Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What about revolvers and red dot sights?

Quote Originally Posted by Tod-13 View Post
    I've been using the regular for years on pre-key 41 mag Smiths for hunting, and got the mini when they came out a while back. Both work fine. Choosing one is a matter of footprint for the dot/scope and esthetics.
    Lot's of ammo thru the .41 mag with that mount on it?
    Mine would be on a scandium .44 RM, so looking for a sturdy option. These seem to fill that spot but I'm still researching.

Quote Originally Posted by JTMcC View Post
    Lot's of ammo thru the .41 mag with that mount on it?
    Mine would be on a scandium .44 RM, so looking for a sturdy option. These seem to fill that spot but I'm still researching.
    Well, not GJM levels of "lots". But what most would consider lots. 300-500 a year for 4-5 years I think.

Excellent, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by JTMcC View Post
    Mine would be on a scandium .44 RM, so looking for a sturdy option.
    Are the scandium guns threaded under the sights? If not, wonder what the tapping might be like...

I am watching this because I think this would be cool on top of a 6" GP100. I don't have one, but that is not gonna stop me!!!

I have thought about experimenting with my SBH. Even if the mount finds another home I am not going to care if that gun has a couple extra holes in it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Are the scandium guns threaded under the sights? If not, wonder what the tapping might be like...

I am watching this because I think this would be cool on top of a 6" GP100. I don't have one, but that is not gonna stop me!!!

I have thought about experimenting with my SBH. Even if the mount finds another home I am not going to care if that gun has a couple extra holes in it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Yes, mine at least is drilled/tapped.
    SBH seems like a suitable victim

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Usually, when I get a visit from The Good Idea Fairy in the shape of something like "Hey! I should buy one of those Weigand rails for my GP100 and put a dot on it," if I just wait a few months somebody on P-F will try it first and I get to learn vicariously through them.
    Like this?

Short version: I would have been happier with the mini rail (I originally planned to scope this hence the full length rail) and a bigger RDS. I've tried the Burris on 4-5 different pistols and rifles now and it turns out my preference is for a larger window.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Like this?

Short version: I would have been happier with the mini rail (I originally planned to scope this hence the full length rail) and a bigger RDS. I've tried the Burris on 4-5 different pistols and rifles now and it turns out my preference is for a larger window.
    That's good info. Thank you.

How do you carry it?
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I don't carry it. I'd have to OWB and a Texas summer is too stinking hot for a cover garment if you ask me.

I put the dot on for DA dry fire training and a range trip or two. Didn't like it scoped either so now it wears Williams Fire Sights.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Well, it appears that an Aimpoint Micro, at 3.7 ounces, or so, presumably without the picatinny adapter, is a bit too heavy for the Weig-A-Tinny Mini, with a maximum recommended weight limit of 3.5 ounces. I can either presumptuously hope that the small amount, over the limit, will not cause issues, or, better, use a different optic.

Edited to add: Well, ACROs not available, it seems. This is going to take longer than I thought, if I want to use a closed/sealed optic. Sigh. I had thought I might have this cobbled-together before the weekend.
    Last edited by Rex G; 08-29-2019 at 01:42 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I think that my first red-dotted “carry” gun is going to be a Micro-Aimpointed Glock, with an ALG mount, as was my plan before I caught the fever for Aimpointing the Security Six. I do not want to tempt fate by mounting an Aimpoint Micro onto a mount not rated for a Micro’s weight, even for shooting target wadcutters. I am not an engineer, and will not presume to act like one. The Ruger sixgun is going to have to wait for ACROs to become available, again.

In this context, “carry gun” means carried inside a bag. I have brief-cased, messenger-bagged, and camera-bagged big pistols plenty of times; wearing one serious weapon, and bagging the other. (I do not believe that one’s “primary” weapon should be off-body.)

In the past, the chief worry was being asked to check the bag upon entry, but with so many folks now carrying laptops and tablets, it became impractical for most establishments to be responsible for so many bags, with so many holding valuable contents.

I do have two holsters, which will accommodate a Glock with an ALG mount, with Aimpoint Micro, but it requires quite a voluminous outer garment to conceal either rig.

I do love my revolvers, which will, probably, remain my favored on-my-person guns. My Security Six will get its dot, eventually.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

User Tag List