Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RFI: Carbine LVPO

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Basically just throwing it on the AR, not a duty gun or anything, doubtful I'll have it around for a HD gun either.

Need something solid that I don't need to worry about getting knocked around a bit in a class but I don't need to have something I can throw off a bridge, pound nails and then depend my life on it. If I end up going to a lot of classes and getting skilled up I might go for something beefier down the road.
    If it’s to be a starter LPV then I’d say just find one with a reticle you like. The Vortex Strike Eagle I have and the PA 1-6 were clearly made in the same factory. And neither are daytime bright but the reticle allows for daytime use without illumination.

steiner p4xi is an awesome optic for the money

If your budget is $1k, I'd look for a good used Vortex Razor 1-6. It won't be the newer, lighter model but will be a top notch, quality optic that will serve you well without issue.

Quote Originally Posted by CS Tactical View Post
    I've heard good things of that Steiner but we haven't carried them for years, IMO at $1k you're near the price of a Razor Gen II 1-6 which is one of the best LPVO's IMO
    This.

I have the Steiner on one of my rifles and it is a good optic, but it is outclassed by the Razor. Spend a little extra and get the Gen II E to save some weight and you'll be even happier. The Gen II E gets you like 90% of the way to the Kahles K16i which is my favorite option, but at 65% of the price.

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    This.

I have the Steiner on one of my rifles and it is a good optic, but it is outclassed by the Razor. Spend a little extra and get the Gen II E to save some weight and you'll be even happier. The Gen II E gets you like 90% of the way to the Kahles K16i which is my favorite option, but at 65% of the price.

Agreed...
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I haven't used this particular variation but I like the feature set. The VX-R Patrol is a pretty decent scope for the money but I don't like the uncapped turrets. I don't think those belong on a scope that's really not meant to be used beyond 300 or 400 yards.

Interesting to see the manual brightness knob rather than the standard push button adjustment built into the battery cap. I knew capped turrets was an option (come standard on the regular VX-R I believe) but had no idea a knob was possible for brightness adjustment.

Leupold needs to make a version of this a standard catalog item. Ditch the bright gold ring around the objective end and it would be about perfect.

https://thunderranchinc.com/product/...n-rifle-optic/

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Leupold should make it standard item to reduce the price. $1,000 for a $500 scope because it has thunder ranch markings ? No thanks.

The VX-R is a decent scope but for the same money ($500 ish) the Steiner Px4i is the way to go for a 1-4x.
    Last edited by HCM; 09-12-2019 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Leupold should make it standard item to reduce the price. $1,000 for a $500 scope because it has thunder ranch markings ? No thanks.

The VX-R is a decent scope but for the same money ($500 ish) the Steiner Px4i is the way to go for a 1-4x.
    Leupold supposedly has a revamp of the VX-R in the works. I think the next gen will be 1.5-5. Don't know what else is in the works.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Leupold supposedly has a revamp of the VX-R in the works. I think the next gen will be 1.5-5. Don't know what else is in the works.

The 1.25x was very useable.

I had a VX6 1-6 firedot duplex and it seemed like the 1x was actually negative magnification like .75x.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    FWIW, I am pretty happy with my Vortex Viper PST Gen II 1-6, if you want to stay far below the $1k price limit. I paid just under $500 new for mine.

If you don't mind spending a little more though yeah I'd get the razor.

Site Supporter
    I have a Vortex Viper PST Gen 1 1-4 that is serving me well. If any are still available new, they should be a great price point.

User Tag List