Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cranky caliber post.

Cranky caliber post.

As far as I can tell people started shooting 9mm a lot (again, after its decline in the 1980s after everyone decided it was garbage) in the early 00s when the hard core training community exploded. Why wouldn't they, it is a hell of a lot cheaper than .40, 45 or 10mm. Most of the trainers , when it started, carried .45s. Oh, and everyone said that SMG were garbage and everyone wanted SBRs. But after a while all the trainers started promoting 9mm, because it was more conducive to high round count gamer style training--especially after the expiration of the mag ban. By the way, the despised James Yeager was WAAAAY ahead of the curve. Trainers live in a James Yeager world now (Glock 19, 9mm, 1000 round mag dump class...ok but even he couldn't trick everyone into carrying those awful big dots).

There was a period , not coincidently during the hottest part of the wars, where the military was trying to dump the 9mm and go with .40 or .45. But the wars wound down and they just decided that a cheap plastic 9mm would be fine, since pistols are basically nonsense. Combine this with the Obama-era FBI moving back to 9mm because they found it was easier for the new crop of more diverse agents to qualify with. Now I even see people pushing these PCC, which are basically just back to SMGs with no fun switch. It is fun watching the wheel turn.

I'm mostly a J-frame guy, so I am just an observer here! OK I'm trolling but there is some truth to what I say!
    Last edited by Greg Bell; 07-06-2019 at 05:04 PM.

I condensed down to 9mm back when it wasn’t cool. When everyone was all over the .40 S&W, I stuck to the 9mm.

Funny because I was an early .40 fan. I bought the S&W 4006. For me it was economical, I realized I get to shoot more 9mm at a range session than a .40. That mean developing my skill set faster.

The other reason was I was sick of going to the range with 3 caliber handguns and being dictated what I shot based on the ammo I had on hand. With all 9mm, I basically shot whatever I wanted.

For years, I only had .22, .38(j frames), and 9mm. As of late, I do have all the various calibers with one or two...32 tomcat, 380 RM380, 45s, even a 40 caliber USP compact with a .357 Sig barrel. But a majority of my pistols are 9mm.

Full auto SMG are over rated. Don’t get me wrong. They are fun to shoot if you have never did it. However, the binary trigger are probably more practical.

But Greg, fads are cyclical. Pretty soon, lever guns will be back in style. I did see a lever gun with quad rail a few years ago that looked pretty cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    As far as I can tell people started shooting 9mm a lot (again, after its decline in the 1980s after everyone decided it was garbage) in the early 00s when the hard core training community exploded. Why wouldn't they, it is a hell of a lot cheaper than .40, 45 or 10mm. Most of the trainers , when it started, carried .45s. Oh, and everyone said that SMG were garbage and everyone wanted SBRs. But after a while all the trainers started promoting 9mm, because it was more conducive to high round count gamer style training--especially after the expiration of the mag ban. By the way, the despised James Yeager was WAAAAY ahead of the curve. Trainers live in a James Yeager world now (Glock 19, 9mm, 1000 round mag dump class...ok but even he couldn't trick everyone into carrying those awful big dots).

There was a period , not coincidently during the hottest part of the wars, where the military was trying to dump the 9mm and go with .40 or .45. But the wars wound down and they just decided that a cheap plastic 9mm would be fine, since pistols are basically nonsense. Combine this with the Obama-era FBI moving back to 9mm because they found it was easier for the new crop of more diverse agents to qualify with. Now I even see people pushing these PCC, which are basically just back to SMGs with no fun switch. It is fun watching the wheel turn.

I'm mostly a J-frame guy, so I am just an observer here! OK I'm trolling but there is some truth to what I say!
    You want cranky, here’s cranky:

You are trolling in that you are spouting a bunch of ignorant half truths and out of context statements that are beneath you based on your posts elsewhere and beneath this forum. Save the shit stirring for ARFCOM.
    Last edited by HCM; 07-06-2019 at 06:28 PM.

Greg Bell,

You say you are a J-frame kind of guy. May we assume it's
    .22 shorts? Or do you go up to .22 LR?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    You want cranky, here’s cranky:

You are trolling in that you are spouting a bunch of ignorant half truths and out of context statements that are beneath you based on your posts elsewhere and beneath this forum. Save the shit stirring for ARFCOM.
    His post was semicoherent. I think he has had too much of the 4th of July weekend cheer: PWI--posting while intoxicated.

Definitely some truth to the statements.

Past 18 or so gun forum years I've always favored and promoted 9mm and DA/SA - Beretta, HK, Walther pistols primarily - got a lot of crap for it.

Seems like in most cases it takes a couple big names (individuals or orgs) to change tune along with maybe a bit of boredom. That basic nature to mimic celebrity and fawn over what's new is always at play.

The rise and fall of trends is fascinating.
    Part of everybody wants to be special/different, part wants to be accepted/validated...we all make excuses for both.

Haha. More like sunstroke from cutting grass all day. I was being intentionally provocative and I’m sorry to anyone I offended.
    Last edited by Greg Bell; 07-06-2019 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Haha. More like sunstroke from cutting grass all day. I was being intentionally provocative and I’m sorry to anyone I offended.
    Thanks for the clarification. I'm glad you weren't being a natural dumb ass.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Moved to GD.

[QUOTE]Thanks for the clarification. I'm glad you weren't being a natural dumb ass. [QUOTE]

Oh I am that! I stand by the statement, I just know there is no profit in these discussions. I might as well show up at a Mosque munching pork skins and talking about the Holy Ghost.
    Last edited by Greg Bell; 07-06-2019 at 10:56 PM.

User Tag List