Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What about revolvers and red dot sights?

Quote Originally Posted by Radar Love View Post
    So there's no way this would be practical or sell, but for awhile I've wanted to see a j-frame with an integrated red dot, maybe reduce the profile by moving the battery down into the backstrap and use it to power a WML on the front...I'm imagining something like a camera hotshoe under the rear sight
    Maybe a model 60 pro series? It's tapped for the adjustable rear. If it's the same 3 hole pattern as other smiths then a raptor or similar would work. That'd be a cool gun
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    They work well and have none of the issues as the semi autos.
    Reliability wise?

Quote Originally Posted by Speederlander View Post
    Reliability wise?
    Look at the posts of people having red dots mounted on high round count revolvers for decades. Not being attached to a slide that is moving or a part of a rifle with parts moving under them is helpful for optics life.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Had my 617/vortex viper out today. I'm a very novice revolver shooter but it made it fairly easy. I still am working on my wheelgun grip and presentation but i managed 9/10 @25 in 10 on an 8" plate. Also 4/10 @50 on the same 8" plate, i'd be lucky to get a hit with irons. Plus a random cylinder dump at 10 yards. My previous dot experience is limited to a week with a 19/rmr and a session with a 320rx. This thing is great, and I'm sure it will keep getting better.

10@25-1mike

10@10

10@50 - i lost focus then confidence and just started pressing bad shots but i managed 4/10. Better than i expected
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

I just ordered a Weig-A-Tinny to fit Ruger revolvers. I bought a Security Six, some time ago, with a severely abused rear sight*, and had bought a Millett rear sight, planning to use it to replace the factory rear sight, but I have an Aimpoint Micro T-1 4 MOA that is not currently busy, so it will soon be on the Security Six.

I understand that height-over-bore will be a concern. There is no such thing as a free lunch. As I see it, fixed-sight Speed Six or GP100 for close-range emergencies, and Aimpoint-sighted Security Six for social events in Wal-Mart parking lots.

*Early Security Six rear sights were made of quite soft metal, so easily damaged/worn.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I just ordered a Weig-A-Tinny to fit Ruger revolvers. I bought a Security Six, some time ago, with a severely abused rear sight*, and had bought a Millett rear sight, planning to use it to replace the factory rear sight, but I have an Aimpoint Micro T-1 4 MOA that is not currently busy, so it will soon be on the Security Six.

I understand that height-over-bore will be a concern. There is no such thing as a free lunch. As I see it, fixed-sight Speed Six or GP100 for close-range emergencies, and Aimpoint-sighted Security Six for social events in Wal-Mart parking lots.

*Early Security Six rear sights were made of quite soft metal, so easily damaged/worn.
    Did you order the regular, or the mini?
    After you put it to use, I'd like to hear how you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by JTMcC View Post
    I've been using the regular for years on pre-key 41 mag Smiths for hunting, and got the mini when they came out a while back. Both work fine. Choosing one is a matter of footprint for the dot/scope and esthetics.

Quote Originally Posted by JTMcC View Post
    I ordered the Mini.

Will do!
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Usually, when I get a visit from The Good Idea Fairy in the shape of something like "Hey! I should buy one of those Weigand rails for my GP100 and put a dot on it," if I just wait a few months somebody on P-F will try it first and I get to learn vicariously through them.

Thanks Rex!
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I had an Ultradot Matchdot on my Ruger Super Redhawk in 480 Ruger and it worked perfectly through several hundred full-power 425gr loads; it now resides on my father-in-law's Dan Wesson 357 Super Magnum he uses for IHMSA. The Ultradots are a little under half the price of the Deltapoint/RMR/Acro type dots but they work, and have worked, on pistols for decades because they're not intended to ride on a reciprocating slide.

User Tag List