Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 36

Thread: RFI - Multidayhigh round count classes - hand protection

  1. #21
    Site Supporter Rapid Butterfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    the land of coffee, books, and rain
    Like most women shooters, tough as we may be, I wonít be soaking my hands in brine any time soon. As i mentioned, I dry fire and shoot a lot. Iíll try to get some tapes of different kinds and tape over the already formed callous on my thumb, see what sticks and what feels the most natural.
    audite semper, semper discendum
    You can't make a racehorse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig.

  2. #22
    CLIMATE REFUGEE LittleLebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    VA
    Honestly, I think youíre good. Bring athletic and painterís tape, try both as needed. Your attitude is good, this isnít your first rodeo, youíve been dryfiring, and shooting for a while; youíre fine. I donít know how the weather is where the class is, but donít underestimate how much shorts can help with temperature regulation. Also, simple running shoes may not be tactical, but they feel great. I assume youíve already got a good belt and youíre good on mag carriers (for a class like this, youíll probably want to be carrying more mags than you normally do).

    If you have money lying around, lots of spare loaded mags rock. Again, not sure on the venue, but a folding chair helps a lot.

    I hope that you write a class review here.

  3. #23
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Henderson, NV
    I have shot the 1500 round and 2500 round TPC classes. If you use gloves, I have found golf gloves and Mechanix Wear 0.5 mm gloves work well. My favorite is the Mechanix Wear.

    I also occasionally use flexible band-aids. Don't use the cheaper brands, you get what you pay for. Besides the straight, get the other shapes too.

    But my go-to solution now is New Skin. I put it on my under-the-trigger-guard finger, the web knuckle and the palm. Those are the spots that rub for me. When you use a forward cant and grip properly those are the pressure points. I put on several layers, drying in between.

    Oh, and take plenty of notes.
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

  4. #24
    Bill Rogers has some good thin shooting gloves.

    The brine was slightly tongue & cheek.

  5. #25
    Site Supporter Rapid Butterfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    the land of coffee, books, and rain
    Iím a big fan of new skin. Carry it in my range stuff. I hadnít thought of putting it on in advance. Thatís a good idea, thank you.

    Iím a nerd and have always found note taking aids retention of whatever I study.

    I have 7 match quality mags and a belt that holds 5, so, should be ok there. My gear is pretty standard uspsa stuff. If I need to switch to my idpa weapon and gear, 7 mags for that and can carry 4 at a pinch.

    I will try to do an AAR after the class.


    Quote Originally Posted by Bart Carter View Post
    I have shot the 1500 round and 2500 round TPC classes. If you use gloves, I have found golf gloves and Mechanix Wear 0.5 mm gloves work well. My favorite is the Mechanix Wear.

    I also occasionally use flexible band-aids. Don't use the cheaper brands, you get what you pay for. Besides the straight, get the other shapes too.

    But my go-to solution now is New Skin. I put it on my under-the-trigger-guard finger, the web knuckle and the palm. Those are the spots that rub for me. When you use a forward cant and grip properly those are the pressure points. I put on several layers, drying in between.

    Oh, and take plenty of notes.
    audite semper, semper discendum
    You can't make a racehorse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig.

  6. #26
    Site Supporter Rapid Butterfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    the land of coffee, books, and rain
    I changed my schedule around due to likely adopting a dog this weekend and wanting to be home for that, so will be doing the 2500 round class later this year. My 92 callous is in full effect by now and I think Iím gonna be ok with that and new skin if needed, but the calloused area is the only place my 92s seem to abrade me at all.
    Last edited by Rapid Butterfly; 07-24-2019 at 07:23 PM.
    audite semper, semper discendum
    You can't make a racehorse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Butterfly View Post
    I changed my schedule around due to likely adopting a dog this weekend
    Pics of the dog... [emoji41]



    Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

  8. #28
    Site Supporter Rapid Butterfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    the land of coffee, books, and rain
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Pics of the dog... [emoji41]



    Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Other thread on puppy training books is where Iíll likely post any pix of her royal mischievousness. Itís not certain we will get her as yet but we will know soon.
    audite semper, semper discendum
    You can't make a racehorse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig.

  9. #29
    CLIMATE REFUGEE LittleLebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    VA
    What breed?

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Butterfly View Post
    Other thread on puppy training books is where Iíll likely post any pix of her royal mischievousness. Itís not certain we will get her as yet but we will know soon.
    I saw after I posted, will stay tuned...

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •