Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Underwood .45 ACP and .45 Super Hard Cast in Clear Ballistics Gel

Underwood .45 ACP and .45 Super Hard Cast in Clear Ballistics Gel

Test Gun: Colt 1911.
    Barrel length: 5 inches.
    Ammunition: Underwood .45 ACP +P and .45 Super 255gr Hard Cast.
    Test media: 10% Clear Ballistics Gel.
    Distance: 10 feet.
    Chronograph: Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph G2.
    Five shot velocity average: 891, 1078fps
    Gel Temperature 70 degrees.

The second installment of the Underwood hard cast woods load we take a look at the .45 ACP+P and the .45 Super. Both of these loads use the same 255gr hard cast Hi-Tek coated bullet.

I got a five shot average velocity of 891fps with a high of 902fps and low 888fps. Underwood lists their velocity of 925fps for this load.

Ten yards offhand five shots .45 ACP +P

With the .45 Super load, I got an average velocity of 1078fps with a high of 1082fps and a low of 1073fps. The advertised velocity from Underwood for this load is 1075fps.

Ten yards offhand five shots .45 Super

I used the same pistol with both of these loads even though the pistol is not set up for the Super round. I did have one failure to feed.

The .45 ACP didn't show any sign of excessive pressure even though it's listed as +P. The .45 Super, on the other hand, flatted primers and primer flow into the firing pin hole.

Starting with the +P loading the first round had a velocity of 873fps and penetrated to 53.5 inches. The recovered weight was 247.8 grains. The second round hit the gel block at a velocity of 895fps and penetrated to 50 inches. It's recovered weight was 247.6 grains.

The first round through the sheet metal had a velocity of 906fps and penetrated to 21.25 inches. It's recovered weight was 247.6 grains. Round two had a velocity of 920fps and penetrated to 18.75 inches. The recovered weight of the second round was 249.3 grains.

With the Super load, the first round in the bare gel had a velocity of 1072fps and passed completely through all four gel blocks and was not recovered. I really didn't expect that much penetration so I didn't put a piece of body armor behind it. Learning from the first shot, I put the armor behind the last block and shot another round into the bare gel. It also passed through but bounced off the body armor and was found on the floor next to me. It's velocity was 1075fps and the recovered weight was 251.3 grains.

Through the angled sheet metal the first round had a velocity of 1059fps and penetrated to 28.5 inches. The recovered weight was 242.8 grains. The second round passed through the sheet metal at a velocity of 1061fps and exited the side of the block at the 24 inches mark.

These loads exceeded my expectations by quite a bit. The .45 Super round is only the third round to pass completely through all 64 inches of gel. Sharing that title with the Underwood 147gr hard cast and the Double Tap 200gr FMJ 10mm.

The +P version was also the winner in the .45 ACP department with a max penetration of 53.5 inches, about 11 more inches then the next best, the Cutting Edge solid at just a little over 42 inches.
    Last edited by 5pins; 06-24-2019 at 05:02 PM.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

That's pretty crazy.

So if I remember all your testing, a traditional hardcast bullet has shown deeper penetration than the "x-treme" version with the flutes is that right?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Thanks so much! That is amazing. And let me add BEAR to this thread, BIG BEARS. @GJM
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    That's pretty crazy.

So if I remember all your testing, a traditional hardcast bullet has shown deeper penetration than the "x-treme" version with the flutes is that right?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Yes., in bare gel. With the sheet metal the difference isn't as large.
    Last edited by 5pins; 06-25-2019 at 07:36 AM.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Yes., in bare gel. With the sheet metal the difference isn't as large.
    Now that you have tested 9, 40, 45 with hard cast and penetrator loads, I am very interested in your thoughts on the field pistol load. I prioritize reliability first, then bullet performance and shootability, but you and others may feel differently, and that could influence your choices.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

That 45 ACP load has about 20% more recoil impulse than a normal SAAMI load (230 gr @ 850 fps). That's inevitably translates into faster rearward slide speed, harder impact on the frame, and coupled with more powerful recoil springs a faster cycle time. This is probably out of the ideal envelope for reliable and durable functioning.

They don't call them "recoil operated" for nothing...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Now that you have tested 9, 40, 45 with hard cast and penetrator loads, I am very interested in your thoughts on the field pistol load. I prioritize reliability first, then bullet performance and shootability, but you and others may feel differently, and that could influence your choices.
    I think your priority list is correct, GJM. If the pistol won't function reliably, all else is moot.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Site Supporter
    If you're going to put in any regular practice running a 45 with ammo that hot, it is advisable to switch to a heavy mainspring and a much heavier recoil spring. I'd just off the wall suggest a 23lb mainspring or higher and at least a 20 or 22lb recoil spring.

Also, I'd be running a 7 round mag or get fresh springs in that one. The reason you got that high angled jam was because the slide was running too fast for the magazine spring to present the round.

And I can't believe I'm saying this, bit if you can get a shock buffer to work, I'd also suggest it. That way you avoid beating the gun to pieces.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Obviously, reliability is most important above all. So far the only problem I have had is with the .45 Super and 10mm Hard Cast. With the Super, it was a classic case of the slide velocity moving to fast for the magazine. If this pistol was properly set up for shooting the super it may not have happened. The bullet profile of the Underwood bullet isn't much different than other common .45 ACP bullets.

On the other hand, the bullet profile on the 10mm hard cast is the main culprit. The wide flat nose has a tendency to hit the slide stop locking the slide to the rear.

If I were to carry my 1911 for the woods, at this point I would use the Underwood hard cast +P loading, after running a few boxes through it. This is assuming I didn't handload for it. Even if the super was reliable I would pick it because it just shot better, not much different than a hot 230 ball round.

I would also pick the Underwood Hard Cast in 9mm and .40. Assuming they continue to function properly.

User Tag List