Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tendonitis gun...thinking about a USP Expert

Site Supporter
    My vote is for a PX4. My compact models definitely have less felt recoil than a G19. I've never shot a full size PX4 though.

Regarding tendonitis, I had a nasty bout in my right arm/elbow a few years ago. Rest combined with the max dose of Advil was the only thing that helped. After several days of essentially not using my right arm, I experienced a lot of improvement. I ate with my left hand, brushed teeth with my left hand, and drove as little as possible. (My car is a stick shift.). Basically I did everything possible to avoid using my right arm.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Time for anti-inflammatories, physical therapy, and catching up on your carbine shooting.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Site Supporter
    M&P 2.0 5” surprised me with how little felt recoil it transmitted to my hand/wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Thank you!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    This fixed my elbow issues.

There is also a theory that gripping side to side, instead of front to back, causes elbow problems.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    The USP Expert slide speed is rather slow, IME. Enough that I actually notice it going back into battery, and I don't normally track the motion of the slide after the shot.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 07-05-2019 at 09:10 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

My tennis elbow took 7 months to heal.
    It flat out sucked hard for 6 of those months and then almost overnight the pain went away.

The two pistols that I was able to tolerate the best were a 19X and a full size M&P 9mm.
    The 19X because the grip to slide leverage ratio seems to help with recoil dampening.
    The full size M&P has always impressed me with how soft it shoots, I originally bought it when my boy was 9 and with the small backstrap it was the perfect beginner pistol.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

One thing that gave me a lot of relief was to wear a wrist brace at night to keep my from curling my wrist up at night.
    I was told that if you tend to curl your wrists up when you sleep that it keeps tension on the elbow tendon all night and exacerbates tendonitis.
    After the first night with a brace (cheap ACE) I woke up with much less pain to start the day (by the end of the day it still sucked, but at least i started out better).
    Last edited by JodyH; 07-05-2019 at 09:38 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I’m sure this won’t apply to everybody, but I found shooting Glocks to be the worst for my lateral epycondilitis.... however you spell it. I think it has to do with both the grip angle and the heavier take up for each shot. Shooting a Beretta with the double action, followed by the lighter easier single action doesn’t seem to bug me as much. 1911s, even 45s aren’t as much of an issue either. My M&P 2.0 5” feels very soft shooting and is fairly light as well. Trigger is much more comfortable.

I’ve been dealing with elbow issues since 2012 and I found that not shooting dowsn’t Really help. There are a couple really good YouTube videos that really helped me. One is by (to my understanding) Rob Leatham’s physical therapist. I’ll try to find/link them.

I know how you feel, as there was a time I couldn’t pick up a small glass of wine at full extension without significant pain. Drawing made me wince to the point other people were noticing... and I was going slow. The exercises in the YouTube videos are why I’m not having major issues today.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    A USP Expert shoots soft, especially with lower power factor ammo.

I would go all out with weights and whatever you have to do to fix the pain. My wife has been battling it for six months, but keeps it manageable with reverse curls, a thera band and finger extensions.
    To GJM's point, exercise will help. The TheraBand Flexbar is the thing to get for elbow issues. I play a ton of tennis and golf, and this thing is a must have for any elbow issue

User Tag List