Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glocks Rust...G19.4 US Made

Glocks Rust...G19.4 US Made

So this presented itself today before a cleaning. Since the last cleaning three months ago it only saw 5 rounds of TulAmmo and 50-ish S&B 115 FMJ. Total round count is right at 1000, this is a 2016 vintage pistol.

I believe there may have been a flaw in the (enter name of nitrocarburization method used) process.

And after a serious scrubbing session:

That’s some nice fine pitting. There are two other small areas in the bore that I can’t get a good look at so they may be fouling but given the scrubbing the bore got I am leaning to rust there as well.

After over 20 years of owning and shooting Glocks, this is the first rust issue I have encountered (personally).

I will call Glock next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife." - Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Brown v. United States, 256 U.S. 335 (1921)

Wondering if the only affected area is at the muzzle whether some outside source of contamination could have entered the muzzle and caused the problem??

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Copper and carbon are both very aggressive toward iron in a galvanic cell. I don't know how perfectly the Tenifer (or whatever version they call it when done here) will resist that under what conditions. It's possible humidity could have led to that. Temperature changes can lead to condensation in spring.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I had something similar happen to a Glock 19 Gen4 that a humidifier pad had fallen and all the stuff got inside the barrel like that. I cleaned it shot it and still carry the gun.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by flyrodr View Post
    Wondering if the only affected area is at the muzzle whether some outside source of contamination could have entered the muzzle and caused the problem??

flyrodr, you beat me to it. Dangerous thread drift ahead.....love your Avatar - if only it was that easy!

I rusted a Gen 2 23 in the cocking serrations. I also rusted one of my 43s around the rollmark on the slide.

They're metal. They'll rust.

Quote Originally Posted by flyrodr View Post
    While remotely possible, it is highly unlikely.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Tulla and other Russian ammo uses a bi-metal (soft steel and a copper wash) jacket on much of their ammo. The rust may very well be due to the steel from the ammunition jacket and not actually on the barrel material itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Tulla and other Russian ammo uses a bi-metal (soft steel and a copper wash) jacket on much of their ammo. The rust may very well be due to the steel from the ammunition jacket and not actually on the barrel material itself.
    Excellent point
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Excellent point
    Thanks but on closer inspection of his photos (I was on my phone ) it does look like it’s gotten into the barrel material. 😕

User Tag List