Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: MoH awardee MSgt John Chapman’s story told through drone footage

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Anything from the Intercept is suspect at best and more likely communist / ANTIFA propaganda.
    ....perhaps, however, they’ve seem to have been given the correct information.

Anything from the Intercept is suspect at best and more likely communist / ANTIFA propaganda.
    In 2016, after the Pentagon began reassessing silver stars and service crosses awarded during the war on terror, the Air Force put together forensics and drone video that they claimed showed Chapman got up after Slabinski and the SEALs retreated and continued to fight, alone and outnumbered, before succumbing to his wounds.
    We can see from drone footage that this is what happened. I don't know about the rest of the article but this part is true.

The Intercept has had ST6's number for a few years now. No idea who the Intercept's sources are but they are talking to people with inside knowledge.

Back when everyone else was racing to write books on how to train your pet hamster the SEAL way, the Intercept was pointing out the culture problem within the SEALs, particularly ST6. Now the rest of the media is catching up.

Safety stand down to address a drug problem within the teams, murder of SSG Melgar, war crimes, whole platoon removed from theatre...the problems are well documented now. But the Intercept was one of the first to report critically on the SEALs.
    Last edited by BigD; 01-05-2020 at 06:41 AM.

Before "Alone at Dawn," several books hinted at what had happened without being confrontationally clear about what had happened. When discussing these books with with someone from that world and intimately familiar with it, he also agreed with the critique. If you want to see the facts laid out clearly, read "Alone at Dawn." "Glory Hounding" might be the most flattering way to describe what happened.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

These are men, not angels. They are capable of great heroism and also infamy. We see it in all walks of life and all professions from top to bottom.

I was dismayed at what I read in the book but I wasn't there with boots on the ground and I find it difficult to judge men far tougher, with greater skill sets than my own from great distance in terrain, mileage and time.

That said, I think any political effort to deny the valor or heroism of an individual, in order to protect the pretense of right conduct (and reputation) by a group, reprehensible.
    Last edited by blues; 01-05-2020 at 11:01 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    These are men, not angels. They are capable of great heroism and also infamy. We see it in all walks of life and all professions from top to bottom.

I was dismayed at what I read in the book but I wasn't there with boots on the ground and I find it difficult to judge men far tougher, with greater skill sets than my own from great distance in terrain, mileage and time.

That said, I think any political effort to deny the valor or heroism of an individual, in order to protect the pretense of right conduct (and reputation) by a group, reprehensible.
    Agree with your comments but I'm trying to reconcile that with a combat leaders need to be worthy of the courage and lives of those they lead. I can't imagine a tougher job.

Really really hope people with greater knowledge and skills than myself at least learned and took action to minimize this from happening again. Hopefully its a case study for the military and not ignored to preserve image, career, and ego.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Shot View Post
    Agree with your comments but I'm trying to reconcile that with a combat leaders need to be worthy of the courage and lives of those they lead. I can't imagine a tougher job.

Really really hope people with greater knowledge and skills than myself at least learned and took action to minimize this from happening again. Hopefully its a case study for the military and not ignored to preserve image, career, and ego.
    Clearly mistakes were made. (Though the best of plans rarely goes as designed.) As for any decisions made to obfuscate the truth, well that speaks for itself. I make no allowance or apology for intentional wrongdoing.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

I’ve stayed out of this conversation for many reasons. But I’ll pipe in with two facts and leave.

I was at Anaconda. I was not with Slab. I was elsewhere on the mountain, but my radio worked.

Britt Slabinski is one of the greatest men I’ve ever known.

Who/How/Why upper echelon decisions were made, not in my pay grade. But for the actual actions on the ground. See above.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Site Supporter
    A movie is in the works. Let's hope the do the story justice with truth and quality of production.

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-du...-john-chapman/

Actor Jake Gyllenhaal has been confirmed for the role of Air Force Sgt. John Chapman in the upcoming film “Combat Control,” Deadline first reported.

Chapman, a combat control technician who was killed in action in Afghanistan during 2002′s deadly Operation Anaconda, was first recognized with the Air Force Cross prior to the award’s 2018 upgrade to the Medal of Honor.

MSgt Chapman’s widow Valerie is in a closed group I help moderate. The stories she tells about her late husband are both awe inspiring and heartbreaking. By all accounts he was a hell of a man.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List