Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whats the general opinion of the S&W 6946?

Whats the general opinion of the S&W 6946?

Thinking of picking one up after i pay off something else. Ive heard 3rd gen smiths are great guns.....

They were ahead of their time. Nicely sized, decent trigger pull, short reset! Under cut trigger guard. A lotof bang for the buck!

It was our issued duty gun from 1992-99. Every shot double action trigger pull. There was an early problem with the “trigger bar” breaking on some guns, but S&W came up with a modification that solved the issue. It runs better when kept well lubed. A solid performer in my opinion.

3rd gen Smiths are cool but support and parts are limited. Get it for a collectible/fun gun but beyond that I'd consider something else.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

I own a Smith & Wesson model 6946 along with a host of other S&W 9mm and .40 caliber Gen3. I carried S&W models 15 and 19 on the job so I'm very comfortable with the double action Smith trigger. This trigger is so nice and smooth it is a joy to shoot. It is not a true double because it is pre-cocked and much friendier than the first pull on a TDA (DA/SA) model, such as a model 6906.

The lack of a safety-decocker makes the pistol thinner and a plus for conceal carry. You don't need to remember a manual of arms when the SHTF to fumble with when pressured by a life-threatening incident. I carry my 6946 in an OWB Hughes Avenger style holster.

I feel strongly about carrying DAO semi-auto for CCW and have a 3953 and a 4053 which play a dominant role in my carry selection. Only my Walther PPS40 is a Gen3 exception and is carried on those rare occasion when I wear a suit or sports jacket.

Don't worry about parts availability. These pistols were built to last for decades of use by police and military, and S&W, Midway, Numrich, and others should be able to take care of your needs for the foreseeable future. It would take a wad of money to run one of these into the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    3rd gen Smiths are cool but support and parts are limited. Get it for a collectible/fun gun but beyond that I'd consider something else.
    This. You cannot even get a recoil spring guide rod for a S&W 4506 anymore (some were staked and could separate). I don't know what else you cannot acquire, but parts are definitely limited.

6906 regret

I had a S&W 6906. Bought it new. Just didn't shoot it that much........my fault, not the pistols. I have so wanted it back, but years ago I traded it for another firearm. I still am on the lookout for one, but not burning up the road looking.

Parts are drying up, but here is a place to buy parts other than the frame. Never used them, just a parts option.

https://everygunpart.com/handgun-kit...nufacturer=552

Site Supporter
    I love the Smith 69 series guns. I have a 6904--I think it's pretty much everything you'd want in a compact-ish double stack, double action 9. Not sure there's really anything that offers the same size/footprint/features, nowadays. Mine's never had an issue and shoots very well.

I don't have any first-hand experience with DAO 3rd gens... but I'd say my 3rd gens have the best DA pulls of all my DA/SA guns. Fairly heavy, but very consistent with no stacking and no "sight jostle" when the hammer falls. And... I've heard the DAO guns have even better DA pulls vs. the DA/SA guns. Plus, you don't have the decock lever sticking off the slide.

True, parts aren't in current production. But they're sturdy, well made guns. And police trade-ins ones are still all over gunbroker, at cheap prices. You could get a few of 'em.

Banned
    I really like third generation S&Ws but as Big Hoss mentioned parts and accessories such as magazines are hard to find. There's also little aftermarket support.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Magazines are still easy AFAIK, thanks to Mecgar.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List