Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: The Reliability Of New Revolvers

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    As long as we're talking about how to make them work right, if you're a GP100 guy, it's worth reading Iowegan's Book of Knowledge. If you google IBOK GP100, you'll probably find it.
    Are they still available? Last I heard, he pulled all of his IBOKs because people were sharing them.

Chris

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    You might need to register and make some posts to get access the the library section, but he has a lot of info there. I'm assuming the IBOK would be in there. If not, there are probably copies floating around the cloud.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

As long as we're talking about how to make them work right, if you're a GP100 guy, it's worth reading Iowegan's Book of Knowledge. If you google IBOK GP100, you'll probably find it.
    That is no joke. I have given more than one GP (and an SP) very satisfactory action smoothings using that book as a guide. And I’m no gunsmith, nor even particularly handy.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

In my experience you will more likely as not have quality issues with a new revolver. Of the last 7 new S&W revolvers I have bought 6 of them had quality issues. These date back to the mid 80s to a couple months ago. They did all go bang when you pulled the trigger but that's the plus. Over size throats, goofy bbl to cylinder gaps. Timing issues, screwed up extractor, finish defects, one with a burr in the forcing cone, spitting lead or powder residue in your face. The last I bought is a 617, spits lead or powder in your face. I'm trying to decide whether to send it back or have the forcing cone corrected out of my own pocket.
    Sadly, it isn't only S&W tho I've only bought one other mfg's revolver lately and that's a Ruger Wrangler that shoots low and left. A file will correct the low problem, hopefully the sight will bend a little without breaking. I've had problems with Kimber, Beretta, Browning, Taurus, Citadel, Henry, and Glock. They all seem to lack in the quality control department. It's a surprise to me when I buy one that works as it should. I even had to return a Browning XS Skeet for repair. Oddly 4 of 4 Colt 1911 pistols all worked right out of the box.
    Pay your money and take your chances.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Are they still available? Last I heard, he pulled all of his IBOKs because people were sharing them.

Chris
    You might need to register and make some posts to get access the the library section, but he has a lot of info there. I'm assuming the IBOK would be in there. If not, there are probably copies floating around the cloud.
    Last I heard, he had to pull them for some legal reason. He made a few tweaks and now sells if as a PDF or something. I don't think it's expensive, something like $15, and everyone says it's well worth them money.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Did a little looking:

https://rugerforum.net/ruger-double-...tml#post835902

It looks like someone dug up an old post because I have recently received several PMs and there have been a couple posts in the past few days about IBOKs. Sorry, IBOKs and Ruger Gun Guides are no longer available.

BTW, the Forum Library is still going strong and is located at the top within the "NCO CLUB". Members need 10 or more posts to access it ... in fact if you have less than 10 posts, the Library is not even visible. I have posted more than a dozen articles plus several charts and references, as have other forum members. These are all a free download and because they are not copyrighted, they can be shared with others.
    And

https://rugerforum.net/gunsmithing/4...tml#post506219

So I guess I don't know where to find an authorized version of any IBOK.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 07-08-2019 at 01:49 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Well that is unfortunate.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

there are probably copies floating around the cloud.

It's too bad the hard copies aren't available, I would prefer to buy one and support the author.
    Last edited by Radar Love; 07-09-2019 at 10:36 AM.

Function test your carry guns occasionally.

Decided on a whim to run a few rounds through the no-lock 642 that I carry occasionally. I discovered the trigger was catching on something isn’t returning to full forward.

Revolvers never fail. Uh. Huh.
    David S.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Function test your carry guns occasionally.

Decided on a whim to run a few rounds through the no-lock 642 that I carry occasionally. I discovered the trigger was catching on something isn’t returning to full forward.

Revolvers never fail. Uh. Huh.
    Glad you found out that way!

User Tag List