Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI - Defensive Spray

Student
    Thanks for the heads-up, Cecil.

In the meantime I took another look at their website and I realized they do have inert units available after all.

https://get-pom.com/products/pom-pra...29430423224362

Fox is usually what I get.

Site Supporter
    We go through a fair amount of Sabre Red in both of our jail facilities and, according to reports I have read, seems to work quite well. No complaints from staff.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    ...the range of the Key Defender is more like 5 feet. The Street Defender is likely to be a bit more...
    Correct regarding both. The Street Defender advertises a ten foot range on the cartridge. For those curious, the Palm Defender has an even shorter advertised range. My daily keys are on a Key Defender to force program compliance but I keep a Piexon JPX in my manpurse if I have a tickled intuition and need some extra range. Use an ASP Street Defender on my slimmed down and optimized vacation keys to get extra range and not have to carry as much crap when bumming around places. I've disabled MK-6 cans by dropping them and gave up on the size so bummer about POM not sounding any more rugged.

How does everyone carry your spray? I have both a Sabre Red keychain model and one of the new POM's, but haven't found a good way to carry either, especially in "dress casual" clothes.

Site Supporter
    I found that Fox ran out of steam fairly quickly as compared to some other brands. I think it is a good idea to get new ones yearly of any type, just as you change smoke detector batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    How does everyone carry your spray?
    I've since shortened the lead on my segregated high-use keys but support side AIWB for my Key and Street Defenders:

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    How does everyone carry your spray? I have both a Sabre Red keychain model and one of the new POM's, but haven't found a good way to carry either, especially in "dress casual" clothes.
    If I am carrying a Sabre keychain unit, it goes in a jacket for front pants pocket.

If I am carrying an ASP Key Defender, it may go in a jacket or front pants pocket, or may go in a back pocket, held mostly vertical by a wallet or business card holder in the same pocket. I have found, however, that back pocket carry of the Key Defender will put holes in some pants.

I rarely attach keys to my pepper spray. However, if attaching keys to a key defender is desired, the quick detach key ring is worth having. If keys are attached, the Key defender could be shoved inside a waistband with the keys hanging out.

Site Supporter
    Regarding the range of the Key Defender type devices:

For the Key Defender, from the ASP website:

"The Key Defender contains six 1/2-second bursts and has an effective range of five feet."

https://www.asp-usa.com/collections/...edium-defender

For the Palm Defender:

"The Palm Defender contains three 1/2-second bursts and has an effective range of three feet."

https://www.asp-usa.com/collections/...mpact-defender

For the Street Defender:

"The Street Defender contains thirty 1/2-second bursts and has an effective range of ten feet."

https://www.asp-usa.com/collections/...large-defender

I have had a Key Defender for a long time, but the number of sprays and range of the Street Defender seems quite significant for about 3/4 inch more length and a little more than 1/10 inch more diameter.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    ...I have had a Key Defender for a long time, but the number of sprays and range of the Street Defender seems quite significant for about 3/4 inch more length and a little more than 1/10 inch more diameter.
    Your miles may vary but I've found the Street Defender less comfortable AIWB for a long, active day and can't wait to take it out of my waistband by late evening. It also lacks color options while being a visibly larger stick so may attract more attention than the comparably svelte and innocuously colored Key Defenders. But you pocket yours so none of that may matter.

User Tag List