Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternate sighting system practice

Alternate sighting system practice

I was checking the zero on a G5 26 after installing a Mayhem comp and barrel this evening, and decided it would be a good time to practice alternate sighting systems. First, I turned my dot off and shot the BUIS. Then I left the dot off and shot using just the frame of the RMR. That worked fine at 7 yards but not so good at 25 yards.

Might be worth your time to occasionally work some alternate sighting into your practice sessions and see what you can do if your dot goes down.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Since I started carrying my 507k/365SAS with no irons, I guess I ought to see how that works as a big ghost ring at bad breath distances...

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I was checking the zero on a G5 26 after installing a Mayhem comp and barrel this evening, and decided it would be a good time to practice alternate sighting systems. First, I turned my dot off and shot the BUIS. Then I left the dot off and shot using just the frame of the RMR. That worked fine at 7 yards but not so good at 25 yards.

Might be worth your time to occasionally work some alternate sighting into your practice sessions and see what you can do if your dot goes down.
    I shot a classifier past Saturday using extended mag baseplate as an alternate aiming system. Or so it seems, based on my 19% score.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

You can turn off the lockout mode on your EPS or 509T X2 and this opportunity will present itself at random when you rack the slide. I'm not bitter...

Good call on something worth including every so often.

I've taught a block on this very thing at TacCon the last two years. And a block on that is in the Gunsite 250/350 PMNO classes, plus my own ones.

Two thumbs up!

Excellent suggestion, @GJM.
    In my own practice, I’ll occasionally run an iron sighted gun, usually a G26, G19 or 43. I teach a short beginners course with a G44 and Heinie fiber optic irons.
    One of the other instructors who has used a dot exclusively over the past couple of years or so threw a miss during a demo-it happens-but he finished the week with irons for penance. If I had my druthers, I’d suggest a quarterly drill for keeping up.
    Dot off, lense obscured/blocked-all good stuff…

Using the optic window as a ghost ring, I'm only good out to like 5 yards.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Using the optic window as a ghost ring, I'm only good out to like 5 yards.
    Here is something you might consider to see if you can improve on that. Leave the dot on, close your eyes, and present the pistol multiple times to different size targets. Open your eyes and see where the dot is compared to where your index brings the pistol. I think you need equal amounts of index along with the ghost ring from the frame of the optic to make this work.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I, in fact, do make it a point to dedicate a few minutes of each practice session to using the BUIS on any pistol with optics that is carried for self defense. I'm pretty confident with them out to about 20 yards. Unfortunately, I'm guilty of not practicing as frequently as I should. Using my ELMS Laser Pro Dry Fire System at 15-16 yards inside my RV garage makes that occasional check/confirmation process easier.

You can work these techniques back to 15 yards, not everyone but you can.

User Tag List