Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pocket gun test

Pocket gun test

Today I was working on a setting a baseline to test my progress with my j frame when ran from a pocket holster. I probably will add too this and input is welcome on if it's too easy/hard etc...initially I decided on this -

5 second standard per string/shoot the cylinder(5 shot gun then 5 rounds/6 shot gun shoot 6)
    All strings from the pocket, hand on gun
    uspsa metric

3 yards - shoot the cylinder SHO to the head box
    5 yards - shoot the cylinder FS to the head box
    7 yards - shoot the cylinder FS to the A zone

I ran it with a j frame from the pocket and I think that the 5 second par may be a bit generous, at least for me. So maybe if it was a drill for the masses then I'd offer it as levels - so level 1 is five seconds per string, level 2 4 seconds, and level 3 is three seconds per string. I like this because it gives me something to work toward. I think I would like to add to it and put some further distance in. I don't add any reloads, simply because the pocket gun for me is a bug or lounge gun that I don't worry about or plan to reload at all. I know others vary on this. What do you think? What would you change/add etc...? If you run it how did you do and what did you like/dislike?
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

442 from safariland 25

3 yards sho - 3.11
    5 yards headbox - 4.18
    7 yards a zone - 3.51 -1

Name:  20190702_110819.jpg
Views: 1917
Size:  17.6 KB
    3 yards sho

Name:  20190702_111312.jpg
Views: 1848
Size:  17.6 KB
    5 yards fs

Name:  20190702_111441.jpg
Views: 1827
Size:  21.4 KB
    7 yards fs -1

I think i may change it or do a variant that is further to keep the 5 second par. 5 yards sho to the headbox, 7 yards fs to the headbox, 10 yards fs to the a zone.

I modified it today, as i wasn't happy with the accuracy standard. 3x5 for the sho@3 and freestyle @5 and a 4x6 for the fs @7. Kept the 5 second time though. Went ot at 5 but a nice tight group, pulled one at 7 after a trigger freeze, first with this gun.

Name:  20190709_100205.jpg
Views: 1533
Size:  22.5 KB

Name:  20190709_100313.jpg
Views: 1549
Size:  23.4 KB

Name:  20190709_100415.jpg
Views: 1561
Size:  26.0 KB

Name:  20190709_100428.jpg
Views: 1509
Size:  21.9 KB

I like the drill. I ll shoot it next time I get out on the range. When we came up with the Snubby Super Test the goal was from the ready at 10 and 5 yards and the pocket or holster at 3 with the idea that if you are at the bit longer distances you will have hopefully armed yourself ahead of time and are at a challenge or assessment and evaluation stage of the encounter (home defense, or disturbed or violent person in public), while the three yard is a counter robbery or assault.
    I like the 3-5-7 pocket drill (already named it) that is great for people who are using a lot of pocket carry alone.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Ooh, thanks for bumping the thread. I'm putting together my range plan for later in the week and was stumped for a cold drill to kick it off that I want to do. Had meant to do this before so it's getting the nod. Will shoot my pocket .22 LCR dead cold and then compare a S&W model 36 plus confirm ignition reliability on a buddy's H&R 733 which he asked me to trim the hammer spring as far as reasonably possible.

Edit for notes to self: Use a 1/4 sheet of paper for the high center chest as I lack a 4x6 card but 4.24x5.5 will be close enough. May also use full wadcutters for the 3yd in the .32 and round nose in the 5yd to self-differentiate hits. Might use one of the mass murderer faces with 4" circular overlay from Claude Werner's Advanced Pistol Practice ebook as the head target in the likely event I forget to restock the index cards in my range bag.
    Last edited by Hi-Point Aficionado; 07-09-2019 at 12:10 PM.

Remembered that I had done up a target to be printed on 11x17 paper. CoM is 4.25x5.5 and face is 3x4. Headbox is 6x6 with chamfered corners. Body is 11x11 and also chamfered corners. Thinking being that I could run negative taping in the blacked out tight zones. The body is close enough to the NRA's MQP defensive pistol 12" circle for beginners with a defined aiming point. Headbox a more advanced 6" square with defined aiming pount for more spunky folks. Nothing special but sonething I can scale for the whole family without hanging a pile of different targets. So I used it and gave myself a half inch grace on each side of the headbox to compare in this thread.

Decided to take influence from Messrs. Werner and Ellifritz in running it several times with different guns. Gave me repetitions, a feel with different size guns, different sights, different triggers, calibers, capacities, & c. First up and dead cold, my LCR:

Extra shots due to a dud bulk pack cartridge. High headshot from that uncounted string just cranking the cylinder around to re-strike without any sight focus. Re-shot for score and had no more duds.

If curious about the scoring notation, I next shot my old S&W model 36 with PPU 158gr LSWCHP:

I am trying the load as range fodder to stock up on brass and it is reasonably soft recoiling. Still need boot grips that cover the backstrap as my trigger finger naturally sets deep and tangles in my hands and the frame before the shot breaks without dedicated practice.

Then on to my newish second generation Ruger LCP with mounted Clipdraw:

The front sight has been painted with some fleshy/peachy nail polish of my daughter's. Could probably use brighter to help with tracking. It also shoots live driving the nonexistant dot rather than a dead center hold.

Then on to bugger my run with the Glock 42 featuring Defoor sights:

Drawing this thing from a pocket is less than graceful andit was retired from pocket duty for both that reason and its proclivity toward chewing through pocket fabric. Snaggy draws left me unconfident that O could make the par time and doubling down on the hot mess with mashed trigger pulls. Its comparative ease of use falls apart in this context. Glad to have a reminder that its retirement was a good idea. Extra body shots resulted from head-up-ass on the five yard line. Whoops.

Finished up with my Beretta 21 A with white painted front sight and CCI Mini-Mag solids as I forgot to bring the tweaked H&R model 733:

I have trouble tracking the sliver of a front sight and have to fight the urge to point shoot when pushing fast bu do love this little tippy barrel.

Points for improvement with my LCR:

- Draw to first hit to gain confidence in strings of fire.
    - Drill of the Week #27 a few times to address trigger control and front sight focus at speed.

Will do that for a while and then revisit this test with it in a month or so. And I look forward to revisiting as it is a nice drill to push yourself within tight targets and packs a lot of stuff into less than half a box of ammo. Oh, appreciated the chance to load some .380 Tula as the last round in each LCP and 42 magazine to use some up as the LCP hates it.

Alright Hi Point, let's see that "Tweaked 733"

Stat!

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    I like the 3-5-7 pocket drill (already named it) that is great for people who are using a lot of pocket carry alone.
    DB,

Could you expound a bit on your 3-5-7 pocket drill? Perhaps I’m being dense and missed it somewhere, but I would be interested in the particulars of how it is shot.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by LJP View Post
    DB,

Could you expound a bit on your 3-5-7 pocket drill? Perhaps I’m being dense and missed it somewhere, but I would be interested in the particulars of how it is shot.

Thanks!
    Not DB but I think he's referring to the OP's drill as that.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Not DB but I think he's referring to the OP's drill as that.
    I was. I have put some thought into a 3-5-7 pocket gun drill and I came up with what I think is a cool
    Little drill and set up for how we teach so there are no bad habits in it and can be shot walking out on a range from carry gear.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List