But this stuff is great for cleaning firearms. Buy in a big bottle and transfer to a better bottle of your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    https://amzn.to/2Lbkzbw

Removes carbon, grease, oil and cosmmoline
    Biodegradable, non-solvent, non-flammable, water based product
    Water based avoids environmental and health safety issues
    Non-petroleum helps eliminates fire hazard and disposal problems
    Non-Caustic helps eliminate caustic burns and fumes
    Thanks, I like, and have several products from Slip 2K. The EWG, EWL, EWL 30 & Gun Lube (15-20wt?). About the cleaner; I have a bottle of Mil-Comm MC-25 'Green' cleaner, that I had bought for my Sigs. It's good stuff, and I still have most of my 32oz bottle. It's somewhat expensive, but not terrible, so I was just shopping for a generic, non-firearms de-greaser, that was considerably cheaper than the 'gun cleaner's.
    The SolSafe 245 stinks, and with the issue of it removing paint from my HK, I don't see me using it much. After my MC-25 is gone, I'll try some Simple Green Industrial Cleaner, that is about $9/24oz.

Name:  simple-green.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  25.1 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    The cat must like it, and the stuff may be good for him. I've been spraying him since 1998. I have arthritis. He doesn't.
    My wife is a nurse, she says use Blue EMU for your arthritis. Not sure what it would do for the cat.....
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

There’s a simple green made specifically for aircraft that doesn’t damage aluminum. That’s what I use for my AR receivers. Haven’t thought to use it on the bore but should work ok.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mkmckinley View Post
    There’s a simple green made specifically for aircraft that doesn’t damage aluminum. That’s what I use for my AR receivers. Haven’t thought to use it on the bore but should work ok.
    I use that "HD Simple Green" version as well, but only for degreasing parts which will then be rinsed and re-coated with something. Why? Because even Simple Green says this stuff should be rinsed off, and I don't want to deal with that during ordinary firearm cleaning.

The two non-toxic cleaners I use (both do not have to be rinsed, and both leave behind a residue that helps against corrosion)
    * MPro-7 (regularly--buy it by the gallon, and it's also gentle enough that I filled a mid-sized rubbermaid with about 2" in the bottom for soaking knives, or other things)
    * Boretech (deep cleaning for bores, less often)

From the non-toxic cleaners is 725 Gun Cleaner Degreaser from Slip 2000 still a good call. Anything similar that shooters prefer? I'm about out of my 725...

*I know when cleaners break up lead you're exposed to toxins. Non-the less I like avoiding old school solvents.
    Aaron D.
    EvoSec
    Evolution Security Podcast

User Tag List