Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: PF cat thread

I know I've posted this before, but neither Ratbane nor I care.

Name:  Jet.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  92.7 KB
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by drjaydvm View Post
    Butters the best cat
    If that cat yawns much wider, he's gonna swallow his own head.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Somebody got high on catnip and is now playfighting with my daughter, purring, and rolling around in the catnip, damn druggie

#HighKittyPie

Name:  B325D389-B387-4C38-8402-3C3A80823437.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  50.3 KB

Name:  B51E29F1-05B4-4241-A8B9-3387F2846F80.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  50.1 KB
    #RESIST

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I like cats. Grew up with them. Have tried rescuing two this year. First one had a broken leg and tested positive for feline leukemia. Fuck cancer, even in kitties.

The second one was cute as heck and a sweetheart, but I was allergic. "Just a little anaphylaxis" isn't really a thing people say.

There's a new stray that's trying to establish my yard as his territory and is crapping all over the place and not burying it, like a dog. I had to scoop the lawn with a shovel before mowing today. For the first time, I understand how non-cat people can think they are disgusting, filthy animals.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    The second one was cute as heck and a sweetheart, but I was allergic. "Just a little anaphylaxis" isn't really a thing people say.
    I am allergic as well but research into breeds that are less likely to provoke allergies helped me (there is apparently no such thing as a hypoallergenic cat and it's not dander, like with dogs, that provokes the allergy). As this was over two years ago, I don't remember all the details, but it turns out that Russian Blues and Siberians are much less likely to provoke allergies.

I spent some time in a small enclosure with rescue Russian Blues to test whether they would affect me and I had no allergic reaction. Persephone (who is actually a Russian Blue/Chartreux mix) rubs against my face and I'm fine.

Here she's decided that my chair is hers :-)

Name:  IMG_2371.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  22.8 KB
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Siberians are much less likely to provoke allergies.
    My mom has a Siberian who was awesome, and I was not allergic to him at all. He lived with her longer than I did, lasting past 20 years. Wonderful, big, floofy boy.

That doesn't help me with the fact that my backyard smells like cat poop now.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    I am allergic as well but research into breeds that are less likely to provoke allergies helped me (there is apparently no such thing as a hypoallergenic cat and it's not dander, like with dogs, that provokes the allergy). As this was over two years ago, I don't remember all the details, but it turns out that Russian Blues and Siberians are much less likely to provoke allergies.

I spent some time in a small enclosure with rescue Russian Blues to test whether they would affect me and I had no allergic reaction. Persephone (who is actually a Russian Blue/Chartreux mix) rubs against my face and I'm fine.

Here she's decided that my chair is hers :-)

Name:  IMG_2371.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  22.8 KB
    Really? Hmm. I miss having a cat, and don’t due to not liking my eyes feeling like they are going to swell up and explode at the same time as my whole face gets scratched off.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Really? Hmm. I miss having a cat, and don’t due to not liking my eyes feeling like they are going to swell up and explode at the same time as my whole face gets scratched off.
    That's basically what happened with our previous cat, a wonderful Main Coon. She slept on my pillow once and the next morning, my eyes were so swollen I could barely open them. Ultimately, it turned into cysts inside my eyelids that had to be removed by an eye surgeon.

I can't say that what worked for me will work for you, but basic research on the internet showed that the two breeds I mentioned are the least likely to provoke allergies (there are a couple of others but the likelihood of not provoking allergies in any individual is lower) as there are no hypoallergenic cats.

We went to one of those adoption days at a pet store where we knew the breeds we researched would be there; you get to spend a little time in an enclosure with the animal you may want to adopt and that's what I did. I waited for the rest of the day to see if I was going to have a reaction and I didn't. We then contacted the rescuers to see if they had other Russian Blues up for adoption (the ones I spent time with were already spoken for and Siberians couldn't be found anywhere near us outside of breeders) and that's how Persephone came into our lives.

Check out the personality of the breeds though, they may or may not work for you.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Keepin' the seat warm for me.

Name:  IMG_0521.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  57.4 KB
    Dean,
    “The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine
    "The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."- Antonio Meloni

Zyrtec has been a godsend for my pet allergies.

Cats make me sniffle. Dogs make me break out in hives.

Maybe that is why I favor cats lol
    "A man's character is his fate."

User Tag List