Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Colorado PF’ers - HK P30 V1 LEM search

Colorado PF’ers - HK P30 V1 LEM search

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I am curious as to why the decock location on the P30 sucked?

I have a LEM V1 P30 but I am in the other side of the hill from you
    It doesn’t suck per de, it just sucks for me with the decreased range of motion. I found it near impossible to pull my right thumb back far enough and move it over to hit the button.

Mostly, the location of a CZ PO7 decocker or Sig 229 works for me, but I don’t really want to carry a full metal 229 and the PO7 beaver tail aggravates my scar tissue (though the Po9 I Shot was fantastic).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by kjr_29; 07-04-2019 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I don’t believe that’s what I said.
    I get what you said. Certainly easier to transition between the Glocks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    If you cannot find a LEM to shoot, keep an eye on the classifieds at HKPro for a deal on a used P30. If you buy it right you will not lose money on the deal.

In order to maximize your shooting performance with the LEM, I find dedicated dry plus live fire, spent exclusively with the LEM works best. If you don’t plan on maximizing your LEM performance, you will still have a quality HK firearm that will bring you plenty of joy on the firing line.

I think getting hands on is certainly an important part of the process. However, what feels good in the hand, does not always translate to measured performance. Based on what you have stated so far, you have done as much research and reading as possible, and now just need a sample in hand. May take some time, and all I can offer from Ohio is more observation and opinion.

I had asked for your previous handgun experience, and with the list you provided, I have some general observations. Now, these are strictly my subjective observations as finding a counterpoint is pretty easy.

Lookong over the list, certainly mostly striker fired, but a variety of guns. Not all Glocks have the exact same trigger and feel, as you know, so this should be beneficial. LEM seems to be a love / hate trigger. Again, in general, people who have a varied experience tend to do better with LEM. Where I see folks fall off the rails is when they grew up shooting a Glock, or any other one gun. It's not that LEM is necessarily bad, it's just different enough that it plays mental games. Games that can take time to play through and learn from. I have seen very experienced shooters give up on LEM because they could not reach a desired level of performance. The time to rewire was not worth it. One of my close friends who shoots 3 gun, borrowed my USP9c LEM and shot about 85% of me at a local match. Completely cold, without ever firing a single round from an LEM. My thinking there is that he consistently works with a variety of triggers and doesn't ride the reset and just works the trigger straight through.

I have heard the LEM described as being like a 2 stage trigger. That may be a good description, but that is not how you want to work it. Constant motion, finish flat. Think of rowing a boat, you don't jam the oars in the water, pause, then jerk to the rear. It's a smooth, constant motion. However, some don't like the light takeup, followed by the wall. And this is where the spring chart comes in.

I cut the following from another thread and modified for clarity:

Carried a P30 v3 (da/sa), for about 4 years (and 85k rds). Went to a P30 v1 for about a year (8k rds), then a P2000 v2 (LEM) for about 2 years (9k rds), then a USP9c v7 (LEM) for 2 1/2 years (14k rds). Looks like I'm switching back to a P30 v1 for reasons.

I prefer hammer fired guns, and HKs.

Good luck in your search
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    LEM seems to be a love / hate trigger.
    For me all in all, it's just mediocre, not more and not less.

LEM pros:
    • you can put your thumb on the hammer when you reholster (added safety) // better than Glocks
    • trigger pull weight of variant V4 (27.5 N = 6.2 lbs) is the best compromise over many use cases (I would not say this for other variants) // like Glocks

LEM cons:
    • very long reset (with the P30) // worse than Glocks

I like the P30 very much for its reliability, accuracy, ergonomics and looks (in this order). Not for its trigger.
    Last edited by P30; 07-05-2019 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    I think getting hands on is certainly an important part of the process. However, what feels good in the hand, does not always translate to measured performance. Based on what you have stated so far, you have done as much research and reading as possible, and now just need a sample in hand. May take some time, and all I can offer from Ohio is more observation and opinion.

I had asked for your previous handgun experience, and with the list you provided, I have some general observations. Now, these are strictly my subjective observations as finding a counterpoint is pretty easy.

Lookong over the list, certainly mostly striker fired, but a variety of guns. Not all Glocks have the exact same trigger and feel, as you know, so this should be beneficial. LEM seems to be a love / hate trigger. Again, in general, people who have a varied experience tend to do better with LEM. Where I see folks fall off the rails is when they grew up shooting a Glock, or any other one gun. It's not that LEM is necessarily bad, it's just different enough that it plays mental games. Games that can take time to play through and learn from. I have seen very experienced shooters give up on LEM because they could not reach a desired level of performance. The time to rewire was not worth it. One of my close friends who shoots 3 gun, borrowed my USP9c LEM and shot about 85% of me at a local match. Completely cold, without ever firing a single round from an LEM. My thinking there is that he consistently works with a variety of triggers and doesn't ride the reset and just works the trigger straight through.

I have heard the LEM described as being like a 2 stage trigger. That may be a good description, but that is not how you want to work it. Constant motion, finish flat. Think of rowing a boat, you don't jam the oars in the water, pause, then jerk to the rear. It's a smooth, constant motion. However, some don't like the light takeup, followed by the wall. And this is where the spring chart comes in.

I cut the following from another thread and modified for clarity:

Carried a P30 v3 (da/sa), for about 4 years (and 85k rds). Went to a P30 v1 for about a year (8k rds), then a P2000 v2 (LEM) for about 2 years (9k rds), then a USP9c v7 (LEM) for 2 1/2 years (14k rds). Looks like I'm switching back to a P30 v1 for reasons.

I prefer hammer fired guns, and HKs.

Good luck in your search
    Good feedback, thanks! Certainly more volume of shooting with striker, more longevity with less volume on DA/SA dating back to 90-91 timeframe. I would classify my habits or skills as still striker biased, though I never really rode the reset on those because I learned to shoot a pistol on the M9 platform. Before wrecking my thumb, I was shooting about 8-10k a year, all striker. I don’t think I shot more than 1.5k total pistol rounds in my Army career.

I have not really established a performance goal, maybe I should step back and quantify where I want to be in a year. Right now, what’s driving the switch is being able to shoot 200 rounds without aggravating the sensitive areas on that right thumb - which can be a component of a longer term performance goal.

I had the good fortune of spending a bit of time talking to Mr Langdon at SHOT show 2018, bought a PX4C the weekend I came home from Vegas. That was 15 months post surgery and I had just gotten the green light from the hand surgeon for unrestricted shooting. With that long of a hiatus, it was a good time to integrate the DA/SA (crawl phase again) and the mild recoil was welcome. I’ve given it 18 months and just am not progressing like I want - certainly not the guns fault. I just have a different baseline to start from now.

Functionally, it would be easier to go back to a Glock. I have a drawer of holsters and mags, plus a box of miscellaneous parts, GFA, etc. I can mitigate the DA/SA safety advantage for AIWB with an SCD and every single gun store around me has oodles of Austrian plastic on the shelf.

Off to go crawl inside my head and set a framework for performance expectations. #freetherapy

Quote Originally Posted by P30 View Post

LEM cons:
    • very long reset (with the P30) - worse than Glocks

I like the P30 very much for it's reliability, accuracy, ergonomics and looks (in this order). Not for it's trigger.
    Exactly. The USP9c v7 has the shortest reset of all I have tried. I picked up my P30 v1 for some range fun after being away from it for several years. What I had found was that things had changed, such as grip technique, recoil control, overall skill. I was immediately running .20 splits even with that long pull and reset. Glad I didn't sell off my P30s. I had no issues short stroking the P30, which indicates even after 14k on the USP9c, I am not programmed to a certain reset.
    Taking a break from social media.

I didn’t read the whole thread, but I am in C.Springs and have a P30Sk V1 you could try if you want. Lemme know.

Quote Originally Posted by P30 View Post
    For me all in all, it's just mediocre, not more and not less.

LEM pros:
    • you can put your thumb on the hammer when you reholster (added safety) // better than Glocks
    • trigger pull weight of variant V4 (27.5 N = 6.2 lbs) is the best compromise over many use cases (I would not say this for other variants) // like Glocks

LEM cons:
    • very long reset (with the P30) // worse than Glocks

I like the P30 very much for its reliability, accuracy, ergonomics and looks (in this order). Not for its trigger.
    I'd add the bobbed hammer to the list of pros for those who wish to carry concealed.

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    I didn’t read the whole thread, but I am in C.Springs and have a P30Sk V1 you could try if you want. Lemme know.
    Thanks. Will certainly keep this option in mind.

User Tag List