Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: PF cat thread

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Saw the damndest thing today. In Montana, there is a neighbor white cat, that we often see cruising around. Saw that cat today, and it was on its belly in tall grass, trying to sneak up on a covey of Hungarian partridge that live near us. Wanna be bird dog!
    Casa are amazing. Hungarian partridge, iguanas, whatever.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Casa are amazing. Hungarian partridge, iguanas, whatever.
    Heck, when wife and I were first dating, she had a large, elderly, female tabby (cleverly named Tabby) that I've watched, more than once, stalk black tail deer through a grass field. Maybe she was an optimist, but she was utterly convinced she could take that ruminant if she could just get close enough...

Miss that cat. She (allegedly) hated everyone but liked to sit on my lap and get scritches.. RIP tabby girl.
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

I've got a good one. Not long after I got out of the Marines and was living the lonely bachelor life, my parents found a tiny abandoned kitten at the end of the dock by their place on the Pamlico Sound. They fed him table scraps, named him Scraps, of course, and gave him to me so I'd have some company. Maybe a year later my sister at NC State found a black kitten wandering the streets of Raleigh on Halloween, named him Halloween, of course, and gave him to me to keep me and Scraps company.

Some years later, in the fall of 1997, Scraps suddenly became very ill. I was doing drilled shaft foundation inspection at a large resort hotel at the time. I took Scraps to the vet in the morning and dropped him off on my way to work. The vet called and said it was sudden onset kidney failure and there wasn't much he could do other than put him on an IV and give him pain meds until I could get back to the office and say goodbye. When I got there that afternoon he put him down as I held him and I cried my eyes out. I took him home and put him in a Rocky boot box in the garage so Halloween (aka Weeners) could see that his brother had crossed the rainbow bridge.

The next morning I took Scraps in the boot box to work with me. I had inspected and passed off on an 80' deep, 48" diameter shaft the previous afternoon and they were set up to pour the concrete that morning. I told the crane operator that I needed to go back down and recheck the bottom and I took Scraps down with me and laid him to rest. A little while later he had 80' of concrete on him and I inscribed his name and dates in the wet concrete at the top of the shaft. Now he has a resort hotel as a headstone and every time we drive by it on the interstate I wave and say "hi Scraps", which kinda weirds out my grandson. Years later I ran into the developer's project manager when I was checking out a house for his father in law and I told him the story. He about wet himself laughing. Weeners lived to be 21 and he's just buried in the back yard, no grandiose edifice. Since my wife is allergic we haven't replaced them, and I sure do miss having cats around.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    My mom's old black cat looked like a Siberian. Best cat evar. Lived with her longer than I did.

Her current cats are both morons. They will let me pet them when they are on her bed, totally get into it, purr loudly, etc. If they are anywhere else, they run away, one of them making the effort to hiss just to make sure I know he's an idiot.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Attachment 77201

This is the kitten my daughter and I rescued from the engine compartment of her car two weeks ago. It stowed away and rode an hour then spent the night before we knew it was there.
    Lucky little thing.
    I've lost 2 cats getting in the engine bay and being killed by the radiator fan when I cranked up.

A friend's cat survived startup.
    The vet sewed him up and he lived a normal span.
    But you could part his long fur and see him stitched up like a patchwork quilt.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    My brother is quite the fan of Lord of the Rings...as one can see by his replica of Anduril

Tis only fitting when he adopted a cat that he give an appropriate name...and like many cats, Frodo will often sit wherever he damn well pleases.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Was heading out to the barn before work yesterday morning and found these two on the driveway in a mud puddle, soaked and shivering.
    Did not look like they had much chance, figured I can at least bring them in and let them pass somewhere warm...
    Name:  20220920_064625.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  67.0 KB
    Name:  20220920_070935.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  70.0 KB

...however they are proving to be tough little bastards and have taken residence
    on my night stand demanding feeding about every 60-90 minutes
    The vet thinks I found them within hours of being born. As of this post, they made it through their first night, about 30 hours old and still seem pretty strong.
    They still have an uphill battle yet, hopefully I can get them there.
    Name:  20220920_170913.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  57.7 KB
    Name:  20220920_220208.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  69.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Artemas2 View Post
    Was heading out to the barn before work yesterday morning and found these two on the driveway in a mud puddle, soaked and shivering.
    Did not look like they had much chance, figured I can at least bring them in and let them pass somewhere warm...
    Name:  20220920_064625.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  67.0 KB
    Name:  20220920_070935.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  70.0 KB

...however they are proving to be tough little bastards and have taken residence
    on my night stand demanding feeding about every 60-90 minutes
    The vet thinks I found them within hours of being born. As of this post, they made it through their first night, about 30 hours old and still seem pretty strong.
    They still have an uphill battle yet, hopefully I can get them there.
    Name:  20220920_170913.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  57.7 KB
    Name:  20220920_220208.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  69.6 KB
    Thank you for taking care of them like that. Compassionate acts like these serve to remind that there are good people everywhere. Kudos to you.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    My George was a 3-week-old rescue. A friend took him in, kept him warm, and bottle-fed him. He had maggots on an open cut on one thigh, which she treated. He apparently was a bear to get to take a bottle, but he did.

He had a couple of idiosyncrasies. From spending so much time in a bathroom sink, getting his wound washed out, he regarded bathroom sinks as his safe spot. He also seemed to think that, on some level, he was people, because he always wanted people food. Another friend who had lots of cats told me "give him some raw beef, he'll go nuts over that."

So I did. He walked over to his dish, sniffed it, then looked up at me. I could almost sense him asking "well, aren't you going to cook it?" He stalked off, with his tail giving me lots of attitude. After that, I always made sure that if if I was cutting off a piece of meat for him, he got the most-done part.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List