Thread: RFI: Shotgun gunsmiths

RFI: Shotgun gunsmiths

I just picked up an older 870 Wingmaster. I haven’t dated it yet, but it’s pre-flexitab. That I can handle on my own, what I’m wondering about is what to do with the barrel.

It’s a 26 or 28 inch vent rib fixed modified choke. Originally I was thinking about sending it to Vang Comp, having it cut down and the Vang Comp installed. But it looks like they can’t do that with the older barrels.

I’d like to get it cut down to around 18.5” or 19”, whatever works with the vent rib and have an XS tritium bead installed on the vent rib. Will the mod barrel when cut down basically be a cylinder bore? Is this a bad idea for any reason?

Does anyone have a shop or individual they recommend for this type of thing? Thanks everyone.
    @TCinVA @Dagga Boy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Vang Comp and/or Robar. Vang is willing to do pretty much any crazy custom work you can imagine on a shotgun.

Even though they may not be able to do the full Vang treatment to the bore, they can still do the other work you want.

Another possibility to consider: You could send the receiver to them with a barrel they can work on. Right now Remington is selling a number of shotgun barrels at a 25% discount.

...just something to think about.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 07-04-2019 at 10:41 AM.
    3/15/2016

I went through the same thing in ‘98 with Vang. I kept the barrel and he supplied a slug barrel that he then backbored. That gun was awesome. I sold it to a forum member in like ‘02. Dumb.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    I just picked up an older 870 Wingmaster. I haven’t dated it yet, but it’s pre-flexitab. That I can handle on my own, what I’m wondering about is what to do with the barrel.

It’s a 26 or 28 inch vent rib fixed modified choke. Originally I was thinking about sending it to Vang Comp, having it cut down and the Vang Comp installed. But it looks like they can’t do that with the older barrels.

I’d like to get it cut down to around 18.5” or 19”, whatever works with the vent rib and have an XS tritium bead installed on the vent rib. Will the mod barrel when cut down basically be a cylinder bore? Is this a bad idea for any reason?

Does anyone have a shop or individual they recommend for this type of thing? Thanks everyone.
    @TCinVA @Dagga Boy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The cut down barrel will be a straight cylinder tube which will be identical to any other security barrel marked cyl. The great thing is that this barrel will now produce ideal patterns with Federal Flite Control Buckshot. Also, it is now well suited for slug shooting. Cutting the barrel and installing the desired sight is an easy task for any general gunsmith. Everybody loves flex tabs; however, if your shotgun runs properly with your selected ammo, and if your weapon will be a house gun, I would hesitate to spend the extra coin. But if you prefer the tabs and wish to have the barrel cut, I urge you to run a few boxes through it first to verify that all is well. Further, let me point out that you can buy a Mossberg brand 18 inch barrel made for 870's. Nothing wrong with them. Too 18 inch 870 barrels made by Rem are available and usually are reasonably priced. Finally, one other tidbit is that many prefer older vent rib barrels like yours because they are lighter than the ones made for choke tubes. Some will pay extra for them. I ramble to say this: be careful and avoid spending a lot of money having certain shops chop your barrel. Buy a used 18 inch barre. Sell your older vent rib barrel on ebay or on a shotgun forum and then have a much smaller sum in your project.

I drink 870 Kool Aid. However, this crowd is shrinking. To all I say don't blow money on an 870 project that you can't recover should you sell the weapon.

Cutting a shotgun barrel is not a daunting task. The wild card in this project is the how well attached are the center pedestals on the rib, a lot of time the front and back of the rib are good and the rest is along for the ride. If you cut the rib in the middle there's a risk that it could peel off eventually.

Mike Orlen would be another option.

A local smith should be able to do this for about 30 bucks.

You can DIY this with a hacksaw, files, and a hose clamp. Setting a new bead requires a little more finesse.
    Last edited by txdpd; 07-04-2019 at 02:41 PM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

A shiny wood, 18” vent rib 870 Wingmaster is a thing of beauty. I’ve got a 28” in the safe that I’ve been meaning to cut down. Same as you, it’s the 2 3/4” only light barrel that can’t be Vang Comped. I’ve got a spare 18” rifle sighted barrel, but it just doesn’t look right with the glossy wood and receiver.

My LGS has another in the rack and I’d love another one, but wants $395 for it. I think I paid half that for the one I have. I never updated to Flex Tab but probably would if I went the cut down route. As a range toy it has never bothered me.

As noted, any competent local gunsmith should be able to do this for less than round trip shipping to one of the top tier firms.

User Tag List