Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: RFI - Defensive Spray

I am curious if spray has an expiration date? Yesterday while walking my dog two dogs came off of a neighbors porch and the three began growling. I had dog in strong hand and sabre red in off hand. After a few loud verbal commands the owner came and called their dogs. As I was walking off I was thankful to have it but i also couldn't remember when I bought it.
    Is Sabre or POM the go to?

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    When I leave the house these days, I swap my pocket knife for this POM clip version. Better for maintaining social distances.
    Hah! That's exactly what I do!!! I swap my clipped flipper knife for the MK6.
    "Draw fast, shoot well," Mike W.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    This is the type to which you are referring?
    https://www.amazon.com/POM-Pepper-Sp.../dp/B08995CV7Y
    Correct...except I only have one, and a different color.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    I am curious if spray has an expiration date? Yesterday while walking my dog two dogs came off of a neighbors porch and the three began growling. I had dog in strong hand and sabre red in off hand. After a few loud verbal commands the owner came and called their dogs. As I was walking off I was thankful to have it but i also couldn't remember when I bought it.
    If you pull off the bottom part of the POM shell, the expiration date is listed on the canister. Usually about three years or so from date of purchase in our case.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Some time ago, someone had posted a good beginner's how-to video on OC use. I searched this thread and a few others to no avail. I had just picked up some Sabre Red for the mother and sister in law, who finally agreed with recent events that they would carry it (only took 8 years or so).

They're both sharp and fairly aware ladies, but seriously under matched when it comes to a potential physical altercation. Anyone have any good videos on the basics of use? Not a longer MUC, or OC vs. Whatever video.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    Some time ago, someone had posted a good beginner's how-to video on OC use. I searched this thread and a few others to no avail. I had just picked up some Sabre Red for the mother and sister in law, who finally agreed with recent events that they would carry it (only took 8 years or so).

They're both sharp and fairly aware ladies, but seriously under matched when it comes to a potential physical altercation. Anyone have any good videos on the basics of use? Not a longer MUC, or OC vs. Whatever video.

Thanks.
    John Correia at Active Self Protection Extra did a nine(!) part series of Chuck Haggard's OC class. Here's the first part:

From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

That seems to be the consensus. The POM's clip is a potential point of failure, but a benefit of the design/color makes it seem less tactical to a cursory search. Personally, my wife has no desire to carry a sabre OC but given the nicer looking package of the POM, she's more open to carrying so that could be a positive as well for certain family members.

I think it was @blues who told me where to find the expiration date on the POM. The expiration date is really for the propellant rather than the OC. The pressure might have lowered with age as propellants can leak. I’ve seen plenty of “expired” units that sprayed fine and the agent still worked. But I’ve also seen a few where the agent dribbled out.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    That seems to be the consensus. The POM's clip is a potential point of failure, but a benefit of the design/color makes it seem less tactical to a cursory search. Personally, my wife has no desire to carry a sabre OC but given the nicer looking package of the POM, she's more open to carrying so that could be a positive as well for certain family members.
    I have the POM in gray with the orange stripe. I’ve had it for about a year and it’s EDC. No issues with the clip. I also bought another for my oldest daughter.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    I think it was @blues who told me where to find the expiration date on the POM. The expiration date is really for the propellant rather than the OC. The pressure might have lowered with age as propellants can leak. I’ve seen plenty of “expired” units that sprayed fine and the agent still worked. But I’ve also seen a few where the agent dribbled out.
    I guess my spray was my primary. If it had drizzled I would have used my back up of a 642. I had no intentions of getting bit.

User Tag List