Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern manufacturing has made it almost impossible to spot a fake Rolex

Modern manufacturing has made it almost impossible to spot a fake Rolex

https://gizmodo.com/modern-manufactu...o-s-1835267932

At one point in time, it was easy to spot a fake Rolex, as most knock-offs used a non-mechanical Quartz movement inside that resulted in a stuttered ticking movement of the watch’s second hand. But as the experts at Watchfinder & Co. discovered, that’s far from the case today. The best Rolex fakes can be almost impossible to spot, even for expert collectors.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Time to buy rolex fakes and flex on all the "poors" out there...

#RESIST

When you have such a conspicuous symbol of luxury that hasn't changed much since its 1950s debut, the fakers have had a long time to get it right. Kinda like Louis Vuitton bags.

Also, the fit and finish of a Rolex isn't to the level of others, so they're intrinsically easier to replicate.

Another thing to be wary of in the secondary market are the "Frankenrolex", which is a Rolex cobbled together from several non-functioning ones.

If you are looking at purchasing a Rolex but don't care about "flexing on the poors", check out the dive watches from Jaeger-LeCoultre or Blancpain. The MSRPs are often much higher than a Rolex, but since they're not as well known amongst the unwashed masses, resale can be considerably less. So you can get more watch for less money, and not worry about unwanted attention, as the guy behind you at the Arco doesn't know what a Fifty Fathoms or Master Compressor are.

PS: play a prank on a friend wearing a Rolex with Roman numerals. Tell him you know his Rolex is fake and you can prove it. Ask him, without first looking at his Rolex, what symbol is the Roman numeral 4. Then tell him to look at his watch.
    Last edited by HopetonBrown; 07-03-2019 at 02:43 PM.

Site Supporter
    Are the nice fakes made in in a particular country?

If you know the particular watch, finding the fakes is not too difficult. Rolex has made quite a few changes since I started "acquiring" watches in 1990. But there are a lot of Rolex models, so one person can find it difficult to be knowledgeable on all models.

When I bought my 16238 (18K YG Datejust made in 1990), the watchmaker pulled the movement so I could examine it and photographed the markings on the case, bracelet end links, and clasp. Once you have seen a few dozen real samples, the fakes become easier to ID. Fake dials are pretty easy, especially ones with diamond markers, due to the way Rolex picks and sets gems. The hallmarks on the case and clasp often tell the story.

In the Rolex world, used watches are bought with the adage of "buy the seller, not the watch". Deal with known people in the hobby and things are good. I have bought watches from DavidSW in Orlando and Capetown Diamond in Atlanta. Both are GTG.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Back when we were poor students and shortly after, all my idiot friends who bought fake watches bought fake Rolexes. I've never actually seen a fake watch of any other brand.

So when I finally did get a decent watch, it wasn't a Rolex.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    i'm assuming the 2nd one in the paired sequences is the fake.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Back when we were poor students and shortly after, all my idiot friends who bought fake watches bought fake Rolexes. I've never actually seen a fake watch of any other brand.

So when I finally did get a decent watch, it wasn't a Rolex.
    I have fake Omega & Armani watches I bought in Italy.
    Everyone assumes a Rolex is a fake, but not others for some reason.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I don't think anyone should be admitting to buying, owning, selling counterfeit goods. (Call me prudent...or careful. Or aware that strange things happen.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List