Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: PF cat thread

Site Supporter
    This is Cammie, a semi-feral calico we "adopted" from my parents' house after she adopted them. She was very comfortable with them and their house, but one of their dogs wouldn't tolerate the cat inside the house and they were afraid she'd get hit by a car on the busy road they lived on. We brought her home. She settled into indoor life quickly, but has taken a couple years to really warm up to people. She likes being with us, but isn't overly affectionate. She has been getting better over time, but she'll never been the type of cat who will snuggle up with you on the couch or bed. She's more personable and vocal in the mornings. She gets along great with our dog and engages in back and forth chases and other shenanigans (that's also the restaurant Farva likes).

Name:  cat.jpg
Views: 742
Size:  23.4 KB

She also likes my tactical lifestyle magazines:
    Name:  tactical_cat.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  83.3 KB

Chris

This is Jaxon. We adopted him almost exactly two years ago. We lived in a very rural area for about a year and a half of that time and learned that Jaxon preferred to be an outdoor cat. We’d let him out in the mornings and he’d come back around sundown. Our neighbors were German Shepherd breeders who also ran a boarding kennel. They told us that Jaxon would climb on top of the kennel walls and look down on all the dogs that were staying there. Jaxon ended up murdering many small woodland creatures during his time there. He’d occasionally leave the bottom halves of squirrels and bunnies in the yard. I guess he liked the top halves better. On one occasion, we had some friends over for dinner and, because it was so hot, we left the front door open with a little baby gate across it to keep the dogs in. Jaxon immediately hopped the gate and went outside. I said he’d probably bring something home because that was his habit if he went outside prior to having his inside meal. About an hour later Jaxon hopped back over the baby gate holding a traumatized, but otherwise unharmed, bunny. He was very disappointed when we took it away from him and sent it on it’s way.

Now that we live in a suburban area, Jaxon has to stay inside because I don’t want him getting run over or stolen. He doesn’t like this new arrangement.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Our last cat, adopted as a kitten from the local pound, killed our older cat by continually harrassing him. The older car was the cool one, the younger an absolute prick. Had to be dropped off at the same pound after the chihuahua came around the corner while the wife was holding him, and he bit the wife bad enough to require a trip to the ER with a nasty infection. The chihuahua was here when the cat came to live with us as a kitten.

Currently, my working bloodline malinois likes to eat pussy, so....no cats.

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 07-08-2019 at 12:47 AM.

Found this long-haired royal meowing outside my door one night 10 years ago, abandoned, underweight, unkempt, with ear mites but otherwise healthy. My first cat, she's become a good friend and helped me through some difficult times.

Her name is Penelope.

Name:  PJ.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  62.7 KB
    Last edited by ArgentFix; 07-08-2019 at 01:15 AM.

Site Supporter
    Cats not warming up to people may not have been socialized early enough despite having arrived as kittens. That plus genetics can interact to produce an animal uncomfortable with people.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Cats not warming up to people may not have been socialized early enough despite having arrived as kittens. That plus genetics can interact to produce an animal uncomfortable with people.
    That's what our vet explained to me as well. That said, Cammie has been showing increasing signs that she not only accepts us, but trusts us as well. She's growing more tolerant of handling (picking up, holding for increasing lengths of time, etc) and showing other behaviors or signs that indicate she feels more comfortable. She'll probably never be a "lap cat", but she's definitely more of a family member than she was a couple years ago.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    My problem child girl was adopted as a kitten. I think she's just wild through genetics.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    My problem child girl was adopted as a kitten. I think she's just wild through genetics.
    At what age though? The vet explained to me that socialization has to take place pretty early. We got ours as a kitten as well. She's not fully wild and doesn't spray in the house, but she's certainly not cuddly and fully people-oriented.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    At what age though? The vet explained to me that socialization has to take place pretty early. We got ours as a kitten as well. She's not fully wild and doesn't spray in the house, but she's certainly not cuddly and fully people-oriented.

Chris
    Pretty damn early, earlier than my other cat (who turned out great).
    #RESIST

3/5ths of my gang... the other two would not sign the release form to have their photo published ;-)

"A man's character is his fate."

User Tag List