Page 4 of 136 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: The Shit Storm that is the NRA Today & How We Got Here

Putting on my business hat ;when an organization is transferring or accepting large sums of money from a source which is not documented in annual reports, alarm bells start ringing. This is effectively how the Enron fraud worked; massive financial losses were hidden in the books of other companies .With the way modern oversight regulations work, the Board of Directors & executive leadership can be liable for accounting fraud like hiding expenses in undocumented companies . This would be more then sufficient motivation for the board to circle the wagons, back LaPierre and hope the heat cools off before government complaint letters get typed up.

This isn't a happy thing when its Mom and Pop Nonprofit; if the NRAs got problems with its books it would be a scandal of the decade. Depending on the nature of the "relationship" between Ackerman McQueen & the NRA , this might be a lot worse then "just" excessive executive perks. The fact the Treasurer wouldn't sign off on tax documentation is a huge red light. Depending on how this cookie crumbles, there may not be an NRA left when the dust settles.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I got the same letter asking me to upgrade before my membership is up and I did the exact same thing the rest of you did - “not a dime until Wayne is gone.”

I think that the NRA is near dead, thanks Wayne.
    I am not a member currently and am not used to "non" profits. Is there a board meeting where a no confidence proxy fight can be made? You cannot make changes until the board and is forced out.

Doner revolt

This was on my news feed this AM. Looks like the major donors have had enough and a coup is in the works.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8985936.html

Because the NRA is in serious financial trouble there may not be enough time to right the ship before the 2020 campaign gets under full swing. That's going to handicap the GOP in their ability to get out the vote.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...mpaign-1395970

The NRA gave 30 million to Trump's campaign in 2016. Maybe Trump will give WLP a job when he finds himself on the street.
    Last edited by Borderland; 07-03-2019 at 09:12 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Maybe Trump will give WLP a job when he finds himself on the street.
    When who is on the street? That's ambiguous. Could be both. The only thing that I see preserving and expanding the RKBA with clarity is a SCOTUS set of decisions. They need to unambiguously declare the creeping state bans against types of guns, accessories and mags as unconstitutional. A fly in the ointment might be fully auto 'assault bangbangs". I use that term to avoid the anal retentive, OCD debate over weapon vs. rifle that gives some gun world folk a thrill.

Similarly, a decision that states must be an easy and convenient shall issue state for carry.

This is not perfect as some folks will want 'constitutional' carry and freeing fully auto guns. But it would work for me.

I can see states increasing restrictions as demographics change and more rampages cause moral panics. I don't trust even a GOP Congress and President, for good reason.

The current NRA, to return to topic, is uncapable or unwilling to frame a message of why such guns should be available that would convince folks who want an evidential, empirical base. Resorting to authority, cliches - some dubious validity, fear mongering of some sort of wave to make you eat Kale, etc. isn't cutting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    When who is on the street? That's ambiguous. Could be both. The only thing that I see preserving and expanding the RKBA with clarity is a SCOTUS set of decisions. They need to unambiguously declare the creeping state bans against types of guns, accessories and mags as unconstitutional. A fly in the ointment might be fully auto 'assault bangbangs". I use that term to avoid the anal retentive, OCD debate over weapon vs. rifle that gives some gun world folk a thrill.

Similarly, a decision that states must be an easy and convenient shall issue state for carry.

This is not perfect as some folks will want 'constitutional' carry and freeing fully auto guns. But it would work for me.

I can see states increasing restrictions as demographics change and more rampages cause moral panics. I don't trust even a GOP Congress and President, for good reason.

The current NRA, to return to topic, is uncapable or unwilling to frame a message of why such guns should be available that would convince folks who want an evidential, empirical base. Resorting to authority, cliches - some dubious validity, fear mongering of some sort of wave to make you eat Kale, etc. isn't cutting it.
    At this point I'm of the view we are best off keeping the Federal government away from gun legislation, pro or anti. Because the overall view of gun rights is N/A inside the Capitol, the best way forward is state level advocacy. This is not to say a national organization wouldn't be helpful, but D.C. is lost cause. By the time appointees and elected officials get there the damage is done. One administrations pro-gun statute is another administrations anti-gun lever.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    I am not a member currently and am not used to "non" profits. Is there a board meeting where a no confidence proxy fight can be made? You cannot make changes until the board and is forced out.
    Non-profits generally don't issue stock, so there's no way to have a proxy fight. In the NRA's case, the directors are elected by the members. Last I heard, maybe 8% of the members eligible to vote send their ballots back. Those chosen by the NRA's nominating committee (I'm going to hazard a guess that WLP controls that) seem to always win.

If Vegas took odds on this, I'l lay down money on "no NRA".
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    At this point I'm of the view we are best off keeping the Federal government away from gun legislation, pro or anti. Because the overall view of gun rights is N/A inside the Capitol, the best way forward is state level advocacy. This is not to say a national organization wouldn't be helpful, but D.C. is lost cause. By the time appointees and elected officials get there the damage is done. One administrations pro-gun statute is another administrations anti-gun lever.
    It'll take that and true grass-roots pressure on those running for Congress. Asking the candidates to speak at the dinner meeting for a gun club, for example.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post

I agree with all of that but your idea of the SC coming to the defense of your RKBA is like hoping the US will have manned space flight to mars in my lifetime. Just isn't going to happen. I don't care who DT appoints to the SC. I seriously hope you aren't waiting for that to happen.

The NRA is dead as a driver in RKBA/nat'l reciprocity/AWB2/shall issue/UBC political arena and the GOP may also be getting seriously ill because of it.

The more I look at this the more I think DT could easily become a one term president. His supporters will say he's solid but I'm not so sure. His batting average doesn't look so good when you compare it to his stated campaign promises.

I'm not saying he hasn't made some good calls but he can't keep running on the same issues he couldn't move the needle on. He has a record now.
    Last edited by Borderland; 07-03-2019 at 12:18 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    If Vegas took odds on this, I'l lay down money on "no NRA".
    It appears that the NRA is being stripped like a stolen car. After reading the article in the OP, I'd wager that the organization is in the late stages of the process.

Site Supporter
    Wayne should ask Hillary on clues how to take the furniture and silver. Keep him out of the museum. BTW, that is a great place to visit before the Estate sale.

User Tag List