Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MoH awardee MSgt John Chapman’s story told through drone footage

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Thanks again for the heads up. I've burned through 1/2 of the book in one day.

I understand these men are just that, men, with their own foibles and imperfections. But holy shit, they aren't just men. Modern day demi-gods doing what so few can or will do.
    What interested me about Chapman was, relatively speaking, he seemed like a down to earth normal guy. He had a job in an exciting career field, but had a mundane go of it, again relatively speaking. Until he was ultimately tested, and passed beyond what one can comprehend. These are the kind of stories kids should learn about in school. Chapman is an example for all.

Dan Schilling and Matt Eversman wrote a book about Blackhawk Down, detailing accounts from various participants. It's a good read as well.

That is a tough video to watch. Reading about it is one thing; watching the real-time video just got me. There are no words sufficient to the task. The closest might be a portion of the Gettysburg Address.

The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us—that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion—that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain—that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom—and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.
    Master Sergeant Chapman fought most of his final battle knowing he was dying, for more than one hour, alone. I have to believe his SEAL team comrades have nightmares about what happened as the mission was to recover one fallen warrior and another was lost. In the chaos and "fog of war", I can see how it can happen but those men have to have been crushed once they were made aware of what happened. I pray his team members are able to find some peace.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    A May, 2018 Newsweek article alledged that the Naval Warfare Command tried to block his MOH award because it would be an admission that the Seals left him behind.
    https://www.newsweek.com/2018/05/18/...an-912343.html

Added the book to my Amazon wish list. I found the book Robert's Ridge by Malcolm MacPherson at a thrift store a few years ago for a couple bucks. It was a pretty good read. There's also a short documentary about it on Amazon Prime.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter
    What actual happened to Neil Roberts? Was he captured alive or killed first? Seem to be conflicting stories about this.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Thanks again for the heads up. I've burned through 1/2 of the book in one day.

I understand these men are just that, men, with their own foibles and imperfections. But holy shit, they aren't just men. Modern day demi-gods doing what so few can or will do.
    And done.

Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    I know it will be tough.
    It was.

I was honestly conflicted. I didn't want to read the aftermath part of the book, but I had to. Rough.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I started reading the book late last night. (Glad you all recommended it. I'm sure it will be a rewarding but painful read.)

Recently finished reading MoH recipient David Bellavia's "House To House".
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    That is a tough video to watch. Reading about it is one thing; watching the real-time video just got me. There are no words sufficient to the task. The closest might be a portion of the Gettysburg Address.

Master Sergeant Chapman fought most of his final battle knowing he was dying, for more than one hour, alone. I have to believe his SEAL team comrades have nightmares about what happened as the mission was to recover one fallen warrior and another was lost. In the chaos and "fog of war", I can see how it can happen but those men have to have been crushed once they were made aware of what happened. I pray his team members are able to find some peace.
    You realize he was left up there by Slabinski and DEVGRU blocked Chapman’s upgraded medal for quite a while.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    What actual happened to Neil Roberts? Was he captured alive or killed first? Seem to be conflicting stories about this.
    He was executed.

Quote Originally Posted by bravo7 View Post
    You realize he was left up there by Slabinski and DEVGRU blocked Chapman’s upgraded medal for quite a while.
    The impression I get from the book in the OP, the Roberts Ridge book, and a few other things I've read is that Slabinski's determination Chapman was dead and the Navy's actions surrounding Chapman's medal shouldn't be conflated. The Navy's actions seem more tailored towards protecting the reputation of a unit with a lot of star power.
    Despite the tragic outcome, by all accounts Slabinski's actions that night were certainly understandable. Given that this was a group of people who flew back into the same area they'd just been shot out of to recover a teammate whose chances of still being alive were known to be slim, I have a very hard time believing men of that caliber would have knowingly left an alive Chapman behind.

User Tag List