Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI - Defensive Spray

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    any idea regarding legal issues hosing humans with that. I've heard anecdotally in the past that it's not kosher to hose a human with bear spray but not sure if that's real.

Q: Why did you spray the mugger with "bear spray"?

A: I was carrying bear spray to defend myself against aggressive dogs as there are many documented cases of "standard" OC spray not being effective for that use. I used the "bear spray as a non-lethal means of defending myself as my only other option was a firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    any idea regarding legal issues hosing humans with that. I've heard anecdotally in the past that it's not kosher to hose a human with bear spray but not sure if that's real.
    Not sure if it's kosher. Maybe if its approved by a rabbi?

But, I really don't know the answer. If I was being attacked by a person and happened to be carrying bear spray, it seems reasonable to use it? Hopefully someone with actual legal knowledge will comment.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Keith E. View Post
    Q: Why did you spray the mugger with "bear spray"?

A: I was carrying bear spray to defend myself against aggressive dogs as there are many documented cases of "standard" OC spray not being effective for that use. I used the "bear spray as a non-lethal means of defending myself as my only other option was a firearm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Not sure if it's kosher. Maybe if its approved by a rabbi?

But, I really don't know the answer. If I was being attacked by a person and happened to be carrying bear spray, it seems reasonable to use it? Hopefully someone with actual legal knowledge will comment.
    I agree with both of these conceptually, it would just be good to know. Particularly if I'm sending my wife out with this stuff telling her "yeah, use this to keep the dogs and meth-heads away" and she winds up getting hauled off or otherwise cited for hosing a person.

Moreso what I'm concerned with is that we live in a sub-rural area with a wide demographic range. You've got the goat-boot, neck-beard, gold-chain-outside-shirt bocephus motherfuckers that think it's their god-given right to let their dog roam wild because "I was born and raised out here and so was my momma!" that are likely to get all sortsa offended if their precious is sent howling down the road pawing at their eyes.

How about a riot-sized unit?

Sabre 920060-C Sabre Red MK-9 DPS 18.5 oz Fog Delivery Spray

https://www.copsplus.com/sabre-sabre...delivery-spray

I’d have to look but bear spray probably just has a high percentage of OC. For humans the higher the percentage the longer it takes to decon. 5% works just as well as 10% for the most part.

I’ve never shot a dog on duty. Tonight I came as close as I ever have. My dog was in the car when I got out on an alarm call. He was barking. As I’m walking across the parking lot a Pit Bull comes running around the corner and target locks on me. He’s coming to bite me. I have no doubt. I had my Maglite in my left hand. I swung/pushed it at him as he closed on me (1-2 feet away) while yelling a loud PFUI( Phooey) and flipping the light so I can shine it in his eyes. It’s a Dutch command. It’s a hard harsh command. The dog backed up long enough for the owner to run up and grab it. He says he’s working his “therapy” dog off leash in the retention bastion behind the business I’m checking. The dog hears barking and breaks. I tell him he’s lucky his dogs not shot dead because if it was a patrol Officer I have no doubt there’d have been a shooting.

Another handler was driving by to go around and check the back of the business. He saw it and told me he expected to here some pops. So he pulls up and tells the guy he’s getting a dog at large ticket. The owner starts getting shitty about it to him. He claims to be a homeless vet and had a fixed blade knife and a hatchet on him. Blood pressure rises I basically tell him he needs to STFU, man up, and be happy he doesn’t have a dead dog.

Anyways I never even considered OC as an option. I had a slit second to react and used what I had in my hand. If it hadn’t worked I’d would’ve had a Pit Bull on my leg and I would’ve shot it. Dead dog and a trip to the ER along with all the bullshit about how cops always shoot dogs. That’s the only thing I wish I’d told the owner. When you hear cops always shoot dogs you tell them about tonight.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Apropos of @Coyotesfan97 post above...from Active Self Protection this morning:

There's nothing civil about this war.

@Coyotesfan97, Yikes! I'm qlad that incident ended without you getting hurt or having to shoot a dog. Your story is a reminder of how situations that are hopefully rare for civilians are commonplace for LEOs. Thanks for all you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    I’d have to look but bear spray probably just has a high percentage of OC. For humans the higher the percentage the longer it takes to decon. 5% works just as well as 10% for the most part.

I’ve never shot a dog on duty. Tonight I came as close as I ever have. My dog was in the car when I got out on an alarm call. He was barking. As I’m walking across the parking lot a Pit Bull comes running around the corner and target locks on me. He’s coming to bite me. I have no doubt. I had my Maglite in my left hand. I swung/pushed it at him as he closed on me (1-2 feet away) while yelling a loud PFUI( Phooey) and flipping the light so I can shine it in his eyes. It’s a Dutch command. It’s a hard harsh command. The dog backed up long enough for the owner to run up and grab it. He says he’s working his “therapy” dog off leash in the retention bastion behind the business I’m checking. The dog hears barking and breaks. I tell him he’s lucky his dogs not shot dead because if it was a patrol Officer I have no doubt there’d have been a shooting.

Another handler was driving by to go around and check the back of the business. He saw it and told me he expected to here some pops. So he pulls up and tells the guy he’s getting a dog at large ticket. The owner starts getting shitty about it to him. He claims to be a homeless vet and had a fixed blade knife and a hatchet on him. Blood pressure rises I basically tell him he needs to STFU, man up, and be happy he doesn’t have a dead dog.

Anyways I never even considered OC as an option. I had a slit second to react and used what I had in my hand. If it hadn’t worked I’d would’ve had a Pit Bull on my leg and I would’ve shot it. Dead dog and a trip to the ER along with all the bullshit about how cops always shoot dogs. That’s the only thing I wish I’d told the owner. When you hear cops always shoot dogs you tell them about tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    @Coyotesfan97, Yikes! I'm qlad that incident ended without you getting hurt or having to shoot a dog. Your story is a reminder of how situations that are hopefully rare for civilians are commonplace for LEOs. Thanks for all you do.
    From one CF to another thank you!
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

What’s the current group think on pepper spray in the time of ‘Rona and everyone wearing face mask? Is there any effectiveness lost in just hitting the eyes with if the mouth and nose are obstructed?

I had a guy stink eye me throughout the garden center at Lowe’s this afternoon for swapping a bad cart for a not bad cart before he could get it. He was masked up and I was thinking through how effective my POM would be with only eyes open if he tried to cause a scene.

Site Supporter
    A mask may or may not reduce respiratory effects, depending upon both the mark and the type/quality of the spray. That said, every OC I've encountered will affect vision. With my current department's gel, that's all that's advertised or that I would hope for.

User Tag List