Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: CZ P07 - Beretta PX4 Compact Comparison?

@s0nspark, PM inbound.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    The barrels are nitrided, and the chamber is polished. Still corrosion resistant.
    Did not realize that, thanks for the heads up. Could have sworn I saw the info I posted on here before. Last one I looked at the chamber sure looked to be in the white, but if it was polished after intruding that makes sense too

I was running a P07 as my EDC for a couple of years, and then switched about a year and a half ago to the PX4.

Comparing the stock guns - PX4 trigger out of the box is far better than the CZ, and smooths out even more with some dry fire. I have a full size PX4 that has had nothing done to it (outside of installing one of the original fugly levers) and I use it as my training gun. I dry fire a lot and when a couple of shooting buddies shot it, the both said “ Ernest does a nice trigger” and I told them it’s not a Langdon. That’s how good it gets with just shooting it. The CZ had a manageable trigger but no one is going to crow about it. It does smooth out a bit with dry fire, but not to the Beretta level.

The Beretta factory sights are better for me. I find the CZ front sight too wide and there is little light on the sides when aligned with the rear.

The PX4 is definitely slippery and to a much more noticeable extent than most guns. Talons or stippling is a must. The Stock P07 for me was great with gripping. I felt I had a lot of solid control and could get more meat on the gun.

The CZ is phenomenally accurate. It is stunning how true that is. The Beretta is accurate, but not more so than the standard duty gun. Plus with the slightly longer barrel and sight radius, longer shots are a tad easier with the CZ, but that is offset somewhat with the factory crappy front sight.

Both guns are essentially the same footprint size wise, but the PX4 conceals wayyyyy better. I don’t now why, but I assume it’s the “roundness” of the gun. It conceals more like a subcompact while the CZ conceals like a G19. And both guns were carried in a Keepers holster under the same clothing so it was a direct comparison.

Going to a fixed up gun - it is slightly cheaper to get a CZ and have Cajun do their pro package and install a thinner front sight (I went fiber optic) than get a full Langdon PX4CC. But the Langdon is a definite upgrade over even the Cajunized CZ and is a better shooter, but it will end up costing you about $150 more for that performance.

That is my take on my experience with both.
    Last edited by Cecil Burch; 07-04-2019 at 01:56 PM.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

I have one factory PX4 CC, and one that I turned into a CC myself (minus the grey Cerakote). Both are extremely accurate when shooting fast out to 15 yards, and have little recoil. Changing the hammer spring to a WC 12# spring works miracles by itself, even with the plain PX4 Compact. I’ve shot CZ’s, but not much...

I've only handled the P07, as I was going to buy one out of the used cabinet at my LGS and had them put it back for me, when a kid (to me), came in that called to see if they had one, that day. His job had given him a list of weapons that he could carry, unmodified, and that was a model he had fired/liked of some relatives.
    I let it go to him, as to me it was going to be a range toy, to compare with my PX4's.
    I really need to get one to the range for a fair comparison

I am not sure how I would like or dislike the levers, compared to the PX4, but my comparison of them and the gun is against the P01 and PCR, which I own. My thoughts are the levers were too slick, I would have to change my grip to rack the slide (as I do with my CZ's), and one thing I liked over the PX4 is the tail, where the PX4, I had to switch to the bobbed hammers, to avoid hammer bite.

CZ P07 - Beretta PX4 Compact Comparison?

I’ve shot PX4s, but don’t own one. Similarly, I’ve shot 92s of various types, including Wilson and LTT. I’m sure it’s because I’m so used to CZs and compete with Shadow2s, but the Berettas feel clunky and unergonomic in my hands. The P-07 shoots like a mini, lightweight S2. It just feels right to me, and is as close to the ideal CCW as I’ve found.

And the trigger in my ProGrade gun is really nice. A tiny amount of grease in the right places makes a big difference in these guns.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 07-04-2019 at 04:36 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I’ve shot PX4s, but don’t own one. Similarly, I’ve shot 92s of various types, including Wilson and LTT. I’m sure it’s because I’m so used to CZs and compete with Shadow2s, but the Berettas feel clunky and unergonomic in my hands. The P-07 shoots like a mini, lightweight S2. It just feels right to me, and is as close to the ideal CCW as I’ve found.

And the trigger in my ProGrade gun is really nice. A tiny amount of grease in the right places makes a big difference in these guns.
    Interesting. I guess I’m the opposite, with lots of Beretta experience and less CZ time. I tried the Shadow 2 and never could really warm up to it, mostly because I thought it was just too heavy, even for a gaming/range gun. I sold it and ran right back to the 92/PX4 stuff. I’ve been itching to give a different (lighter) CZ a try just to give the brand another fair chance. I probably should have bought the last used P07 I saw at my LGS. Had I known them what you posted earlier about the barrels, I probably would have.

Let’s not revisit the “drop to half cock” issue in this thread, but I do want to say that I do not believe this is a timing issue, or that anything is wrong with the design. There is no “fix”, and no parts I have tried change the function. If you interrupt the trigger pull at the exact moment the DA sear breaks, the sear will return and catch the hammer at half cock, as a drop safety.
    I have actually been able to get a similar thing to occur on a B92. With a Cent Tac, WC action tune with standard trigger bar, I was able to interrupt the trigger press around the hammer release and I saw it catch on the half cock position. This has never occurred on the range. Only when dry firing and purposely testing to see if I could get it to do this. I assumed most TDA pistols could exhibit some mechanical weirdness if you try to rapidly disengage the trigger press around the hammer release.

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    I was running a P07 as my EDC for a couple of years, and then switched about a year and a half ago to the PX4.

Comparing the stock guns - PX4 trigger out of the box is far better than the CZ, and smooths out even more with some dry fire. I have a full size PX4 that has had nothing done to it (outside of installing one of the original fugly levers) and I use it as my training gun. I dry fire a lot and when a couple of shooting buddies shot it, the both said “ Ernest does a nice trigger” and I told them it’s not a Langdon. That’s how good it gets with just shooting it. The CZ had a manageable trigger but no one is going to crow about it. It does smooth out a bit with dry fire, but not to the Beretta level.

The Beretta factory sights are better for me. I find the CZ front sight too wide and there is little light on the sides when aligned with the rear.

The PX4 is definitely slippery and to a much more noticeable extent than most guns. Talons or stippling is a must. The Stock P07 for me was great with gripping. I felt I had a lot of solid control and could get more meat on the gun.

The CZ is phenomenally accurate. It is stunning how true that is. The Beretta is accurate, but not more so than the standard duty gun. Plus with the slightly longer barrel and sight radius, longer shots are a tad easier with the CZ, but that is offset somewhat with the factory crappy front sight.

Both guns are essentially the same footprint size wise, but the PX4 conceals wayyyyy better. I don’t now why, but I assume it’s the “roundness” of the gun. It conceals more like a subcompact while the CZ conceals like a G19. And both guns were carried in a Keepers holster under the same clothing so it was a direct comparison.

Going to a fixed up gun - it is slightly cheaper to get a CZ and have Cajun do their pro package and install a thinner front sight (I went fiber optic) than get a full Langdon PX4CC. But the Langdon is a definite upgrade over even the Cajunized CZ and is a better shooter, but it will end up costing you about $150 more for that performance.

That is my take on my experience with both.
    Cecil did you carry a P2000 at one time? Could you compare it to the PX4 and P07 if you did?
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Thanks for all the replies. Generally, the only things I change on handguns are sights or with polymer frames, I'll add some type of stick on grips. Triggers I leave as is.

Seems like the PX4 trigger is pretty much considered better than the CZ's out of the box but the importance of that is usually subjective from person to person, so unless it's unusable, it might not be the deciding factor for me. Reliability, shooting characteristics, accuracy and placement of controls are top priorities for me followed by concealment. I like that the CZ comes with controls that are already lower in profile while still being functional. The basic PX4, as has been mentioned, does not and that's a consideration. Another is barrel length. For it's size, the barrel on the PX4 seems quite short at 3.2" vs the CZ at 3.75 while both are close in height.

User Tag List