Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Use of lights

Use of lights

I want to learn more about the use of handheld and WML's in a civilian defensive role. Where would be a good place to start?

My only exposure so far has been the Ballistic Radio episode about handheld lights with @Chuck Haggard and a Panteo video I watched over a year ago.

You should be commended for seeking out instruction and training on an important aspect of personal defense, IMO.
    Hardware is important, but one can really get “into the weeds” with all the choices nowadays. Again, my opinion, but buy quality first: Streamlight, Surefire and recently Maglite all have excellent products, and get one(or two) that fit your
    lifestyle/carrying circumstances. I’m enough of a nerd to where I have a couple of lights within reach, but get one asap.
    Claude Werner(search “Tactical professor”) has some simple but effective suggestions. In many classes, there is a “low light” component, but these are introductions to technique and familiarization firing. GUNSITE is one place that has an evening dedicated to low light/darkness. Thunder Ranch is another immersive school with usually a dedicated session.
    Rogers classes almost always include an evening session.
    For research, I’d also look at some of the material by Mike Seeklander. Surefire “Field Notes” have some good and quick highlights by competent people.
    FWIW, personally I have a couple of techniques-neck index and “Harries” I dry practice, and that would be a strong recommendation.
    Good luck in your journey

I'm teaching a class in SLC next year on this subject.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Not seeing it posted on your calendar; Date-details?
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Yes, do tell......

Thunder Ranch's website has a DVD that covers use of lights among other things.

https://thunderranchinc.com/product/...d-tactics-dvd/
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

The DHGII Low Light class I took at TR in the nineties has held up really well. I would trust Clint and Heidi to have cautiously advanced the curriculum. There are a lot of great shooting schools, but TR is a really good fighting school.

That said, I’ve trained with Chuck Haggard, am aware that he’s an SME, and would say that if illuminating the fight is your primary focus that’s the slickest way to get there.
    Ignore Alien Orders

And of course among that list of light manufacturers, do not forget Malkoff. Having owned many, it is my preferred brand for serious use.

I took the Low Light Pistol Operator course at the Sig Academy, but that was 100% in conjunction with the use of a handgun. Instruction on using the light alone would be time and $$ well spent.

Boy, that podcast delivers over and over. Maybe the most informative one out there.

User Tag List