Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: JJ Racaza joins Team Beretta

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    I agree that it won't fair as well as the 1911. The 1911 was made under contract by several different companies. Nothing stops any company from making a 1911 tomorrow.

Only one company can make the M9. And so any innivation built upon it relies on Beretta. And to an extent on their quality level.

-Cory
    for a long time, all custom 1911s were built on Colts. If you read Brian Enos' book, he still calls them the Colt Government Model.

So it's not that different tbh.

From JJs Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Did Tanfoglio and Armscor get outbid?

Tanfo have been doing a spectacular job of trashing their competion presence all on their own lately
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Quote Originally Posted by perlslacker View Post
    for a long time, all custom 1911s were built on Colts. If you read Brian Enos' book, he still calls them the Colt Government Model.

So it's not that different tbh.
    It really is that different. Multiple companies made the 1911 for the military. A single company made 92s for the military. One. The point I'm trying to get across is that the M9 is reliant upon a single company (Beretta) to reach a similar progression as the 1911.

Name 4 reputable companies making a 1911 pattern pistol. Wilson Combat, Les Baer, Ed Brown, Dan Wesson. That's just the semi-custom market. You could name 4 high end gun smiths, and 4 production grade companies on top of that without much effort.
    Name 4 reputable companies making a 92.

Not the same is it? And while there might be a few companies making 92 series knock offs, everyone recognizes them for what they are: knockoffs. They don't have the support, after market, interchangeability, reliability, quality, track record... They're just not equals to the Beretta 92 in any way. Most of them are a joke. Taurus is the closest to a real 92, but it lacks the serious testing of Beretta.

Because the M9 wasn't made by several different companies, no company other than Beretta has any clout or lineage with the 92 series. And even if there were others who were willing to give the 92 a go without having made one in the past, my bet is Beretta would have them in court in very short order. There isn't a plethora of companies who have the ability to produce 92s and actually market them in the US, like the 1911. The 92 might become a similar aficionado gun, but it's never going to be like the 1911.

-Cory

Could you point out any innovations by companies (other than Colt) that made 1911s for the military? I'm not sure that analogy holds.

And at what point did people start making 1911s that weren't modifications to Colt guns? I don't have a good historical perspective (I'm not old enough), but it was at least the 1980s, right?

There are differences between the situations of the 1911 and M9, not the least of which is that there never was a glut of surplus M9s for people to modify, but I don't think you're accurately identifying what they are.
    Last edited by perlslacker; 07-05-2019 at 06:18 PM.

"When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by perlslacker View Post
    Could you point out any innovations by companies (other than Colt) that made 1911s for the military? I'm not sure that analogy holds.

And at what point did people start making 1911s that weren't modifications to Colt guns? I don't have a good historical perspective (I'm not old enough), but it was at least the 1980s, right?

There are differences between the situations of the 1911 and M9, not the least of which is that there never was a glut of surplus M9s for people to modify, but I don't think you're accurately identifying what they are.
    There are no other companies making 92s. Period. Unless I'm wrong, no other compabies can begin making 92s.

My point is that the 92 will always be reliant on Beretta, the 1911 is no longer reliant on Colt.

Im seriously interested in your point of view, but we should start another thread I think. I like thinking about the 92s future post M9, and it's compariaon to the 1911 in that regard. I don't want to derail this too much more though.

-Cory

JJ Racaza joins Team Beretta

There are no other companies making 92s. Period. Unless I'm wrong, no other compabies can begin making 92s.

My point is that the 92 will always be reliant on Beretta, the 1911 is no longer reliant on Colt.

Im seriously interested in your point of view, but we should start another thread I think. I like thinking about the 92s future post M9, and it's compariaon to the 1911 in that regard. I don't want to derail this too much more though.

-Cory
    The Turks make several 92 clones. And, they could probably flood the market if they wanted. They seem to choose not to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sigfan26; 07-05-2019 at 08:23 PM.

-Cory
    My point is that all the non-Colt 1911s (that weren't just contract-manufactured copies) hit the market after so long that you can't really compare the two yet.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    He almost looks human without an optic and with what I assume is major power factor ammo.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

User Tag List