Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI - Defensive Spray

Pepper spray "training"

I remember years ago when NC DOC went to pepper spray. We had to go through training on it's use as well as being sprayed. We had a partner when sprayed. Can't remember the brand, but we were sprayed a short burst at the forehead just above the eyes. It took a second or two, but my eyes started burning, watering, and wanted to keep them shut. My partner guided me over to the water where I washed out my eyes with baby shampoo. Recovered enough as it was my partner's turn to get sprayed.

When I got home I took a shower. That spray lit me up again. At least this time I got it all off. Glad we didn't get tasers and had to go through that training.........don't tase me bro!

Freeze +P

Does anyone here have any experience with Freeze +P? It's what I've been carrying for a few years now based on the recommendations of a few LEO's with experience using it.

Also, from what I've read in the past, the formulation of the spray matters just as much as the actual OC/CS/CN concentrations. Is this the case, or is a higher concentration always better?

Thanks for your insights!
    "I need your help. I can't tell you what it is, you can never ask me about it later, and we're gonna hurt some people."

Fox Labs?

The last time I tested Saber Red, the stream was quite unimpressive. About 3 feet in front of me it hit the ground. And yes, the canister had been vigorously shaken and it was not out of date.

Anyone have experience with Fox Labs? I had always heard this was the hottest, but that was a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonshot View Post
    The last time I tested Saber Red, the stream was quite unimpressive. About 3 feet in front of me it hit the ground. And yes, the canister had been vigorously shaken and it was not out of date.

Anyone have experience with Fox Labs? I had always heard this was the hottest, but that was a few years ago.
    If your Sabre Red petered out at 3 feet, something was wrong and I suggest buying a new can of the same.

We carry Sabre Red at work and it works quite well. Most sprays will. The internet would have you believe that if you don’t have the hottest formula, it’s like a spritz of water to your opponent. Simply not the case. Just buy whatever your local cops are using if you are stressed about it.

With that being said, I picked up two cans of POM from the delivery driver today. Pocket clip for me and key ring for the bride. She was funny about carrying the big ugly black cans of Sabre, but the white and turquoise POM was perfectly acceptable. If that’s what it takes, I’m fine with it.

CWM11B
    For non LE use (and what I carry daily) I like Zarc's VEXOR brand. Tested it years ago at work and it was very effective. We didn't go to it due to a very long recovery time. For creating distance/escape it fits my purposes nicely

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacRay View Post
    Does anyone here have any experience with Freeze +P? It's what I've been carrying for a few years now based on the recommendations of a few LEO's with experience using it.

Also, from what I've read in the past, the formulation of the spray matters just as much as the actual OC/CS/CN concentrations. Is this the case, or is a higher concentration always better?

Thanks for your insights!
    It's what we carry at work. Works just fine in the times it's been used.

Fox Labs works like a charm.

Site Supporter
    I ordered one of the Pom sprays in white with a "girly" colored stripe. I'm thinking the non-tactical nature of the packaging might fly under the radar in questionable environments.

Chris

Site Supporter
    One question I've had is, how meaningful is the expiration date for these sprays?

Site Supporter
    I've tested Bodyguard and Sabre Red up to several years after expiration date. Within a couple years, they will probably work fine. I typically allowed officers to keep expired OC if they wanted it for off-duty or to give to a loved one. This also served the department because it was that many fewer expired OC cans I needed to dispose of.

That said, I wouldn't go nuts. If the can hasn't been banged around and/or damaged, it will probably be fine for a few months to a couple of years. But, they're not that expensive and they are now marked for longer expiration dates rather than the old three year expiration. You're better off buying a new can rather than counting on my estimate.

Our Bodyguard worked great and was clearly respected even by other OC manufacturers. The Sabre Red worked even better. We tested Fox Labs. The mist blowing across a marking lot sent a major running back into headquarters.

User Tag List