Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Disneyland's Security Screening

Disneyland's Security Screening

After San Bernardino I heard that Disneyworld in Florida had instituted new security screening procedures, which included walk through metal detectors. They are at Disneyland/California Adventure as well.

The standard warning given on the tram ride from the parking lots to the park has been modified to include the following statement (IIRC): "selfie sticks, weapons, and objects that look like weapons including toy guns are not permitted in Disneyland or California Adventure. Guests older than 14 may not wear costumes or masks." I was carrying my normal EDC, which includes a SAK Classic, a Byrd Meadowlark (Chinese made version of the Delica with serviceable steel), and a StreamLight Protac 2L. The StreamLight was clipped to the left pocket and both knives were carried deep in the right pocket.

Previously, the security procedure had involved people who looked in bags and for visible weapons, which had included knives. There are substantially more security personnel now. There are still the bag checkers (my backpack, filled with snacks, water, and first aid kits triggered no concern). There are now Spotters, who identify people who will receive secondary screening. The Spotters approach people ("Winners") who meet whatever criteria Disneyland has and politely ask the Winners to go through a secondary screening. The Spotters walk the Winners to a walkthrough metal scanner which is manned by Scanners. Scanners ask Winners to put all metal objects in a familiar plastic bowl (whoever makes these bowls has made a lot of money since 9/11) and then walk through the metal scanner. This is as far as a I got on my first attempt because I was selected as a Winner.

The Scanner saw my SAK Classic (my keys were the first thing I pulled from my pockets) and immediately said you can't bring that into the park. Given that the Classic is only slightly bigger than the multivitamin I take, I responded, "Really?!" I continued to pull stuff out of my pocket until I got to the Meadowlark. I was informed I could not bring that into the park either and the Scanner asked me to talk with yet another layer of security, the Smile. The Scanner pointed out the Classic and the Meadowlark to the Smile and the Smile said that the Classic was allowed but that the Meadowlark could not be brought into the parks. No one was concerned by the StreamLight. I was given the option of permanently surrendering the Meadowlark or returning it to my vehicle. I chose option two.

When I returned (without the Classic or the Meadowlark), I was again selected (by different Spotters) to be a Winner. I did the pocket dump again and walked through the scanner without incident.

The incident was irritating for a couple of reasons. First, the security procedures are not really designed to make people safer in Disneyland. There are no knife attacks in Disneyland. Normal park goers are not stabbing each other (it's the "Happiest place on earth" dontcha know). These procedures are nominally intended to prevent terrorists/active killers. However, I could have brought a zirconia ceramic blade into the park without a problem (so long as there are no metal pins). Same with glass, black-powder, kerosene, etc. So, no, the security procedures are not going to prevent any criminal who performs even the most basic recon (which active killers frequently do). What the security procedures are intended to do is limit Disney's liability. Disney can now say it took reasonable procedures to prevent weapons from entering and therefore defend itself in the inevitable lawsuit that will be filed once some nutjob kills/hurts people at a Disney park. So, that's my first pet peeve. Disney's actions only make one entity safer, and that entity is Disney.

My second pet peeve is that I clearly meet Disney's Winner profile. I was wearing blue jeans, a t-shirt, and a short-sleeved overshirt. My EDC makes visible bulges in my blue jean pockets. I'm assuming any one of three factors triggered the extra scrutiny: (1) bulging pockets; (2) something (the StreamLight) clipped to my pocket; (3) the overshirt. I asked a male acquaintance I met at the park if he had been screened, and he had not (he had none of the indicators I mentioned). He was later somewhat surprised when he discovered I brought a flashlight into the park (I didn't tell him I carry one every day).

I was already planning on buying some of the more innocuous pants referenced in the recent pants thread which will have bigger pockets and decrease the issue of printing gear. I am also now suddenly interested in the pocket organizer thingies that you slide into a pocket for clipping gear.

The most amazing thing was that my wife stated that we should discuss whether we will continue to give Disney our money given Disney's increasingly intrusive scrutiny. She's previously been willing to forgive the various indignities required to enter a Disney park. She hates when some of her underwire bras set off the metal detectors (some use a rigid plastic insert instead of a metal insert) at airports, triggering an unpleasant experience. Is that coming to Disney soon too?

Quote Originally Posted by Kukuforguns View Post
    After San Bernardino I heard that Disneyworld in Florida had instituted new security screening procedures, which included walk through metal detectors. They are at Disneyland/California Adventure as well.

The standard warning given on the tram ride from the parking lots to the park has been modified to include the following statement (IIRC): "selfie sticks, weapons, and objects that look like weapons including toy guns are not permitted in Disneyland or California Adventure. Guests older than 14 may not wear costumes or masks." I was carrying my normal EDC, which includes a SAK Classic, a Byrd Meadowlark (Chinese made version of the Delica with serviceable steel), and a StreamLight Protac 2L. The StreamLight was clipped to the left pocket and both knives were carried deep in the right pocket.

Previously, the security procedure had involved people who looked in bags and for visible weapons, which had included knives. There are substantially more security personnel now. There are still the bag checkers (my backpack, filled with snacks, water, and first aid kits triggered no concern). There are now Spotters, who identify people who will receive secondary screening. The Spotters approach people ("Winners") who meet whatever criteria Disneyland has and politely ask the Winners to go through a secondary screening. The Spotters walk the Winners to a walkthrough metal scanner which is manned by Scanners. Scanners ask Winners to put all metal objects in a familiar plastic bowl (whoever makes these bowls has made a lot of money since 9/11) and then walk through the metal scanner. This is as far as a I got on my first attempt because I was selected as a Winner.

The Scanner saw my SAK Classic (my keys were the first thing I pulled from my pockets) and immediately said you can't bring that into the park. Given that the Classic is only slightly bigger than the multivitamin I take, I responded, "Really?!" I continued to pull stuff out of my pocket until I got to the Meadowlark. I was informed I could not bring that into the park either and the Scanner asked me to talk with yet another layer of security, the Smile. The Scanner pointed out the Classic and the Meadowlark to the Smile and the Smile said that the Classic was allowed but that the Meadowlark could not be brought into the parks. No one was concerned by the StreamLight. I was given the option of permanently surrendering the Meadowlark or returning it to my vehicle. I chose option two.

When I returned (without the Classic or the Meadowlark), I was again selected (by different Spotters) to be a Winner. I did the pocket dump again and walked through the scanner without incident.

The incident was irritating for a couple of reasons. First, the security procedures are not really designed to make people safer in Disneyland. There are no knife attacks in Disneyland. Normal park goers are not stabbing each other (it's the "Happiest place on earth" dontcha know). These procedures are nominally intended to prevent terrorists/active killers. However, I could have brought a zirconia ceramic blade into the park without a problem (so long as there are no metal pins). Same with glass, black-powder, kerosene, etc. So, no, the security procedures are not going to prevent any criminal who performs even the most basic recon (which active killers frequently do). What the security procedures are intended to do is limit Disney's liability. Disney can now say it took reasonable procedures to prevent weapons from entering and therefore defend itself in the inevitable lawsuit that will be filed once some nutjob kills/hurts people at a Disney park. So, that's my first pet peeve. Disney's actions only make one entity safer, and that entity is Disney.

My second pet peeve is that I clearly meet Disney's Winner profile. I was wearing blue jeans, a t-shirt, and a short-sleeved overshirt. My EDC makes visible bulges in my blue jean pockets. I'm assuming any one of three factors triggered the extra scrutiny: (1) bulging pockets; (2) something (the StreamLight) clipped to my pocket; (3) the overshirt. I asked a male acquaintance I met at the park if he had been screened, and he had not (he had none of the indicators I mentioned). He was later somewhat surprised when he discovered I brought a flashlight into the park (I didn't tell him I carry one every day).

I was already planning on buying some of the more innocuous pants referenced in the recent pants thread which will have bigger pockets and decrease the issue of printing gear. I am also now suddenly interested in the pocket organizer thingies that you slide into a pocket for clipping gear.

The most amazing thing was that my wife stated that we should discuss whether we will continue to give Disney our money given Disney's increasingly intrusive scrutiny. She's previously been willing to forgive the various indignities required to enter a Disney park. She hates when some of her underwire bras set off the metal detectors (some use a rigid plastic insert instead of a metal insert) at airports, triggering an unpleasant experience. Is that coming to Disney soon too?
    I wonder about their employee screening.

As the saying goes, every palace has a servants entrance.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Thanks for the info, I'm headed down this month. I was aware that Disney World was pretty much a no-go with firearms but I hadn't ever though my EDC folder would be an issue. You probably saved me some embarrassment and a trip back to the car.
    Last edited by MD7305; 02-07-2016 at 03:40 AM.

Ah, "security theatre" at its finest.

So, had you not won their screening lottery, you could've walked in with anything you could affix to your person?

Having lived in Orlando, The Rat is only interested in:

1) Vacuuming as much money from your wallet as possible, and

2) Preserving The Rat's 'family' image (see 1), above.)

Everything they do revolves around these two principles. I think you had the right answer for your pat down in 'limit liability'. They have excellent attorneys on staff that don't miss a trick.
    Last edited by RJ; 02-07-2016 at 08:19 AM.

My gut tells me it's fairly probable that a female wearing a hijab could enter just about any venue without being hindered by any physical scrutiny. I would like to think I'm completely wrong in that assumption, but I'm not so sure.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Well now I really want to go and see if I'm a winner or not.
    i used to wannabe

Site Supporter
    My opinion is that all the security screenings, no weapon signs, etc. are purely an attempt by companies (and the government) to limit their liability. The question to ask is "since I am disarmed by your policies, do you now take liability for my personal safety?". The answer of course is if you do not like the rules, then do not come inside. My former employer - .mil - was the worst.

We went to Disneyworld for the first time in decades for a vacation. I felt like I was in the seediest area outside a military base where local "establishments" vied with each other to fleece soldiers from their pay - in fact, most communities seemed to have cleaned up those areas around the base over the last decade.

Another establishment that will never see a cent of my money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I go by 1 rule. If I can't carry my 1911 and my 2 knives, I have no reason to be there!

User Tag List