Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: Suitable books for a 13yo boy

Site Supporter

RFI: Suitable books for a 13yo boy

My oldest son came to me tonight to ask if he might read my copy of The Terminal List, which I told him I didn't think was a good idea yet.

He's always been a pretty voracious reader though and is ready for something new. He's read through the Harry Potter series a few times as well as several of the Rick Rourdan series based on various mythologies.

I'm glad he's interested in some adventures and heros that are a little more mortal and less mythical but am looking for some suitable PG13ish titles to direct him too.

He shoots, does archery, hunts, fishes, camping, and scouts. He's interested in rock climbing and getting his scuba cert. He's been canoeing and white water rafting. Of course as a 13yo he's also into video games.

Any suggestions you may have along those lines will be appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    My oldest son came to me tonight to ask if he might read my copy of The Terminal List, which I told him I didn't think was a good idea yet.

He's always been a pretty voracious reader though and is ready for something new. He's read through the Harry Potter series a few times as well as several of the Rick Rourdan series based on various mythologies.

I'm glad he's interested in some adventures and heros that are a little more mortal and less mythical but am looking for some suitable PG13ish titles to direct him too.

He shoots, does archery, hunts, fishes, camping, and scouts. He's interested in rock climbing and getting his scuba cert. He's been canoeing and white water rafting. Of course as a 13yo he's also into video games.

Any suggestions you may have along those lines will be appreciated!
    Johnny Tremain. Great story for someone his age.

As a kid I read anything with words on it. Including cereal boxes, and some
    books my folks were not necessarily pleased that I'd found. I had a library card
    at school and at a small library downtown where the selection was different than
    at the school.

I turned out OK despite reading like that.

Narnia Series, The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings are books I read about that age. Those are more on the mythical/fantastical side.

Hondo by Louis L'Amour or really any book by that author.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Too bad there is not a modern adaptation of the Tom Swift series.

Louis L'Amour jumps to mind - they are pretty straight forward, for the most part don't have any R rated stuff in them, have a moral and pretty much encourage men to be men.

I started reading them while I was in the Marines, and even today, 50 years later, consider them a good 'sport' read on a lazy day.

I'd recommend WEB Griffin, but his stuff, while good IMO, are pretty much Harlequin Romances for men.

I don' think all of Clancy's stuff is PG13, but overall, I wouldn't see much objectionable that a 13-year-old shouldn't be perusing.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

The Tarzan books, John Carter of Mars.

If you can find them look for the Arrowmaker series by Roy Chandler. They are historical fiction and well written.

Just off the top of my head...

Not sure if it runs up against the same objections as Terminal List, but I was getting into Tom Clancy at that age. Without Remorse is probably less of a good idea, Hunt for Red October and Patriot Games perhaps moreso.

If fantasy is an option, the Wheel of Time series is pretty good (and will keep him occupied for a while if he reads the whole series). It's a high-fantasy world, but the protagonists are very grounded. Chronicles of Narnia is also a good series.
    Grab your gun and bring in the cat.

Site Supporter
    Louis L'Amour westerns basically ignited my love of reading at that age.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Hatchet, and anything else by Gary Paulsen.

Lord of the Rings, Fahrenheit 451, Three Musketeers, Count of Monte Cristo, etc.
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

User Tag List