Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Modern manufacturing has made it almost impossible to spot a fake Rolex

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    My Dad buys Chinese semi-knockoff G-Shocks (He didn't even know what brand they were copying, just liked that they were dirt cheap) of which he has given me several. When people used to complement me on my G-Shock, my standard line was " no, it's an 'S-Shock'. It's eleven letters better!" I wish my current solar powered one had the 'S-Shock' branding. I guess the S stands for Skmei.

They are the Rohm of watches.
    Last edited by Baldanders; 07-04-2019 at 10:13 AM.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Sinn U1
    Official watch of Pistol-Training.
    Only the bezel is tegimented!? What am I, a poor?

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    l bought a fake Timex.
    Oddly enough, the $10 Casio F-91W is a widely faked watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    The sw200 movement in newest versions is total trash in my snobby opinion.

Maybe trash is too strong a word. A copy of a copy sort of. Hard for me to get excited about that.

The funky colors are tempting
    If the rumors of ETA halting sales outside of the Swatch group ever come true, Sellita is going to be pretty much all we have for Swiss ebauche movements.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    l bought a fake Timex.
    I have a pink Timex Indiglo. Pink, because I would take off my watch when doing minor aircraft maintenance and sometimes, it'd fall between the seats. Pink was easier to see. These days, I only wear a watch when I go to the movies.

When I was working, I regarded Rolex watches as an indicator that the guy across the table was going to either be difficult or a real asshole, for who the hell buys a gizmo that costs as much as an Acura to tell time. They're flaunting their status like a woman waving around her new engagement ring.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by perlslacker View Post
    Only the bezel is tegimented!? What am I, a poor?

Oddly enough, the $10 Casio F-91W is a widely faked watch.

If the rumors of ETA halting sales outside of the Swatch group ever come true, Sellita is going to be pretty much all we have for Swiss ebauche movements.
    Buy watches with in house movements....job done

Everyone below Rolex tier seems to modify ETA/Sellita movements just enough to get away with calling them "in house" these days. I have a Junghans like that.

And Rolex's movements aren't much to write home about in terms of horology. They're durable and reasonably accurate, which is awesome, but I don't think of them as being artful like JLC. Not to mention that Rolex's constant march upmarket is making it more and more difficult to own them.
    Last edited by perlslacker; 07-04-2019 at 11:12 AM.

That's only good advice for major established brands.
    Buying an in house movement is a good way to end up with an in house paperweight when the mechanical watch market slumps again.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    When I was working, I regarded Rolex watches as an indicator that the guy across the table was going to either be difficult or a real asshole, for who the hell buys a gizmo that costs as much as an Acura to tell time. They're flaunting their status like a woman waving around her new engagement ring.
    I sometimes resemble that remark.

Rolex made one product line with a decorated movement, the Cellini Prince. It also looks nothing like a Rolex Oyster as the design inspiration was from the Rolex Prince line, a line that predates the Oyster. The Cellini Prince models are somewhat obscure even to Rolex fans, of which I am one.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Not to mention that Rolex's constant march upmarket is making it more and more difficult to own them.
    Why is this a bad thing?
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    That's only good advice for major established brands.
    Buying an in house movement is a good way to end up with an in house paperweight when the mechanical watch market slumps again.
    True. Which is why buying no name makers is odd to me.

Everyone below Rolex tier seems to modify ETA/Sellita movements just enough to get away with calling them "in house" these days. I have a Junghans like that.

And Rolex's movements aren't much to write home about in terms of horology. They're durable and reasonably accurate, which is awesome, but I don't think of them as being artful like JLC. Not to mention that Rolex's constant march upmarket is making it more and more difficult to own them.
    Skydweller and YM II have unique and useful (relatively) complications.

I’m one of the few who love omegas coaxial work - just not the brand and non-existent 2nd value of modernish pieces.

User Tag List