Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tendonitis gun...thinking about a USP Expert

Tendonitis gun...thinking about a USP Expert

In the past few months I have developed tendonitis in my right elbow and wrist so bad that its making shooting pretty unenjoyable. My 9mm Glocks are ok to hold, but the recoil from them is still enough to hurt (I never thought I'd say that). I'm going to work on getting my arm better in the coming months, but with our Fall range training instructor duties rapidly approaching I'm looking for a unicorn...a fairly light gun with minimal recoil. For those that have played with them, would a 9mm USP Expert fit that role? If I'm going to look for one and find a Safariland holster for one in time (our Fall calendar starts 9/4) I have to start right now. @Dagga Boy @GJM Any thoughts?

I don't know if it'll help, but I had this "Comfy Gun" thread a while back

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....comfy-quot-gun

I've not shot an expert but the standard USP's are not what I would call light recoiling pistols. I find CZ P09's some of the lightest recoiling polymer pistols I've shot.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    I've not shot an expert but the standard USP's are not what I would call light recoiling pistols. I find CZ P09's some of the lightest recoiling polymer pistols I've shot.

That or a steel framed gun, like a CZ SP-01, or a alloy framed Beretta 92, A steel framed SP-01 weighs close to 40oz, so it should soak up recoil. You could look around for one of the CZ ( sku #99021,99041) compacts, often called "SP-01 compacts" these look alot loke a P01, but they have a beavertail like a SP-01, something regular P01's do not have, they're heavy, too mine weighs something like 41 oz, loaded.

I know you're looking for something light with low recoil but honestly I don't think something like that exists, I also don't know how much recoil you can handle without discomfort, a heavier gun might work for the time being.
    Last edited by ralph; 07-05-2019 at 07:55 PM.

I agree that a heavy gun soaks up recoils, but heavy is also part of my problem. Holding a hot mug of coffee at extension is painful right now.

I want a somewhat light gun that also soaks up recoil.

...and CZ's are out. I'm limited by department policy to S&W, Glock, SIG, Beretta, Springfield or H&K (except for 1911's / BHP's).
    Last edited by KevH; 07-05-2019 at 07:56 PM.

Oops, screwed that all up...sorry.
    Last edited by ralph; 07-05-2019 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    I agree that a heavy gun soaks up recoils, but heavy is also part of my problem. Holding a hot mug of coffee at extension is painful right now.

I want a somewhat light gun that also soaks up recoil.

...and CZ's are out. I'm limited by department policy to S&W, Glock, SIG, Beretta, Springfield or H&K (except for 1911's / BHP's).

Well, maybe look into a Beretta, the locking block design means the barrel dosen't tilt upwards, and the slide comes straight back, and I think that would keep muzzle flip down, which may help you out, and being alloy framed adds some weight which will also help.

Question..what's your DR say? I mean, is there any therapy you can get that'll help?
    Last edited by ralph; 07-05-2019 at 08:12 PM.

HK USPs tend to be soft recoiling guns.

A 9mm Expert might be worth a try. GJM, Dagga Boy could better tell you.

A USP Expert shoots soft, especially with lower power factor ammo.

I would go all out with weights and whatever you have to do to fix the pain. My wife has been battling it for six months, but keeps it manageable with reverse curls, a thera band and finger extensions.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List