Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice on small riding mowers

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I broke three riding mowers on my five acre property before I threw in the towel and bought a Cub Cadet 50” zero turn with Kawasaki motor and welded (not stamped!) deck. That was about three years ago, I only wish I’d made that purchase sooner. It’s more durable than consumer grade riding mowers and the amount of time you get back (because of its speed) is well worth it.
    There is no doubt that commercial mowers are better all around. Even a used commercial mower will outperform a new mower from the big box stores. They also tend to be much, much heavier. Which might be an issue if you’re trying to lift it into a shed.

Quote Originally Posted by ratter75 View Post
    There is no doubt that commercial mowers are better all around. Even a used commercial mower will outperform a new mower from the big box stores. They also tend to be much, much heavier. Which might be an issue if you’re trying to lift it into a shed.
    I don’t think that mine is a commercial unit and I drive it into my shed (about 2” clearance). It’s a Cub Cadet RZT50.
    #RESIST

I've used a few riding mowers from Grasshopper, John Deere, and Ferris. They've all been bigger than what you're asking about but the Ferris is on another level when it comes to performance. Takes about 5 hours to cut the grass using a 61" zero turn with a 26hp engine. Ferris makes some smaller units but don't overlook stand on / walk behinds with the trailer you ride on.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I'm not sure what brand my zero turn mower is, but it comes with two guys and a weed trimmer. Best grass cutting investment I ever made.
    Well, I can't handle $50 a week (going rate in my neighborhood) for a crew to do my yard, especially as mowing is needed almost year round.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I broke three riding mowers on my five acre property before I threw in the towel and bought a Cub Cadet 50” zero turn with Kawasaki motor and welded (not stamped!) deck. That was about three years ago, I only wish I’d made that purchase sooner. It’s more durable than consumer grade riding mowers and the amount of time you get back (because of its speed) is well worth it.
    If I had 5 acres, and/or more storage space for a mower, I'd go bigger/better, but I'm stuck with what I have for at least the next couple of years. A bigger/better shed might be possible in a few years.

So a little research indicates all these 30" mowers (Troy-Bilt TB30, Cub Cadet CC30, Craftsman R110, etc) are all made by the same company (just not sure who), and simply branded differently, with some minor differences in features.

My wife found a Cub Cadet CC30 and a Troy-Bilt TB30 on Craigslist. Someone got to the CC30 before me, which sucks because it had the better "hydrostatic" transmission. However, I got the TB30, last night for $300 plus the bagging kit, because it wouldn't crank, but it appeared to be in almost new condition. I took a chance on fixing it, figuring I could at least get $100 to $150 back by selling the bagging kit. Tonight I got it running. Turns out, the original owner had somehow screwed up one of the safety switches, and it was easily fixed.

So, even if I only get a year or two out of this thing, I figure I'm doing ok.

Congratulations and remember to use the grease gun on the bearings, where it has fittings.

Years ago, a friend got a year old rider, sold to him for $25, because the neighbor/prior owner was po'd about it "always scalping his yard. He brought it down to the garage I was working at, and with our backs, we rigged it up on the lift, and found all it needed was a spring attached, that was just dangling.

A couple years ago, I received a call from a sibling, telling me to get a rider out of their garage, as they got a new one. It had been used for a year or two and then left (more to the story). I replaced one tire, the battery, the carburettor (found for about the cost of a rebuild kit), sharpened the blades, greased and good to go. My 70's neighbor, asked about it as he was mowing his daughters yard, which is four times ours and hilly. I sold it to him for what I had into it (we do stuff for each other).

Deals are out there, just keep your eyes open.

User Tag List