Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: The Reliability Of New Revolvers

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    The lock on my 638 engaged while shooting Gold Dot Short Barrel 135 grain +p loads.

It doesn't have a lock anymore.
    Did you remove the lock yourself?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by donlapalma View Post
    Any real world issues with the S&W internal locks?
    Yes. There are comments about it only being on lighter weight, high recoil guns, but there is a video on YouTube that I've posted here before of a full-lug, long-barrel 686 doing it. And many other first-person reports if you search the web enough of it happening on steel guns.

I've read that the Rangemaster range at one time (perhaps still?) keeps some keys around just to release guns that bind up on the line. Maybe @Tom Givens can be along and comment.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Yup. Easy peasy. Bought a plug off a guy on.... ummm.... the S&W forum? That's been about 15 years ago so I don't properly recollect.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    as most negligent actions take place during administrative handling and these aspects are far more simple and direct with a revolver.
    This^^^^

If, for some reason, someone must administratively handle their handgun a lot, I recommend a revolver. There are only a few instances where this is the case, but when it is, it is the best reason to have a revolver. If anyone is uncomfortable with administrative handling, the revolver reigns supreme.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Yup. Easy peasy. Bought a plug off a guy on.... ummm.... the S&W forum? That's been about 15 years ago so I don't properly recollect.
    You can get them here: https://www.originalprecision.com/lo...ete-parts.html

I dunno if that's the guy who originally made them, but it's a nice parts kit and is complete with good instructions and well made pieces.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Yes. There are comments about it only being on lighter weight, high recoil guns, but there is a video on YouTube that I've posted here before of a full-lug, long-barrel 686 doing it. And many other first-person reports if you search the web enough of it happening on steel guns.

I've read that the Rangemaster range at one time (perhaps still?) keeps some keys around just to release guns that bind up on the line. Maybe @Tom Givens can be along and comment.
    Yep. We kept a S&W key and a Taurus key in the cash drawer and had to use it frequently. Sometimes, owners would come in with the gun locked and not realize they did not have a key with them. We did, however, see six S&W's spontaneously lock themselves while firing. I believe all of them were j-frames of some flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    You can get them here: https://www.originalprecision.com/lo...ete-parts.html

I dunno if that's the guy who originally made them, but it's a nice parts kit and is complete with good instructions and well made pieces.
    This is awesome. Thank you. I've been mulling over the purchase of a 629 to have as a hunting sidearm, but have been turned off by the internal lock. The premium on used pre-lock models was a little too much for my taste. This solves my problem (not that I really needed another gun FML).

I thought I had told this story on here before, but I sure can't find it if I did.

I was practicing drawing and firing the J-frame weak hand only when the lock engaged on mine. I got less than ideal grip on the gun and decided to press on anyway. After the first trigger pull, the lock engaged.

I wondered if perhaps having a loosey goosey grip on the gun contributed to the lock engaging, and spent the rest of the range session holding the gun as loosely as possible trying to get it to repeat, to no avail.

I did deadline the gun until I could pull the lock out though.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Pulling the lock is relatively easy assuming you have strength and dexterity in your hands.

https://www.originalprecision.com/ <— They have the plug and show you how to install. I assume for liability reasons they do not have a video on how to remove the lock though.

Video I used to pull mine. There are probably others as well.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RVPYgohVCNM&t=392s
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    As long as we're talking about how to make them work right, if you're a GP100 guy, it's worth reading Iowegan's Book of Knowledge. If you google IBOK GP100, you'll probably find it.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List