Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI - Defensive Spray

Site Supporter
    Before I knew anything about pepper spray, I sprayed an aggressive dog with 6% Mace brand spray. The dog backed out of range, and then came right back at me. This happened a few more times, with me either missing entirely or hitting the dog a bit behind the face. The owner, who could hear something happening but could not see us, called the dog back to him. The next time I saw that dog, it charged at me, I sprayed and completely missed, and the dog stopped charging. I suspect that the dog was made sufficiently uncomfortable the previous time not to want any more spray, but only after I had already left.

Thanks to all....

I made an initial recommendation for Sabre Red. There may be some urgency so I wanted to get her a direction without too much delay.

IIRC from John Murphy’s class, Sabre Red has a couple different blends. Make sure you get the spicier
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    I think most folks will recommend Sabre Red, although the cool kids like @John Murphy seem to be switching to POM.
    Over the years I've carried OC sprays from ASP, Spitfire, Sabre Red and a couple others, but never heard of POM till now.

Unfortunately, the POM website is remarkably content-free as regards detailed product information, and instead emphasizes the colors (!) of the spray containers and the colors (!) of the decorative stripe around each container, which are "catered to the modern individual", so one may "feel empowered", and "find the POM that fits your personal style", of course also emphasizing that the container is made of "FDA approved Polymer, a plastic product that is free from lead, toxins, and harmful chemicals" (since of course we all want to do our part in "saving the planet" by our choice of OC spray!) and though it does mention that the spray contains "1.40% Major Capsaicinoids", no information is provided about how this compares to other products, or whether the OC delivery is as spray, stream, foam, nor is there any mention of range.

Guess I'll just stick with Sabre Red...unless any here can give a convincing testimonial for POM, of course.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Site Supporter
    At @John Murphy's pepper spray class back in Feb (might have been Jan), he was still suggesting Sabre Red. However, looking at POM's site, I see they use 1.4% MCs vs SabreRed's 1.33%.

I'm a bit confused by their claim of 1.4% because elsewhere on the site they state 1.33%.

I can't imagine an extra .07% is noticeable, so maybe Mr Murphy will chime in.

That said, SabreRed is proven, so if you need something quickly, it's probably a safe bet.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I made an initial recommendation for Sabre Red. There may be some urgency so I wanted to get her a direction without too much delay.

Walmarts in SW Ohio usually have Sabre Red in the sporting goods department.

After some work, I found the form factor of the POM dispenser better for more people. (Women's pants are notoriously underpocketed.) Also the way they designed the thing for left/right carry was genius!

I did take the precaution of taping the rotating head into one position...for left pocket carry...since it has been my experience that if things can move they will, and I need absolute consistency. (Particularly with weapons!)

Regarding the formula, I gave it the taste test....MUY CALIENTE indeed! Their website is confusing since it lists both 1.33% and 1.4% MCC.

The video that John Correia posted illustrated the sort of effect we want to see, I think.

THE DOWNSIDE is that trainers have been promised for a long time...and have yet to arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Walmarts in SW Ohio usually have Sabre Red in the sporting goods department.
    I've seen that as well in other Walmarts, sometimes in sporting goods, sometimes near automotive.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by John Murphy View Post
    After some work, I found the form factor of the POM dispenser better for more people. (Women's pants are notoriously underpocketed.) Also the way they designed the thing for left/right carry was genius!

I did take the precaution of taping the rotating head into one position...for left pocket carry...since it has been my experience that if things can move they will, and I need absolute consistency. (Particularly with weapons!)

Regarding the formula, I gave it the taste test....MUY CALIENTE indeed! Their website is confusing since it lists both 1.33% and 1.4% MCC.

The video that John Correia posted illustrated the sort of effect we want to see, I think.

THE DOWNSIDE is that trainers have been promised for a long time...and have yet to arrive.
    I've found the pocket clip on the POM to be extremely weak as far as tension goes. Twice today when getting out of the car the spray was inside my pocket instead of clipped to it. I like the form factor, just wish it would stay put.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Not sure how to throw up the Bat Signal for Paul Sharp...but that guy would know.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    Thanks dude!

I still prefer Sabre Red. Maybe it's bias on my part however, seeing Sabre Red work over and over again in a wide variety of circumstances I remain a fan. POM seems to have potential and I see some folks switching to POM. I just haven't seen enough or heard about enough folks using it live to jump ship or recommend POM. Nothing against POM or the guys recommending it. I just don't have the depth of experience with POM to have faith in it's effectiveness.
    "There is magic in misery. You need to constantly fail. Always bite off more than you can chew, put yourself in situations where you don't succeed then really analyze why you didn't succeed." - Dean Karnazes www.sbgillinois.com

User Tag List