Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RFI - Multidayhigh round count classes - hand protection

Moleskin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Going off on a similar tangent, bring every kittening mag you have for that gun, and load them the night before. I load mags that hold 15 or more rounds with 15 rounds because I find it easier to just dump 15 rounds from an ammo box into my hand rather than picking one or two more out to top them off, plus not having them full makes them easier to insert and lock in place. Having the mags loaded when you get there puts you ahead of the power curve and gives you that extra minute to slam some water/Gatorade/whatever during breaks.

[QUOTE=runcible;899640]For high round-count classes, I reccommend the following practices:

Known wear-points on the digits should be taped in advance of the skin being significantly damaged or a blister being formed.[QUOTE=runcible;899640]

Some good advice here. I don't usually have a problem with my thumb, but the non-trigger fingers of my dominant hand are going to get eaten up at the first joint in a high round count class. I think hand size and how it interacts with the gun is a major factor in this, but whatever the issue I know it is going to happen and try to prevent it--I'll wrap them before there is an issue. For those fingers, I've had pretty good results from using Band-aid flexible fabric bandages on that joint (with the pads facing the gun, obviously). If you go this route, don't cheap out on the brand or type you use--it makes a difference. It would be harder to get one to adhere and stay put in the web of the thumb, where I occasionally do have issues.

https://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Fabr...ateway&sr=8-6&

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Butterfly View Post
    I have a maglula and use it religiously.

Sorry for the drift.

To your point: tape it with J&J medical tape if it hurts a little. Replace the tape if the tape starts to move. Gloves mess with me or I’d recommend them. A mid-class switch to a different gun is preferable to 1000 reps with a gimpy grip.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post

{Clipped}

To your point: tape it with J&J medical tape if it hurts a little. Replace the tape if the tape starts to move. Gloves mess with me or I’d recommend them. A mid-class switch to a different gun is preferable to 1000 reps with a gimpy grip.
    I don’t want to use gloves either. Why j and j med tape as opposed to whatever athletic tape I mentioned above as tpc’s recommendation?
    Last edited by Medusa; 07-03-2019 at 11:49 PM.

I am certainly interested in the gloved aspect, as I wonder if it would be allowed, or covered (what if it was a where do you live/shooting in winter type of class). I wrenched for a few years, and used gloves to reduce some of the impact fatigue, and still keep some around. (most recent trial ones are MUCH thinner)

Site Supporter
    If you have time, consider sending the gun to LTT for his carry bevel. Someone will have to answer about production legal but it is an LTT gun ...

On another note, shooting handguns, especially at speed involves the whole body, not just the hands so my recommendation for a 3 day class would be an RX for Ibuprofen 800mg. If you hurt / feel bad it detracts from the learning you are paying for.

Re: tape - what ever you get, I find cloth tape sticks best regardless of type / brand also wider tape 2” or 3” sticks better. You can alwaYs cut it down with some scissors or med shears.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    If you have time, consider sending the gun to LTT for his carry bevel. Someone will have to answer about production legal but it is an LTT gun ...

On another note, shooting handguns, especially at speed involves the whole body, not just the hands so my recommendation for a 3 day class would be an RX for Ibuprofen 800mg. If you hurt / feel bad it detracts from the learning you are paying for.

Re: tape - what ever you get, I find cloth tape sticks best regardless of type / brand also wider tape 2” or 3” sticks better. You can alwaYs cut it down with some scissors or med shears.
    Thanks. Yeah, not gonna bevel my 92s, for reasons discussed elsewhere, but wouldn’t have time even if, contrary to fact, I wanted to. I’ve got anti inflammatories covered....been involved in several sports over the years where they come in handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Butterfly View Post
    I don’t want to use gloves either. Why j and j med tape as opposed to whatever athletic tape I mentioned above as tpc’s recommendation?
    I’m good with the TPC recommendation but have used the jnj personally. The advantage of med tape is that it is easier to find at a small town Walgreens. HCM is right to say that the important thing is that it’s cloth tape.
    Ignore Alien Orders

I military grade duct tape known wear points.
    Usually Glock knuckle, make sure you tape i while bent in shooting grip.
    At Rogers, using a G17 with skateboard tape, I taped the finger tips of my shooting hand 3rd and 4th fingers. This was because my support hand grip crushing them into the tape made them sore.

You can toughen the skin through dry practice and soaking them in brine like old style bare knuckle fighters.

User Tag List