Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non-Toxic Cleaner

Non-Toxic Cleaner

I’ve been using Lubriplate oil & grease, and was hoping they made some kind of aresol parts cleaner, that was high pressure, like brake cleaner. I called them, but they don’t make anything like that. I found this online and will try it when I get back from Albuquerque.
    I like the food grade oil and grease, and wanted a high pressure cleaner to blast the powder residue away, without having to deal with latex gloves.

Name:  FD0E1D78-2F0A-47B3-AFA9-3CDF4DA5BE23.jpg
Views: 801
Size:  44.0 KB
    Last edited by Sauer Koch; 07-07-2019 at 03:44 PM.

Update: sprayed my frame to try and remove powder residue, and noticed that it was removing the red paint on top of my slide stop lever (P30). It definitely doesn't evaporate completely, like regular auto brake cleaner, but it's not that big of a deal, considering this will only be used periodically.

But, the paint issue has me concerned about using it on my slide, considering I have a new set of TruGlo TFX Pro's...I don't want to mess them up.

I guess a generic, non-toxic degreaser, out of a spray bottle, may have enough pressure to blast away the powder residue, so I may give that a try.
    Last edited by Sauer Koch; 07-09-2019 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sauer Koch View Post

I guess a generic, non-toxic degreaser, out of a spray bottle, may have enough pressure to blast away the powder residue, so I may give that a try.
    Maybe something like Formula 88 would work.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Degreaser non-toxic

I found this product online. Haven't used it, but it sounded like something you are looking for. It even says it's good for firearms.

http://liquifix.com/products/degreasers/

Site Supporter
    I reread your post and have a suggestion. Moisten a rag with Rem Oil and wipe away powder residue. A tooth brush applied around sights, levers, and buttons will finish the task. The much maligned WD40 would work well for this external application, but I recommend Rem Oil because it has some lube ability, and if you chose to apply it internally then you would avoid the sin of using WD40 for this purpose. After wiping with Rem Oil, use another rag for tidying up if you prefer. Rem Oil is not a miracle product but succeeds for what it does not do: eating plastic, stinking, creating gum, and harming wood finish. It is a an ok solvent. In this case ok means not damaging.

Blowing off slides and frames with a spray product may not be best technique unless disassembly beyond field stripping is carried out. The reason is that whatever is applied under pressure goes everywhere in and out. Solvents will remove oil. Or they may make what's there start to run with the result that a gummy mess of residue is floating inside while the outside appears clean.

I use WD40 on my neighbors cat who bit me. I spray the bastard every chance I get. That's why I have a can of this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post

I use WD40 on my neighbors cat who bit me. I spray the bastard every chance I get.
    You really shouldn't tempt my meager abilities of restraint with such...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    You really shouldn't tempt my meager abilities of restraint with such...
    The cat must like it, and the stuff may be good for him. I've been spraying him since 1998. I have arthritis. He doesn't.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    There's no such thing as non-toxic gun cleaner, because the instant you put it on the gun and start mixing it with the stuff you're trying to clean, it becomes toxic.

Also, blowing it off with air aerosolizes all the stuff. There are lots of "non toxic" cleaners that you don't want to breathe as aerosols.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

https://amzn.to/2Lbkzbw

Removes carbon, grease, oil and cosmmoline
    Biodegradable, non-solvent, non-flammable, water based product
    Water based avoids environmental and health safety issues
    Non-petroleum helps eliminates fire hazard and disposal problems
    Non-Caustic helps eliminate caustic burns and fumes
    #RESIST

My personal favorite non toxic cleaner by far.

https://amzn.to/2ZETJfR
    Last edited by Colt191145lover; 09-01-2019 at 01:40 AM.

User Tag List