Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: What about revolvers and red dot sights?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    For the gun that I put hot loads through, I run an Ultradot, which have an outstanding reputation among handgun dedicated handgun hunters.

The gun below, which is a 7.5" Redhawk .44 is zeroed for 300 grain XTPs at 100 yards, and will shoot quite small groups. The ultradot has never given me a minute of trouble.

I only shot a few groups the day I was doing some load development, but here is the best of the ones I shot:

This was if I recall a shade over 100 yards.

couple more:

The point of showing the targets is that there is no way that I could shoot an average of 1.5"-2" groups at 100+ yards with open sights.
    The red dot makes a huge difference.
    I ran an ultra dot on an AR for the first half of the 1990s with no issues.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Well, it appears that an Aimpoint Micro, at 3.7 ounces, or so, presumably without the picatinny adapter, is a bit too heavy for the Weig-A-Tinny Mini, with a maximum recommended weight limit of 3.5 ounces. I can either presumptuously hope that the small amount, over the limit, will not cause issues, or, better, use a different optic.
    What did you end up doing? I'm considering the same mount for my 625, but with a Bushnell TRS-25. The TRS-25 is also too heavy by about 3/4oz. But the mount uses the same 3 screws other mounts that support larger red dots and such. Is the limitation due to an issue with the threaded holes in the frame or the mount itself? I'm going to be running light-to-standard 45acp loads if it matters.

My other option is to buy the Raptor mount and a Holosun RDS (nearly $300 combined). I'd rather go with the TRS-25 since I already have that and would only need the base.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    Just saw that Apex has a k/l/n/x frame mount for the Acro P1. An aimpoint on k frame seems like a fun project for next year.

https://store.apextactical.com/WebDi...Details/193398

Plus, as slow as my revolver reloads are, I can just change batteries during the reload and it wouldn't make much difference in my time.
    I have a 4" N-frame Model 28 Highway Patrolman. I've also got an ACRO P-1.

I'll let you know how the new Apex mount works out on steel plates.
    Last edited by SeriousStudent; 01-22-2020 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I have a 4" N-frame Model 28 Highway Patrolman. I've also got an ACRO P-1.

I'll let you know how the new Apex mount works out on steel plates.
    Looking forward to the report!
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Well, it appears that an Aimpoint Micro, at 3.7 ounces, or so, presumably without the picatinny adapter, is a bit too heavy for the Weig-A-Tinny Mini, with a maximum recommended weight limit of 3.5 ounces. I can either presumptuously hope that the small amount, over the limit, will not cause issues, or, better, use a different optic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Im not familiar with the mount, if it has screws, can they be bumped up to the next larger size? If that is the factory rear sight elevation screw that wouldnt be feasible, but adding another screw or two may. All are pretty simple for basic gunsmithing or even home hobby gunsmithing if one is careful and/or has a drill press with vise.
    I was kind of wondering the same thing. I am thinking about this for my Super Blackhawk, and I really wouldn't care if it ends up with an extra hole in it.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    What did you end up doing? I'm considering the same mount for my 625, but with a Bushnell TRS-25. The TRS-25 is also too heavy by about 3/4oz. But the mount uses the same 3 screws other mounts that support larger red dots and such. Is the limitation due to an issue with the threaded holes in the frame or the mount itself? I'm going to be running light-to-standard 45acp loads if it matters.
    That sure would be light loads in a heavy gun.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    What did you end up doing? I'm considering the same mount for my 625, but with a Bushnell TRS-25. The TRS-25 is also too heavy by about 3/4oz. But the mount uses the same 3 screws other mounts that support larger red dots and such. Is the limitation due to an issue with the threaded holes in the frame or the mount itself?

Chris
    I deferred the revolver project. I am not an engineer, so would rather not speculate, on your second question. I shifted my attention to an ACRO P-1 on a Glock, for now.
    Last edited by Rex G; 01-23-2020 at 05:36 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    I deferred the revolver project. I am not an engineer, so would rather not speculate, on your second question. I shifted my attention to an ACRO P-1 on a Glock, for now.
    I did some poking around online and it seems other weaver mounts (such as the Weaver 401) are used to mount larger red dots and even scopes. Other bases using the same mounting method also support heavier devices. I'm going to speculate the Weigand limit is their own and not an issue with the existing threaded holes.

I found the Weaver 401 on Amazon for $7. It's not quite as clean as the Weigand, but it works.

Name:  IMG_20200126_112537803.jpg
Views: 1427
Size:  32.8 KB

Chris

Been working with a couple of different red dot setup on a S&W M69 L Frame .44 Mag. Here's a Trigicon RMR 6.5 MOA dot mounted on a EGW base. The base is very compact and mounts with only one screw leaving the front of the factory sight mortice open.

Also have a C-More STS mounted on the same gun with the Weigan mini wigatinny SP? The RMR/EGW is noticibly lower.

Have a Leupold Deltapoint Pro and a JPoint mount that I'll be trying out soon on one of those guns.

Here's a picture of an N Frame S&W with C-More STS and Alchin SP? mount and a Freedom Arms M83 with a JPoint mount and Jpoint red dot.

Paul

How about the holsters?

I wish you guys posted the holsters you are using with each Red dot mounted Revolver. I recently put a Weig-a-tinny mount & Vortex Venom red dot on my Taurus tracker 692 with 6.5" barrel. All of that was pretty easy to find and assemble. The hardest bit is finding a holster for the setup. What did you guys do, just cut a holster?

Quote Originally Posted by Wagz View Post
    I wish you guys posted the holsters you are using with each Red dot mounted Revolver. I recently put a Weig-a-tinny mount & Vortex Venom red dot on my Taurus tracker 692 with 6.5" barrel. All of that was pretty easy to find and assemble. The hardest bit is finding a holster for the setup. What did you guys do, just cut a holster?
    I'm just using a bladetech owb that I chopped a bit with a dremel to accommodate the dot - for my 617 and the raptor mount.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

User Tag List