Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI - Defensive Spray

similar thing happened with my POM unit with clip, cracked near clip. contacted POM and they sent a free unit

Quote Originally Posted by fwrun View Post
    Wife’s keychain model POM unit cracked last week near the ring and upwards towards the top of the unit. I had to remove it from her keychain, as the canister was no longer properly retained. I contacted POM about it and was informed they have a lifetime warranty on the exterior plastic. They sent a new lower half, as well as a surprise, a whole new POM keychain model. I guess it was to make up for the inconvenience, but it was a totally unexpected move.

Site Supporter
    Fwiw, a POM unit in white with a coral/pink ring goes undetected during bag checks at Disneyworld. There isn't enough metal to set off their not-very-sensitive metal detectors. Neither does my Seiko five watch or cellphone.

Mine hasn't cracked yet, so I'm going to keep carrying it to see if/when it does.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Back from Disney and the POM spray was never discovered. The few times it was in my daypack it wasn't noticed during bag checks. I walked it through metal detectors nearly a dozen times without being noticed. I had one close call at Animal Kingdom where they don't use walk-through detectors. Instead, they do random wand checks. Naturally, when I'm not carrying my bag, they call me out for a wanding. They ran the wand right over the pocket holding the POM and the detector crackles a bit. She doesn't even pause and keeps going. Once she's done, she tells me to have a good evening and I'm free to go.

IMO, the POM, in non-tactical colors, is ideal for NPEs.

Chris
    Last edited by mtnbkr; 08-11-2019 at 09:02 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Back from Disney and the POM spray was never discovered. The few times it was in my daypack it wasn't noticed during bag checks. I walked it through metal detectors nearly a dozen times without being noticed. I had one close call at Animal Kingdom where they don't use walk-through detectors. Instead, they do random wand checks. Naturally, when I'm not carrying my bag, they call me out for a wanding. They ran the wand right over the pocket holding the POM and the detector crackles a bit. She doesn't even pause and keeps going. Once she's done, she tells me to have a good evening and I'm free to go.

IMO, the POM, in non-tactical colors, is ideal for NPEs.

Chris
    Very good to know.

I have carried other brands of plastic pepper spray keychain units (with key rings removed) through metal detectors, but nothing I have done even approaches this level of testing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Student
    Any updates on the POM plastic cracking? Has this issue been fixed?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Yung View Post
    I'm still carrying the same one I bought back in July with no cracks. That includes clipping it to the pocket of some fairly thick materials like Duluth's Firehose Work Pants (not the lighter Flex versions) and use in VA's Summer, Fall, and Winter and Florida's Summer temps (25deg-100deg so far).

Based on my sample of one, they're good to go and I'd buy more. The form factor is much more suitable for EDC when you have a lot of other stuff to carry and less "scary" to the "normals".

I'm not sure I'd use the keychain version due to how the housing is a friction fit to the internal canister (allows you to orient the clip, which I do so I can get the right grip by feel), but for clipping inside a pocket, it's fine.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Yung View Post
    Still carrying my POM canister daily since last June, no cracks or other breakage so far.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Mine’s been carried daily since August alternating between Carhartt heavy work jeans and regular blue jeans. I’ve had the clip separate from the body a couple of times when it’s lightly snagged on something but only with the thicker Carhartts. I think the thickness of the pocket top is near the limit of what the clip mount will reliably handle.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I've been carrying a POM with clip for a few months with no issues as well.

Since switching from a "normal" flashlight to the Surefire Stiletto I've been pretty amazed at how much more comfortable the shape is while in my pocket and have wondered if there are any defensive spray products that offer something similar. If not, is it just not possible to manufacture? Too expensive to manufacture? I'd be fine with something quite a bit longer than the POM, but having a flatter shape would definitely increase comfort for pocket carry.

Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    I've been carrying a POM with clip for a few months with no issues as well.

Since switching from a "normal" flashlight to the Surefire Stiletto I've been pretty amazed at how much more comfortable the shape is while in my pocket and have wondered if there are any defensive spray products that offer something similar. If not, is it just not possible to manufacture? Too expensive to manufacture? I'd be fine with something quite a bit longer than the POM, but having a flatter shape would definitely increase comfort for pocket carry.
    I've wondered the same thing; a flat pack would be much easier for me to carry than a tube. Sadly the only thing I've found close is that pepper blaster thing which I've been told kind of sucks.
    Last edited by mrozowjj; 01-10-2020 at 01:27 AM.

User Tag List