Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: RFI: New Hampshire

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    I moved to NH 12 years ago from NY and it is a night-and-day difference.

I'm 10 minutes away from the Manchester AP (in Bedford) and would be happy to meet up with you, and go to the Manchester Firing Line (good group of folks there) if you're game. Let me know via PM.
    I’ll contact you when I’m prepping a trip that won’t be so busy. Thanks!
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    I've lived in all the northeast states... If I had to spend all my time in MA, I might go ahead and live in MA depending on what I was into and where I spend my time.

There are some serious convenience gains, and at risk of being a heretic, MA is better for most non-gun things. The microbreweries in MA are world class, the microbreweries in NH are "go to MA". The hospitals in MA can plug gunshot wounds and sew limbs back on, the hospitals in NH will send you to MA. The tech companies in NH are a short list of defense contractors; the tech companies in MA are too numerous to list.

The major shooting sport events in the region are normally in MA, for whatever reason.

But it has an assault weapons ban and magazine limits. Residency games won't save you from these; they apply to out-of-staters, and non-resident CCW permits are even more of a pain than a resident permit.
    I do not plan on bringing any weapons into MA. I might look at a nonresident permit at some point, but to be honest it’s not that important to me compared to the reason I’ll be there.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I can work from home or anywhere, and the potential GF I’m coming east for has a home based business and two teens in school that will keep her tied to her current location in Reading, MA for at least four years. Our intent is if this works out the way we hope is for me to take NH residency with some kind of brick and mortar home in NH, but I’ll actually spend much of my time at her place working and sleeping there. I realize there won’t be any kind of CCW reciprocity with MA, and that if I took MA residency much of the contents of my safe would probably violate state law for residents. I will not willingly become a MA resident.

Down the road we have discussed selling her business and making a full time move to NH or elsewhere, she was planning that with her late husband anyways. We may also consider coming back this way to WI, but NH taxes are very compelling.

Thank you for the offer, I’m sure I’ll be taking you and others up on their offers of help.
    This is an interesting situation that's likely way more interesting in terms of taxes than it is in terms of gun laws.

This is an interesting situation that's likely way more interesting in terms of taxes than it is in terms of gun laws.
    Very true! For me, going from IL to NH looks like an instant 10% pay raise. And the real estate taxes I’m seeing are less or equal to what I pay here.
    Ken

I’ve lived in NH since 1973. The state has drifted from red to purple. We voted for the Democratic presidential candidate in every election since 1992 - the exception being 2000, and if Nader had not been running Gore would have won. Our four Congresspeople are Democrats and Democrats control the state legislature. Further, the pro gun Democrat no longer exists. Only the Republican governor is holding the line. The college towns and sea coast area are very liberal. The NH Republican party is Trump-centric; not a winning formula here. We have seen the best of our times.
    Last edited by xray 99; 07-23-2019 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xray 99 View Post
    I’ve lived in NH since 1973. The state has drifted from red to purple. We voted for the Democratic presidential candidate in every election since 1992 - the exception being 2000, and if Nader had not been running Gore would have won. Our four Congresspeople are Democrats and Democrats control the state legislature. Further, the pro gun Democrat no longer exists. Only the Republican governor is holding the line. The college towns and sea coast area are very liberal. The NH Republican party is Trump-centric; not a winning formula here. We have seen the best of our times.
    How quickly do you see things changing? In five years I will be able to relocate permanently.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    How quickly do you see things changing? In five years I will be able to relocate permanently.
    It's hard to say. This is a political landmine for this forum, but Trump is an anchor here and it remains to be seen if he'll drag down the otherwise very popular governor. My bet is that New Hampshire stays pretty free, so long as the GOP doesn't totally implode. But it's going to be a close thing.
    Last edited by TheRoland; 07-24-2019 at 08:26 AM.

It's hard to say. This is a political landmine for this forum, but Trump is an anchor here and it remains to be seen if he'll drag down the otherwise very popular governor. My bet is that New Hampshire stays pretty free, so long as the GOP doesn't totally implode. But it's going to be a close thing.
    Well, I’m of the belief that when they start unboxing docs for the Trump Presidential Library in twenty years we will find payments to 45 from Soros to have him destroy the Republican Party, but...

(Not serious, but that cynical)
    Ken

Update.

This past weekend was my first trip her way - she came here for a short visit a few weeks before that to take the edge off. Lol.

The purpose of this latest trip was mostly to meet family and head down to Cape Cod where she is from, but we did spend a half day wandering southern NH looking at likely areas for me to relocate. I’m trying to concentrate on areas a half hour or so from her home in Reading, so initially I am concentrating on Salem, Derry, Londonderry and possibly Hudson and Nashua. I really like what I see, in many ways it reminds me of northern WI.

All signs are good that I will be relocating by this time next year, and hopefully sooner.
    Ken

It’s interesting re-reading this thread a year later, and seeing what happened vs. what was planned.

Corona f’ed up the timelines, but I’m closing on my new home in southern NH Thursday. Michelle lost her business due to mandatory Covid shutdowns, so she and her youngest boy are moving in with me from the start. Her middle boy was supposed to start at SUNY Purchase this coming week, but he was converted to remote learning for at least the first semester so he will be with us for now, too.

It’ll take a few months for me to get everything moved and purged, but I hope to have the house here on the market sometime in October.

Big changes afoot...
    Ken

User Tag List