Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why we clean and inspect

Why we clean and inspect

In our “two is one, one is none” world - one thing that tends to fall to the wayside is periodic inspection and maintenance. We shoot or use something until it breaks, diagnose the failure, and repair.

“Don’t fix what isn’t broken” is commonly spouted. But what constitutes broken? A failure prone part or one that clearly shows some sign of weakening should be replaced. “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.”

Today, as part of my bi-annual handgun maintenance day, I took down my most carried guns and cleaned and inspected them. In the process I found this on the slide stop of my 2011.

Name:  A5F80BE7-5B77-4469-90B9-2BA5D3912972.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  22.7 KB

This void is clearing a casting issue. But it was covered initially by the finish of the part and then gunk from shooting. It wasn’t until I gave it a thorough degreasing and inspection that I found this defect. It’s not that big a deal, I now will sideline the gun until I acquire a replacement, fit it, and subsequently test it to my satisfaction (this is why we have multiple guns!). But now I can do this before the slide stop breaks and locks up my gun mid-shooting. And this is why we clean and inspect our guns carefully.

Exactly. I stripped my P30 v1 last night, discovered rust on the cylindrical pin on the hammer bearing, as well as the hammer strut. This was post dip in the Hocking river, followed by a clean water rinse. This v1 also served as my suppressor host for about 1000 rounds. The amount of carbon build up combined with river crud was impressive. A bit more oil and regular maintenance as you suggest, would probably have prevented the rust. Always a good reminder.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Exactly. I stripped my P30 v1 last night, discovered rust on the cylindrical pin on the hammer bearing, as well as the hammer strut. This was post dip in the Hocking river, followed by a clean water rinse. This v1 also served as my suppressor host for about 1000 rounds. The amount of carbon build up combined with river crud was impressive. A bit more oil and regular maintenance as you suggest, would probably have prevented the rust. Always a good reminder.

In the past I've found that using WD40 for what it's designed for (Water Displacement formula 40...) after a tap water rinse, then spraying with something like Gun Scrubber to get the WD40 out, then lubing as I normally would, works really well to keep rust out of the gun after it's been underwater and I can't detail the gun out anytime soon.

I've also found this works after your Glock has been in sea water. Tap water, hotel blow dryer, then lube can also get you by post salt water exposure.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    In the past I've found that using WD40 for what it's designed for (Water Displacement formula 40...) after a tap water rinse, then spraying with something like Gun Scrubber to get the WD40 out, then lubing as I normally would, works really well to keep rust out of the gun after it's been underwater and I can't detail the gun out anytime soon.
    <thread drift>
    My retirement job is working in a bike shop. I've had a version of the following conversation numerous times:

Me: "Your chain's rusted and seized to the point it needs to be replaced. What do you lube it with?"

Customer: "WD-40."

Me: "WD-40 isn't a lubricant."

Customer: "Huh?"
    </thread drift>

This was a good time for me, needing to order a replacement slide stop had me go through and order a bunch of PM parts I needed for other guns too (springs, etc).

Now to wait on the box of goodies from Brownells to arrive.

Ended up going with a 10-8 Gen 2 slide stop. I like Yam's parts in general and a machined barstock piece won't have a casting void in it.

Along these same lines, I regularly de-fuzz my EDC guns (you know, all that lint and fuzz that accumulates from being carried). It only takes a few minutes with an old toothbrush, oral compressed-air source, a Q-Tip and some Slip 2000 EWL, serving as part of this often-forgotten inspection and maintenance routine.

Good topic.

I know I don't have to clean, but enjoy the whole cleaning and inspecting thing anyway.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Along these same lines, I regularly de-fuzz my EDC guns (you know, all that lint and fuzz that accumulates from being carried).
    On my to-do list for tonight, thanks for the reminder. Since PX4s like to be run wet, it'll get re-lubed too.
    Last edited by revchuck38; 07-07-2019 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I've also found this works after your Glock has been in sea water. Tap water, hotel blow dryer, then lube can also get you by post salt water exposure.
    There is a reason that a G26 is my kayak gun...

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    There is a reason that a G26 is my kayak gun...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

User Tag List