Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: F.A.S.T Revolver Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    Would a New York Reload still be in the rules?
    That’s actually a very interesting question and given that dudes who knew a thing or two about a thing or two back in the day actually carried that way, I don’t see how it wouldn’t be a thing specifically for wheelguns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    What revolver setup would you lean towards?
    Moon clipped .45 Auto. Open top pouches from simply Rugged. Holster of choice.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I'm not even sure I could pull that off without a reload. Now I must try. Who has an AIWB holster for a Match Champion or 686?
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    Would a New York Reload still be in the rules?
    When my 3" bobbed K project is complete, I'll certainly be giving this a shot. Hell, I may try it with the 640-1 and the 642-2 prior to then.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Seems we've lost sight of the forest for the trees. A ~6 second FAST with a carry revolver is excellent and shows solid skills with that gun. Chasing a time with equipment that's not relevant to the street task is what Jeff Cooper termed PII: Pursuit of Inconsequential Increments. Use what you really use, find your solid performance level and then work on something else that's a bit more street relevant. It's a shooting drill, not a tactical one.
    I concur that chasing it with equipment defeats the purpose of the drill.

If I just wanted to break the time record, a 627 V-Comp with .38 Short Colts, a red dot, and "concealed" with a starched IDPA vest would probably allow me to obliterate the drill. But that's why I was thinking a M19 K-Comp (a gun I'd actually carry), from an appendix holster, using speed loaders as opposed to moonclips, and firing at least a minor power-level load (as opposed to a Cowboy load or target load).

For me, getting a sub-5 F.A.S.T is: 1) A goal to work towards. 2) Requires me to rebuild the fundamental skills I have lost from not regularly shooting DA revolvers over the past 5-6 years 3) Fun. 4) I previously tried, but couldn't get there. It's an attainable goal, so I want the challenge of trying to attain it.

If I were going to run a moonclipped gun to try this, I'd get funky, a 9mm LCR. Again, a gun I would actually carry. I could use moonclips speeding up the reload, but I'd gain the challenge of making the hits with a 2" snub weighing <20 ounces, instead of a 35 ounce 3" steel gun.

Site Supporter
    I think that if you're wanting optimum practical revolver skill, you'd be well served to work on performing well on Hackathorn's Wheelgun Glory. It tests the spectrum of revolver skills.

Hackathorn Wheelgun Glory
    (from Ken Hackathorn 07/24/2017)

Target: IDPA with 4” head circle zone
    Score: Down one second per point dropped. 100 seconds pass/fail; 85 seconds very good.
    All starts from the holster, preferably concealed or duty rig

Stage I – Seven Yards: Failure Drill freestyle – Record time; Repeat strong hand only – Record time 6 shots per drill/6 shots cumulative
    Stage II – Five Yards: Hackathorn Head Shot Drill – three target array; draw and fire one shot to each head going left to right, right to left and center/each side. Record times for each run. 9/15
    Stage III – 10 yards: Tri-Presidente Drill: three target array; shooter faces up range 180 degrees. On signal turn and draw and fire three shots to each body (reload required) and then one shot to each head. Record time. 12/27
    Stage IV – 15 yards: Draw and fire six shots on one target. Record time 6/33
    Stage V – 15 yards: Draw and fire three shots freestyle, then switch to support side freestyle and fire three more shots. Record time. 6/39
    Stage VI – 20 yards: Draw and fire two rounds and record time. Repeat twice for total of six rounds fired. 6/45
    Stage VII – Wizard Drill – Three yards: SHO head shot. Record time.
    Five yards: Freestyle head shot. Record time.
    Seven yards: Freestyle head shot. Record time.
    10 yards: Freestyle pair to body. Record time.
    5/50
    Last edited by Wayne Dobbs; 07-03-2019 at 01:48 PM.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    I think that if you're wanting optimum practical revolver skill, you'd be well served to work on performing well on Hackathorn's Wheelgun Glory. It tests the spectrum of revolver skills.

Hackathorn Wheelgun Glory
    (from Ken Hackathorn 07/24/2017)

Target: IDPA with 4” head circle zone
    Score: Down one second per point dropped. 100 seconds pass/fail; 85 seconds very good.
    All starts from the holster, preferably concealed or duty rig

Stage I – Seven Yards: Failure Drill freestyle – Record time; Repeat strong hand only – Record time 6 shots per drill/6 shots cumulative
    Stage II – Five Yards: Hackathorn Head Shot Drill – three target array; draw and fire one shot to each head going left to right, right to left and center/each side. Record times for each run. 9/15
    Stage III – 10 yards: Tri-Presidente Drill: three target array; shooter faces up range 180 degrees. On signal turn and draw and fire three shots to each body (reload required) and then one shot to each head. Record time. 12/27
    Stage IV – 15 yards: Draw and fire six shots on one target. Record time 6/33
    Stage V – 15 yards: Draw and fire three shots freestyle, then switch to support side freestyle and fire three more shots. Record time. 6/39
    Stage VI – 20 yards: Draw and fire two rounds and record time. Repeat twice for total of six rounds fired. 6/45
    Stage VII – Wizard Drill – Three yards: SHO head shot. Record time.
    Five yards: Freestyle head shot. Record time.
    Seven yards: Freestyle head shot. Record time.
    10 yards: Freestyle pair to body. Record time.
    5/50
    I happen to know a really good shooter that just got a new to him 3.5" pre-Model 27. I'll print this out and have him try this.

We're going to shoot N-frames on the Fourth of July. Murica!

Lots of challenges. I need a shot timer.

Since it was mentioned before. FAST isn’t really a drill we want to use for pocket guns. Sure run it once in awhile, but with a J-frame a 5x5x5x5 and/or Hackathorn Wizard are go to drills for me with a J-frame. If you want to make it harder do dot torture with a J-frame. Or do it up one better and make it a 3x5x5x5 where the target is a 3” circle or the headbox of an IDPA or USPSA Metric target.

You could also try some of Claude Werner’s mouse gun drills. Since the J is such a limited capacity weapon, I tend to think about it as needing to solve problems efficiently. Head shots are pretty efficient in general.

5 seconds is going to be pretty tight. I've done it in under 7 seconds but not often with all good hits.

User Tag List