Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: F.A.S.T Revolver Shooting

F.A.S.T Revolver Shooting

Let's say, hypothetically, someone wanted to earn a F.A.S.T Challenge Coin, shooting a revolver. AND wanted to do it with the same 5-second par time held for semi-autos. No moving the goal posts for wheel guns. AND since the goal of a F.A.S.T isn't just to be fast, but to do it with carry-oriented gear, the gun(s) used to train and shoot the test in question should be carry-type guns.

What revolver setup would you lean towards?

Full disclosure, I've tried this once before. At the time I was running a 64-2 4" heavy barrel, DAO, with a DA action of about 9 pounds. It wouldn't reliably set off CCI primers. I used Federal match ammo in it. It's not a gun I would have carried on the street. And the best I ever did was about 5.75 without concealment, using HKS speedloaders and 6.25 with concealment using a 3:30 IWB holster.

Here is my current thinking:

1) Smith Model 19 K-Comp, de-locked, DAO conversion, Apex carry/duty spring kit.
    2) Smith Model 17 (new production), de-locked, shorten the barrel to 3", DAO conversion, lightest springs that reliably ignite bulk .22 ammo, same front sight as the K-Comp.
    3) Custom AIWB holster
    4) JOX speedloader pouch(es)
    5) Speedbeez "Dade-Type" speedloaders.
    6) Shotmaxx 2 timer

This would give me a sub-caliber understudy that could allow me to do a lot more live-fire drilling, in addition to dry-fire work. Based on my previous attempt, I figure it will take 12-months of solid work to get down into the 6s. But I'll have to get behind the gun and really get after it to see any gains. If I had to guess, I probably couldn't muster a 9 second effort right now with a revolver.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 07-02-2019 at 11:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Let's say, hypothetically, someone wanted to earn a F.A.S.T Challenge Coin, shooting a revolver. AND wanted to do it with the same 5-second par time held for semi-autos. No moving the goal posts for wheel guns. AND since the goal of a F.A.S.T isn't just to be fast, but to do it with carry-oriented gear, the gun(s) used to train and shoot the test in question should be carry-type guns.

What revolver setup would you lean towards?

Full disclosure, I've tried this once before. At the time I was running a 64-2 4" heavy barrel, DAO, with a DA action of about 9 pounds. It wouldn't reliably set off CCI primers. I used Federal match ammo in it. It's not a gun I would have carried on the street. And the best I ever did was about 5.75 without concealment, using HKS speedloaders and 6.25 with concealment using a 3:30 IWB holster.

Here is my current thinking:

1) Smith Model 19 K-Comp, de-locked, DAO conversion, Apex carry/duty spring kit.
    2) Smith Model 17 (new production), de-locked, shorten the barrel to 3", DAO conversion, lightest springs that reliably ignite bulk .22 ammo, same front sight as the K-Comp.
    3) Custom AIWB holster
    4) JOX speedloader pouch(es)
    5) Speedbeez "Dade-Type" speedloaders.
    6) Shotmaxx 2 timer

This would give me a sub-caliber understudy that could allow me to do a lot more live-fire drilling, in addition to dry-fire work. Based on my previous attempt, I figure it will take 12-months of solid work to get down into the 6s. But I'll have to get behind the gun and really get after it to see any gains. If I had to guess, I probably couldn't muster a 9 second effort right now with a revolver.
    I’ve thought about this and tried the FAST with one of my K frames. Think the best time I could get was in the 6’s from a OWB. I was using my 3” 67.

I’d probably stick w the same gun using a JMCK AIWB. I’d like to try the JOX pouch and the speedbeez loader. Never used either. Be fun to run.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

For FAST only use? Man, I dunno. That reload is a killer. Possibly a tuned, 3" GP100 5-shot .44 special. Reasons: the Ruger/Kimber push button release is fractionally faster for me than the S&W forward push latch (to say nothing of Colt’s grip-shifting pull release). Also, the 3" GP balance, excess weight, and easy-push recoil of the chambering helps tame the chaos. Lastly, having loaded 5-shot wheelies (including .44spec) on the clock before, I find that 5 big-ass slugs going into 5 big-ass holes is *fractionally* faster and more secure than wiggling 6 skinnier .38/.357 rounds into 6 tubes.

JMO, OMMV. I don’t see myself being the first with my hands and eyes, but that’s the rig I’d put together to try, money no object.

Either that, or two slicked SA wheelies, considering the second as a reload after dropping the first in the dirt...

ETA: I’ve never used a moon-clipped revolver. I’m sure that there are reasons that 625s are popular competition revolvers.
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 07-02-2019 at 11:58 PM.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    ETA: I’ve never used a moon-clipped revolver. I’m sure that there are reasons that 625s are popular competition revolvers.
    Nothing reloads faster. Nothing. At least in the wheel gun world.

I'm going to have to try this. I think I could be in the 6'ish range with a mooclip gun from a speed rig. And no, it shouldn't count even if 5.0 was achieved, but it's a fun idea!

J-frame from pocket?

"Is such a thing...even possible?"

Site Supporter
    possible..... maybe but highly improbable. Mostly because the shorter ejector rod makes it hard to insure that the spent rounds are ejected. I once did a full qual with a j frame and we had "speed reloads" required. I ended up with some rounds that were somewhat stuck in the cylinder and actually punctured my palm when slapping the ejector rod and still had to manually pull brass.

I am not sure I would even want to try it with a k frame with a shorter than 3 inch barrel due to having a smaller ejector rod.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    J-frame from pocket?

"Is such a thing...even possible?"

Just to do it? S&W 625-3 Model of 1989. Fully loaded clip in revolver. When you fire the first two, you still have the weight of four rounds to help drop the clip.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I use to try this 4 years ago and while I could consistently shoot it under 7 seconds, the best I was ever able to do was a 6.44.

My best FAST with a semi was 5.17, the difference was the reload.

My equipment was:

DAO S&W 686
    Comp III Speedloaders
    OWB open top holster
    160 Grain RN +P 38 Specials
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Site Supporter
    Seems we've lost sight of the forest for the trees. A ~6 second FAST with a carry revolver is excellent and shows solid skills with that gun. Chasing a time with equipment that's not relevant to the street task is what Jeff Cooper termed PII: Pursuit of Inconsequential Increments. Use what you really use, find your solid performance level and then work on something else that's a bit more street relevant. It's a shooting drill, not a tactical one.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Would a New York Reload still be in the rules?
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

User Tag List