Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: School Me On SIG P-22X Known Issues

I've got a 1998 non-railed P229 in .357 Sig and an assortment of other Sigs that range from a 1988 P220 to a 320RX (with "upgrade" ). They all run but that P229 is the nicest of the bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    @HCountyGuy, @Thy.Will.Be.Done,

I'd stick to older P229s if you're looking at .357. The FAMS have been having a lot of problems recently. They had an entire generation that couldn't make it past 6,000 rounds without the frame cracking, despite a designed service life of over 40,000 rounds. "Some" of the next purchase/replacements exhibited that as well, but in addition they've noted a surge in other problems: slide breakage, firing pin breakage, deforming/breaking roll pins, and improperly assembled guns from the factory. The result being that two generations could only go 1/8th of the designed lifespan. On the third generation of replacements in 2017, they were also fucked up and the FAMS had to do an entire service wide recall due to issues with springs causing the guns to spontaneously die.

From what I can tell there are significant widespread issues with the legacy P-series, and for a inordinate amount of LE agencies they all seem to have started in 2013, and are not going away.

Take the hint. SIG doesn't want you buying their product. How the FAMS haven't just said, "Fuck it, we're done" and bought the G19M as a tried and true COTS solution, IDK. Politics. I think they're going to have the "pick of the litter" over the next couple years when they hopefully, finally migrate to a new platform.

FWIW: I've heard of other agencies having issues, but what I heard wasn't specific enough information for me to feel confident sharing. Please believe me that what I've wrote here and in that other thread is only the tip of the iceberg of what I've heard from other LEOs, and I'm only trying to report specific, credible information.
    I’ve kept up with the issues in the numerous threads about them, including the one you linked. I’m not particularly looking to buy in to newer Sigs because of the atrocious QC issues and the 320 debacle, even though the P320 X series intrigues me some. If I get a P229 in .357 Sig, it’d be an older non-railed variant.

FWIW regarding the FAMS, one local to the Atlanta area mentioned they might be adopting the X-Carry. That was about a year ago though, no word on how things have progressed on that front.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Site Supporter
    I have heard Glock because of the problems with Sig. We will see.

Would P226R with SIGARMS marked frame (German) and slide be considered old enough to avoid potential problems in .357 SIG? I've found a good deal on Police Trade-ins that are in good condition sub $350...

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    You want a milled, not folded slide for greatest durability/lowest maintenance (no changing breech block roll pins).

Avoid internal extractors in milled slides. There are lots of different variations and they all suck.

Short external extractors are generally considered less problematic than long external extractors, but still don't have a perfect record. Bruce Gray at one point developed a machined steel short external extractor, but it's no longer findable on his web site.

P226s have fewer reports of extractor issues than P229s.

P229s in 9mm have more reports of extractor issues than P229s in .40. The sample size doesn't seem to be big enough for me to have a good read on .357, but I would speculate it's more likely to be similar to .40.

If you get a milled locking block rather than MIM, and/or a "circle-dot" takedown lever, you got lucky.

Other threads on here discuss problematic takedown lever variants; like internal extractors, it's something they got wrong a lot of times, but seems to be reasonably stable the past few years. If someone like Bruce Gray is reading this, it seems like a takedown lever with a machined chromo pin would be a reasonably marketable upgrade part. (I'd be in for several.) At least the pin could be pumped out on a screw machine pretty easily.

Most other details are up/back datable.

That's kinda my accumulated quick guide wisdom.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 07-10-2019 at 05:26 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    Would P226R with SIGARMS marked frame (German) and slide be considered old enough to avoid potential problems in .357 SIG? I've found a good deal on Police Trade-ins that are in good condition sub $350...
    $350, I'd roll the dice.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

What about the MK25 P226's? I'd always heard they were a safe bet and they don't seem to have incorporated the newer "features". I don't have any first-hand experience with one other than putting a few rounds through someone else's. My very small sample size of one P226R was made in 2011 and worked just fine over about 1,000 rounds, but it just didn't do it for me. I found I much prefered the Beretta's, but ended up getting on the Glock train about that time and haven't really gotten off since other then little dabbles here and there.

I’d go for it as it sounds like a pre-Cohen gun and likely has better QC. Maybe even throw down a link for some others here if it’s online.

As far as older internal extractors, while it’s only a sample of one, my P228 extracts better than most other guns I’ve handled. Even when I’m cycling snap-caps, that thing will throw stuff across the room.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

I would post a link but I am not sure I want to be an enabler firstly, secondly I doubt anybody here would care... it's. DAK trigger and I got the impression nobody liked them here. Anybody who want the link though, just let me know and I can get it for you.

Does anybody feel that the 226 or 229 makes for a better .357 SIG launcher? I have not found many .357 SIG 229 out there, sadly.

secondly I doubt anybody here would care... it's. DAK trigger and I got the impression nobody liked them here. .
    I like the DAK trigger. But I am strange.

It is not a great speed/game trigger, but it IS a great carry/people management trigger.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

User Tag List