Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI - Defensive Spray

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I know I don't need to say it, but be careful and safe, brother. There are few people I trust less in the world.
    Thank you and will do.
    www.hero911.org
    Hero911 when seconds save lives.

Site Supporter
    I ordered a couple of these to mount to my mountain bikes.
    https://www.sabrered.com/pepper-spra...spray-flip-top

After having to empty my daily carried Mk6 unit to keep from getting bit recently while out riding and then encountering a separate situation near the trail head that could have easily turned into me needing to spray a crackhead (and not having any more OC on me!) I've decided that the bikes get their own cannister. Since I won't be limited by pocket space why not go bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Crashpad View Post
    I ordered a couple of these to mount to my mountain bikes.
    https://www.sabrered.com/pepper-spra...spray-flip-top
    This is what I’d want for the non- concealed role.
    David S.

If I were her I'd take my chances and carry on the job. There's 1,000s of good paying jobs out there but only one chance at life.

I haven't run through the whole thread, so might be repeating stuff.

My go-to OC spray recommendations for carry for most people included the Sabre MK6 "Red" streamer, the POM units, and the Sabre/ASP key stick/kubotan sprayer.

For larger units the Sabre mk3 sized Red in cone shaped mist or the Crossfire streamer.

No gel. Period, regardless of what Sabre recommends. It's too fucking slow to take effect, period. 30+ seconds is way too long in a fight.

What type of spray? is completely determined by your needs. Cone is the A answer in OC spray, and the most effective way to use it for police work or personal defense.

The risk of "overspray" or "blow back" is greatly overstated.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Student

Defense Technology Mk9 Inert

I ordered this with its 'ert' counterpart for my mom, along with two inert cone Mk3s for me, from Streicher's on June 22nd and got a shipping notice on September the 28th.

I took a few minutes to walk my mom through pulling the pin and depressing the plunger, and then firing at me while seated, and while standing and moving. She got to see the realistic range for best saturation, which was between 3 to 5 yards, so she knows that in the event she needs to spray someone, she really needs to be moving. I finished by setting my shot timer for a 3 second par and demonstrated how close an intruder could advance from most likely points of entry, versus how all that time gets eaten up going from a kicked-back-on-the-couch start to retrieving the canister from where it is staged just a couple feet away.

Name:  20201001_160930.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  38.6 KB

I've taken Chuck's class 2x and MDFI's class 1x. Also been sprayed 2x in the military.

Based on Chuck's recommendation I have always consistently carried the MK6 Sabre Red even if the form factor isn't the greatest. The molded clip is strong, but it easily slides off a belt. So, it gets clipped in my right front pocket. It isn't infallible, though. Within about 4 runs (I'm a runner) one lost its button never to be recovered.

Name:  20201005_091612.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  40.8 KB

Sabre Red does make a POM keychain form factor in spray, but you gotta search for it. I don't like them as my immediate grasp always puts my index finger over the nozzle. Chuck has told me they are more for pre-risk area grasp than emergency grasp.

Name:  20201005_091636.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  37.1 KB

Recently, being in SE Wisconsin, I've picked up 2 Sabre Red MK9 canisters for the wife's use from the passenger side of the car and for house use. One is the DPS fogger and one is the Home Defense gel. In my research and in talking to Chuck I feel I should have gone with two foggers.

Although some good peeps are recommending POM I'm staying away due to the breakage issues mentioned in this thread.

happy OCing, Jerry
    "Draw fast, shoot well," Mike W.

Quote Originally Posted by dustyvarmint View Post
    Although some good peeps are recommending POM I'm staying away due to the breakage issues mentioned in this thread.

happy OCing, Jerry
    Been carrying the POM pocket clip version pretty religiously now for several months. In and out of pockets several times daily...depending on clothing changes for working out, yard work, walking the dog, mailbox runs or going to town. No issues with the clip nor the spring loaded cap (thus far).

Of course I've just jinxed myself so...expect a breakage report any day now.

Wife carries the key chain version...not quite as religiously.
    Last edited by blues; 10-05-2020 at 10:19 AM. Reason: typo
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Been carrying the POM pocket clip version pretty religiously now for several months. In and out of pockets several times daily...depending on clothing changes for working out, yard work, walking the dog, mailbox runs or going to town. No issues with the clip nor the spring loaded cap (thus far).

Of course I've just jinxed myself so...expect a breakage report any day now.
    This is the type to which you are referring?
    https://www.amazon.com/POM-Pepper-Sp.../dp/B08995CV7Y
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    This is the type to which you are referring?
    https://www.amazon.com/POM-Pepper-Sp.../dp/B08995CV7Y
    That's the one I'm carrying. No breakages after a year plus.
    When I leave the house these days, I swap my pocket knife for this POM clip version. Better for maintaining social distances.
    The flip top has seen its share of thumb flicking. Still operating nominally.

FWIW.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List