Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: School Me On SIG P-22X Known Issues

School Me On SIG P-22X Known Issues

I am looking at either P226 or P229 of newer vintage, produced in USA. Have heard many complaints about SIG quality being poor across the board but was wondering what the alleged known issues are with them and how to avoid problems if you were to get a used on secondary market.

Thanks in advance

FWIW, I have 2-226’s, & 2-229’s (M11 A-1), all USA models, purchased in Jan ‘16 and later. Nothing negative at all to report with them. They’ve been very reliable, and I have no complaints with them at all.

Google New Jersey State Police Sig lawsuit.

Here are my agency’s Sig issues out of (30) 226s and @(20) 229s. All 9mm. 226s have long extractor. 229s are Legacy models w short extractor. Late 2013 manufacture.

226s - out of spec trigger bars on at least 4 which prevents the trigger from resetting. 2 where the pin that is pressed in and holds tension on the seat spring sheered off, causing the gun to not fire and the slide to seize.

229s - we didn’t have any issues til recently. Tried to issue NIB 229s to a couple new guys and we ran into the same problem NJSP did - FTE which we could not figure out a cause. Lawman 124TMJ ammo. Ended up issuing the new guys used 226s instead.

Not sure what’s going on w the 229s since I’m not an armorer anymore.

Name:  B58F6115-8FDB-4187-B0EB-5434397B312A.jpg
Views: 955
Size:  33.3 KB
    Name:  85F490D2-62CA-4A58-93AC-137EED7C4E4E.jpg
Views: 1018
Size:  45.5 KB
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Not sure what’s going on w the 229s since I’m not an armorer anymore.
    That's interesting. I had assumed based on my experiences with an M11-A1 and Winchester White Box cases being irregularly machined that the NJSP was at least long extractor problems; I was pretty sure that occurred in the long extractor era. First reports I can remember of P229s specifically with short external extractors having FTExtract issues.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

We replaced extractors, springs swapped different barrels and top ends back and forth. Tried different shooters, everything we could think of. Totally unpredictable as to what was going on. Used ammo from the same lot in my CZ, a Springfield XD and a variety of 226s without issue.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I actually found that NJSP Lawsuit yesterday before posting here, the first article I found had comment from the man claiming to have dealt the pistols to NJSP,, excerpt from the following article (in the comments section) : https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/ne...tioning-p229s/

"Thomas J. Morris III says:
    May 18, 2017 at 13:36
    Greetings,

They bought the guns through me. They carried CCI/Speer 53618 Gold Dot for duty and practiced with the CCI/Speer 53651 which were the same loads they carried/shot in the 228’s they replaced.

Yes, I chopped up the 3,400 German made 228’s. It was required by the Contract. Yes, I almost cried.

To the best of my knowledge and belief, the new weapons cycled the Gold Dot flawlessly. They did not like the 53651 ball. That is why they continued to carry them on duty. The problems were on the range, not on the street.

I believe they did not like the Federal American Eagle AE9AP any better than the 53651.

No, I have not heard of a top of the line weapon that would feed and eject standard velocity hollow points but not an FMJ or TMJ. So no, it was NOT an ammunition problem.

The problem was solved when Sig finally figured it out and agreed to replace the entire slide and gave the NJSP 200 of the new slides. The new slides I am told worked fine.

It appears the upper levels of both the NJSP and Sig Sauer were by this time both aggravated with one another, the NJSP upper levels did not want the replacement slides even though they fixed the problem, and bought Glocks which are, in my opinion, dangerous in the hands of non-shooters, as you need to fire them to take them down. We lost the local PD LT. who went back to the station, cleared his weapon, THEN dropped the mag., pointed it at his thigh, squeezed the trigger, and bled to death by the coffee machine. Nope, the Sig. and Heckler & Koch are far superior weapons.

And that is the long and short of it. The rest was politics and personalities and had nothing to do with the serviceability of the weapons. The ammunition was never an issue or ever suspected of being the problem. CCI/Speer and Federal ammunition work great in just about everything and the NJSP and NJ DOC still shoot Federal and CCI/Speer.

Best regards,
    Thomas J. Morris III
    Major USMCR (retired)
    Member NJ/PA/OH Bars
    Eagle Point Gun/T.J.Morris & Son
    1707 Third Street
    Thorofare, New Jersey 08086
    PH 856-848-6945
    FX 856-394-2938
    EM majortjmorrisiii@comcast.net"

May 18, 2017 at 14:11
    To the best of my knowledge and belief, they did not eat any type of ball. If they did, then I was not aware of it. And I would have known."

October 11, 2018 at 14:21
    My comment of 18MAY17 at 1336 summed it all up in a nutshell. They bought the weapons from me. All 3,000 of them. They had a slide problem. The new slides fixed the problem. Ammunition was not an issue (they got a lot of it from me). Maintenance was not an issue. Personality conflict at upper levels caused the switch after the problem was solved and Sig had already sent the NJSP the first 200 replacement slides. The 229 is a beautiful weapon. So was the 228."

In before mention of Cohen?
    #RESIST

Honestly now that Sig has started putting out “Classic Carry” P229 models (new production of legacy features) it wouldn’t surprise me to learn they found a way to goof up what made the older design work.

Of the two P229s I’ve had, both long extractor models, only one had an issue with the barrel hood being oversized and it impeded manual slide manipulation (racking the slide for whatever reason). While it never caused a stoppage, I sent it to Sig to fix just in case.

I’m sure the overall consensus here is that Sig is still a bit of a dumpster fire. From what I gather your odds are better with a P226 than a P229, but it’s still a bit more of a gamble than the other known-quality manufacturers.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Site Supporter
    With acknowledgement of the experience of those posting above, I have had two of the legacy (half height serrations and short extractors) P229s and have had no issues. One in .40 that I sold at around 3K to fund the same model in 9mm. I just shot out the original recoil spring (over 3700 rnds. Replacing for PM) with exactly one malfunction. Ftf with one of my reloads. I am no longer a SIG fanboy but with such a solid gun, I had no reason other than want, to sell it and pick up the G19 I wanted. I even had a thread about it. I literally bet my life on it as it’s my carry piece.

As well, I have recently put a couple of hundred through both .357 and .40 P229 legions with complete reliability. The owners report no issues either.
    Last edited by TOTS; 07-08-2019 at 12:22 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    In before mention of Cohen?
    The name we do not speak! Man, what a way to F up a company reputation if not the company!

User Tag List