Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Colorado PF’ers - HK P30 V1 LEM search

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    My approach was to buy it and if I didn’t like it sell it. I wound up liking the P30, but when I’ve done that with other pistols it costs me between $100 (glocks) and $50 (keltec). Since it takes me at least $200 worth of ammo to figure out whether I kind of like a pistol, I figured it was a fair trade.

With the P30LEM it may be the best way to go, because there is a consensus here that it takes at least a couple thousand rounds to figure out whether it’s going to work for you, and with fewer it’s really not giving it a fair shake.
    That confirms what I took from all my research. I like the concept of the small, medium and long slide options all being alike, but they are pretty tough to find at the moment. I read about HK financial woes as well, that has me re-thinking a bit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I put 600 rounds through a P2000 LEM V2. For me, it just never worked that well. I'm the odd ball who like the Sig DAK better and even the P250 DAO better.

Clearly some people love the LEM and it works for them.

I think you have the right mindset in wanting to try it, because it's a unique deal.

Good luck!

What previous pistols do you have experience with?
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    What previous pistols do you have experience with?
    Long answer to your short question. Here’s my rough resume of ownership (minus M9)

Beretta M9 (21 years in the Army, retired in 2015 before M17 intro).
    Glock 17 gen 3
    Glock 19 gen 3
    Glock 22 gen 3
    M&P 1.0
    Walther PPQ M2
    XDm 3.9 9mm
    XDm 4.5 9mm
    XDm 4.5 45
    Sig P320 C 9mm

Colt M1993
    Glock 42
    Beretta PX4 C 9mm

I only have the bottom three at the moment. Springfield is PNG with me, the 320 recall led me away from that model. The 1993 is sentimental to me (was my grandfathers), the 42 is a hoot and the PX4C is amazing, but I have some significant scarring on my right thumb from a tendon replacement (mountain bike crash, rebuilt thumb in 2016) so when I adjust grip to avoid the oversized knuckle, I cannot use the decocker and I am just not meshing with weak handed manipulation. The decocker on the V3 isn’t ideal either because the rebuilt thumb has about 75% range of the normal joint. CZ PO9 I shot was nice but the beaver tail causes same issue as the curvature on the Px4.

If I hold it this way, I can relieve pressure from the scar but barely get my finger in a good spot on the trigger, my DA pull really suffers and I push left.

If I hold this way, I get a good pull but right numb cannot hit standard decock levers. Stealth levers are a no go for sure for me. Red line depicts scar path.

The P30 was ergonomically great and I did not find the mag release hard to figure out at all. The decock location sucked though, hence the LEM search.

I plan to go back to DCF guns Friday and rent a Glock, one thing I have learned is the more I can spread the recoil impulse across the palm, the less ‘buzzing’ I get through the scar tissue area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am curious as to why the decock location on the P30 sucked?

I have a LEM V1 P30 but I am in the other side of the hill from you
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    I put 600 rounds through a P2000 LEM V2. For me, it just never worked that well. I'm the odd ball who like the Sig DAK better and even the P250 DAO better.

Clearly some people love the LEM and it works for them.

I think you have the right mindset in wanting to try it, because it's a unique deal.

Good luck!
    This mirrors my experience.

I took a P30SK V1 LEM through Mr. Givens Combative Pistol Class, so maybe 1,000+ rounds. Plus I shot it at the range of course.

I owned it and carried it at the same time I was learning USPSA with my VP9, so perhaps not really the best combination.

I am not law enforcement, just a semi retired .civ.

I found the LEM hard to consistently get good second shots on the timer. I found the trigger very light, relative to other guns I’ve shot. In the end, the objective advantages of the LEM design for its intended purpose (Law Enforcement) provides no benefit to me.

I sold both HKs and bought a Glock 19.5 and 26.5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    This mirrors my experience.

I took a P30SK V1 LEM through Mr. Givens Combative Pistol Class, so maybe 1,000+ rounds. Plus I shot it at the range of course.

I owned it and carried it at the same time I was learning USPSA with my VP9, so perhaps not really the best combination.

I am not law enforcement, just a semi retired .civ.

I found the LEM hard to consistently get good second shots on the timer. I found the trigger very light, relative to other guns I’ve shot. In the end, the objective advantages of the LEM design for its intended purpose (Law Enforcement) provides no benefit to me.

I sold both HKs and bought a Glock 19.5 and 26.5.
    I was wondering how long it would take for someone to chime in with a "Glock is what you need" post.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I was wondering how long it would take for someone to chime in with a "Glock is what you need" post.
    I don’t believe that’s what I said.

Quote Originally Posted by kjr_29 View Post
    Here’s my rough resume of ownership.....
    Just saw this. On the way to festivities, will give a detailed response later.
    Taking a break from social media.

A quick few points based on some of the above if I may:

First, yes, the reset on the LEM trigger variant is longer than some other systems (Glock, Beretta, CZ, etc.) but unless your intended purpose is top tier competition, who gives a flying fruit tart? If my splits are .33 versus .18 I simply don't care. When Robby Leatham invites me over and bets a case of my favorite brew on it then I'll probably go back to running a G34 and say I gave it a shot (not really, Rob if you are reading this kudos brother!). The LEM is an excellent system for high stress muzzle coverage of bipedal targets and for fun/semi-serious range time. Can you shoot the LEM system in competition, sure, but why? Competition is gaming and stacking the odds in your favor as much as possible, period.

Second, don't sweat HK's financial trouble. They have had terrible financials for years due to poor capital mismanagement. They aren't going anywhere, and if anything does happen, the company won't fold. It will simply re-org it's debt and a new vc firm will pick it up. It is a boutique brand with a huge global following.

Lastly, all combat firearms are simply tools to do a job. If your favorite brand of hammer is missing at the local hardware store you buy what they have in stock. Buy the LEM if you think it will be fun and spend your money on ammo and training. Who knows, maybe you will be the one to give Rob a run for his money? Well not really, but it can't hurt to try, right?

Mind you this is simply my slant post some great BBQ chicken and a few bottles of my favorite brew. If you disagree, well free advice is worth what you paid for it... Happy 4th everyone!

User Tag List